Any "Upgrade to digital" option?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by mynamesdenvrmax (2194 posts) -

I haven't bought any disc based games. I only bought digital so far for Xbox One. My wife is bringing home Battlefield 4 right now, if I decided I like it a lot is there a way to pay a smaller fee to get the digital version also?

#2 Edited by Jaysonguy (37556 posts) -

No, that's one of the things that people didn't want so Microsoft took it out

#3 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

No, that's one of the things that people didn't want so Microsoft took it out

yup... MS was going make it where you could insert the disc once to register the game and bam! you could sign in anywhere in the world and access your library. BUT everyone started to cry. of course MR dick Don did a poor ass job getting that info out there.

#4 Posted by mynamesdenvrmax (2194 posts) -

@k2theswiss: Wow.. I thought for sure there might be a small fee to do it. I'd pay $10 to get the digital version but I guess I could just turn around and sell the physical. Great stuff. I enjoy being stuck in the past ::eye roll::

#5 Posted by ankor77 (940 posts) -

I am regretting buying discs for games i play a lot. I wish i went digital for forza and cod. Going back and forth between games and apps is awesome

#6 Posted by kuu2 (6963 posts) -

I don't by any games on disk any longer. I actually started waiting for games to come out on demand on the 36o. Making sure media doesn't get damaged is a total hassle when you have kids. Digital for me all the way.

#7 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@k2theswiss: Wow.. I thought for sure there might be a small fee to do it. I'd pay $10 to get the digital version but I guess I could just turn around and sell the physical. Great stuff. I enjoy being stuck in the past ::eye roll::

#8 Posted by mynamesdenvrmax (2194 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

I don't by any games on disk any longer. I actually started waiting for games to come out on demand on the 36o. Making sure media doesn't get damaged is a total hassle when you have kids. Digital for me all the way.

I agree. It's also helpful when you have multiple consoles. I ended up with 5 Xbox 360's (we use it for TV and other stuff) so having a game in digital form I could go in any room and play without remembering which discs I needed. I know I'll end up with at least one or two more Xbox One's so this kind of screws that up.

My only real worry about going digital is the chance that my ISP could put a data cap on me. I hear at that point you can get business class internet, taking a speed cut but you have no cap. I do run a business from my house so I wouldn't be lying. Downloading COD was a little nuts, it was 39GB and all of our other traffic that day ended up being 60GB in one day.

#9 Posted by sailor232 (4441 posts) -

Yeah my data cap is at 150gigs, so thats roughly about 3 xbox 0ne games and bam!, gone. I love digital though, pc is digital, I even started going digital on my 3ds.

#10 Posted by mynamesdenvrmax (2194 posts) -

Yeah my data cap is at 150gigs, so thats roughly about 3 xbox 0ne games and bam!, gone. I love digital though, pc is digital, I even started going digital on my 3ds.

Are you in the US? I'm genuinely surprised by American ISP's putting caps on us. I know they love money and are losing it since cable isn't as popular but that's just insane. We're always joked about as the land of plenty, why is something like internet capped? I know people abuse it downloading illegally, but I don't. I stopped downloading illegally over a year ago. In that time I've spent tons of money on movies from iTunes, buying some Xbox 360 games digitally and now some Xbox One titles. Caps seem to be the completely wrong route too. Put caps but offer me a way to pay you more to have unlimited, or say 1TB per month as a top tier plan. Time Warner Cable tried to put a 40GB cap on my city a few years back. I do that in a day with normal legal usage and only two people in my house. They offered nothing but that plan and maybe something ridiculous like "250mb per month for $19.99." Thankfully enough people told them were stupid and they didn't do it. I live in fear of them putting a cap on us. Meanwhile Austin is getting Google Fiber and I live 60 miles south of it. I'm hoping they branch outward soon.

#11 Edited by sailor232 (4441 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

Are you in the US? I'm genuinely surprised by American ISP's putting caps on us. I know they love money and are losing it since cable isn't as popular but that's just insane. We're always joked about as the land of plenty, why is something like internet capped? I know people abuse it downloading illegally, but I don't. I stopped downloading illegally over a year ago. In that time I've spent tons of money on movies from iTunes, buying some Xbox 360 games digitally and now some Xbox One titles. Caps seem to be the completely wrong route too. Put caps but offer me a way to pay you more to have unlimited, or say 1TB per month as a top tier plan. Time Warner Cable tried to put a 40GB cap on my city a few years back. I do that in a day with normal legal usage and only two people in my house. They offered nothing but that plan and maybe something ridiculous like "250mb per month for $19.99." Thankfully enough people told them were stupid and they didn't do it. I live in fear of them putting a cap on us. Meanwhile Austin is getting Google Fiber and I live 60 miles south of it. I'm hoping they branch outward soon.

No I live in New Zealand, but I feel you're pain as it is exactly the same here than what you just explained, although I guess my speeds are terrible compared to yours, I average about 700Kb/s download on steam (downloading now at just over 400Kb/ps). I ran out of my 150Gig cap so I upgraded to 500gigs for just another $20, which is a really good deal, although I find it stupid that there is no middle ground, it just goes from 150gigs to 500gigs, pretty stupid. I pay $125 New Zealand dollars a month for this new plan, so I am capped and I have slow speeds haha, but at least I have enough data to do what I want now.

I also stopped illegal downloading, about 2 1/2 years ago, congratulations for going legit, it does make you feel so much better, even though going through 500gigs a month may seem suspicious to a lot of people, it is very easy to accomplish.

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

LOL. You want to pay more cash for a game thats already yours ! Haha !

Digital is nice but no way am I gonna pay extra cash for something I already own. I have principals.

You know what would be cool though.... Return your hardcopy to retailer in exchange for a key for the digital version...... For free. Actually its not free, you still have to download the game with your own internet, and in my country 4Giggs of data is $40. So yeah right back to retail. Its the proven pipeline.

#13 Edited by Evdne971 (223 posts) -

Why would you pay more than 60 bucks for a game.

People are getting more and more stupid with their money.

#14 Edited by commandokock (500 posts) -

only problem is when people start getting bored with a game that theyve downloaded theyre still stuck with it instead of being able to trade it in towards buying something else