an Xbox fan tracks me down (bit of a blog)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I went to my nearest big city to scope out the second hand scene. I sometimes find some great retro games for my collection on my quest. Anyway, I went to a pawn shop to hunt for bargains. I heard wild rumors of a second hand Wii U for $100. While trying to run in and not look like a deranged fan I was casually flipping through games. And while doing so and minding my own business, a complete stranger struck up a conversation with me.

He was a older guy, maybe in his early to mid 40s. He looked like a worker. He had some salt in his pepper hair. A deep tan and a big smile on his face. He immediately told me about his latest purchase. Xbox One! He told me about how he can watch TV and play games at the same time. He told me about how great the games look. He told me how he can look up things while playing games and how its such a great purchase. He was even proud of the voice commands and didn't mind paying the $499 price at all. He didn't have to sell me on the product. I think it has a great future and that when it gets the exclusives I want I'll be there too.

After about 5 minutes of excited conversation and some game suggestions I quietly excused myself from the conversation. I finally tracked down that rumored $100 Wii U, which was a lie. After quietly taking stock of what was there I decided to move on. After passing him again I shook his hand and told him congratulations on his purchase. He gave me a huge smile and said thank you.

Its pretty funny. After visiting here on sites like these you get desensitized towards things like seeing a guy smile and be happy with their console. He didn't have some guy laughing in his face about how PS4 is better. He didn't have someone talking about which games is or isn't on the system. Or about how its selling. Just a guy with their system and discovering the new features that brought a smile to his face and joy so powerful that he decided to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger about it. It brings me hope that this console war business isn't as bad as people on the internet want you to believe. Either way that guys excitement and smile is something that made me smile. And I hope that he enjoys his Xbox One for a long time.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

That's a cool experience.

Unfortunately all I ever run into are PS4 owners.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bunchanumbers

It was great. You could visually tell he was excited for his system. It reminded me of when I got my first NES as a child. Its a great reminder that consoles, while technologically advanced, are still toys that appeal to the inner child in all of us, no matter how old we are. It brought me great joy. He didn't complain about resolution or frame rate. Or about timed exclusives. He was just happy with his system. And in the end isn't that what we all hope for with our consoles and games?

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Sounds like you two should have got a room. o_0

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bunchanumbers

@hitmanactual: No harm in being happy for someone who is happy with a console. I just think that with all the console hatred that gets pushed by the media today that a different perspective wouldn't hurt anyone.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Bunchanumbers probably blushing while the older gentlemen was talking to him and finds himself oddly compelled to go back to that store. Maybe his dark tan and silver streaked hair was very welcoming ; )

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mercuria1_King

@bunchanumbers said:

It was great. You could visually tell he was excited for his system. It reminded me of when I got my first NES as a child. Its a great reminder that consoles, while technologically advanced, are still toys that appeal to the inner child in all of us, no matter how old we are. It brought me great joy. He didn't complain about resolution or frame rate. Or about timed exclusives. He was just happy with his system. And in the end isn't that what we all hope for with our consoles and games?

It's rare you see that these days, my cousin bought a PS4 because all of his friends got one and I do not see the joy in his face when he talks about it. After I got my Xbox One and he came over he wished he would of gotten one as well.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#9 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@mercuria1_king said:

@bunchanumbers said:

It's rare you see that these days, my cousin bought a PS4 because all of his friends got one and I do not see the joy in his face when he talks about it. After I got my Xbox One and he came over he wished he would of gotten one as well.

The argument can go either way because both system don't have anything really to brag about at the moment....and I think just about any MATURE gamer can agree with that.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Yeah bro its the little things like that!

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercuria1_King

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@bunchanumbers said:

The argument can go either way because both system don't have anything really to brag about at the moment....and I think just about any MATURE gamer can agree with that.

I feel that both systems for the most part do not have anything to brag about really. The only thing that the Xbox One has going for it is better games that are out and will be this Fall.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MarcRecon

@mercuria1_king said:

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@bunchanumbers said:

I feel that both systems for the most part do not have anything to brag about really. The only thing that the Xbox One has going for it is better games that are out and will be this Fall.

Yet again I say, someone who owns the OTHER system can say the exact same thing but in REALITY neither systems has been impressive with the games that are available....and the fall won't be any different because neither company will be releasing any major exclusives, only the 3rd party tittles will be pushing the systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Yeah, it's nice to meet people who can hold a mature conversation about games. I know it's rare to find people who like all of the same types of games and for similar reasons, and it's even rarer to find people who don't let social pressures and popularity dictate what kinds of games they play. It's good to know that even if millions of us complain about this or that game that didn't live up to our high standards, someone out there can still appreciate it.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mercuria1_King

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@bunchanumbers said:

Yet again I say, someone who owns the OTHER system can say the exact same thing but in REALITY neither systems has been impressive with the games that are available....and the fall won't be any different because neither company will be releasing any major exclusives, only the 3rd party tittles will be pushing the systems.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree,

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MarcRecon

@mercuria1_king said:

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@bunchanumbers said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@MarcRecon said:

@mercuria1_king said:

@bunchanumbers said:

And that's what MATURE adults do...agree to disagree. :)

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Nice.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
@bunchanumbers said:

I went to my nearest big city to scope out the second hand scene. I sometimes find some great retro games for my collection on my quest. Anyway, I went to a pawn shop to hunt for bargains. I heard wild rumors of a second hand Wii U for $100. While trying to run in and not look like a deranged fan I was casually flipping through games. And while doing so and minding my own business, a complete stranger struck up a conversation with me.

He was a older guy, maybe in his early to mid 40s. He looked like a worker. He had some salt in his pepper hair. A deep tan and a big smile on his face. He immediately told me about his latest purchase. Xbox One! He told me about how he can watch TV and play games at the same time. He told me about how great the games look. He told me how he can look up things while playing games and how its such a great purchase. He was even proud of the voice commands and didn't mind paying the $499 price at all. He didn't have to sell me on the product. I think it has a great future and that when it gets the exclusives I want I'll be there too.

After about 5 minutes of excited conversation and some game suggestions I quietly excused myself from the conversation. I finally tracked down that rumored $100 Wii U, which was a lie. After quietly taking stock of what was there I decided to move on. After passing him again I shook his hand and told him congratulations on his purchase. He gave me a huge smile and said thank you.

Its pretty funny. After visiting here on sites like these you get desensitized towards things like seeing a guy smile and be happy with their console. He didn't have some guy laughing in his face about how PS4 is better. He didn't have someone talking about which games is or isn't on the system. Or about how its selling. Just a guy with their system and discovering the new features that brought a smile to his face and joy so powerful that he decided to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger about it. It brings me hope that this console war business isn't as bad as people on the internet want you to believe. Either way that guys excitement and smile is something that made me smile. And I hope that he enjoys his Xbox One for a long time.

Yeah it's great to see isn't it... instead of all the usual BS that occurs on sites like this.

And with all the hype around PS4 and negativity around XB1, I'm sure a lot of people made a rushed decision in what console to buy and are now regretting it somewhat. And reading some of the stories on here, I'm sure that's the case.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

and i thought tracks you down as a freak murderer

WiCkStaR1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WiCkStaR1
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

That's awesome. I just bought my xbox one yesterday and absolutely love it. So many cool features. I even found myself smiling at weird moments each time I discovered a new element.