360 overheating

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NevecLP (859 posts) -

Ok recently for the last 2 weeks or so, my 360 randomly overheats. This has happened before with my other 360's (yeah what a surprise i've had more than 1) but this week has been the worst, i can stay on the dashboard for however long, but as soon as i play a game for more than 5 minutes, it will overheat. It is on a hard surface lots of ventilation space and is standing vertically. Can anyone help please because i've pre ordered Red dead redemption and i don't want this to keep happening....

#2 Posted by bulletproofcow (11261 posts) -

Have you tried putting it horizontal? That may help, mine would overheat easily when vertical before I got it replaced (RRoD)

#3 Posted by NevecLP (859 posts) -

Yeah well i've just started using it vertically actually and it only overheated since i started that. But i'll try it horizontal again and hopefully i can play RD:R without any problems.

#4 Posted by dragonps (1667 posts) -
A couple of things to find out, how recent is your 360? by that I mean what chip set model is it? The falcon's (my old 360) are old and prone to overheating, the newer jasper chipsets (found in the resi evil red 360's and now in most new ones) are a lot better and cooler. Also it can depend on what game your playing, some games are more CPU taxing than others. Assassins Creed 2 would freeze on me quiet a bit, but super street fighter 4 has never froze once. Lay it down sideways and make sure the room is cool, don't have it on a carpet either.
#5 Posted by NevecLP (859 posts) -

A couple of things to find out, how recent is your 360? by that I mean what chip set model is it? The falcon's (my old 360) are old and prone to overheating, the newer jasper chipsets (found in the resi evil red 360's and now in most new ones) are a lot better and cooler. Also it can depend on what game your playing, some games are more CPU taxing than others. Assassins Creed 2 would freeze on me quiet a bit, but super street fighter 4 has never froze once. Lay it down sideways and make sure the room is cool, don't have it on a carpet either.dragonps

well when i used to have it on a carpet horizontally it didn't overheat... But the game i was playing was CoD5, it happened on the REACH beta too and i haven't bought a game since january 2009 so i haven't got any new ones that may require more CPU apart from the reach beta. I have the beta but not ODST i won a code from hollywood halo. The last game i bought was lotr conquest. I don't play the xbox much either :/ i just hope that keeping it horizontal works.

#6 Posted by dragonps (1667 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonps"]A couple of things to find out, how recent is your 360? by that I mean what chip set model is it? The falcon's (my old 360) are old and prone to overheating, the newer jasper chipsets (found in the resi evil red 360's and now in most new ones) are a lot better and cooler. Also it can depend on what game your playing, some games are more CPU taxing than others. Assassins Creed 2 would freeze on me quiet a bit, but super street fighter 4 has never froze once. Lay it down sideways and make sure the room is cool, don't have it on a carpet either.NevecLP

well when i have it on a carpet horizontal it doesn't overheat... But the game i was playing was CoD5, it happened on the REACH beta too and i haven't bought a game since january 2009 so i haven't got any new ones that may require more CPU. I have the beta but not ODST i won a code from hollywood halo. The last game i bought was lotr conquest and i don't play it much either :/ i just hope that keeping it horizontal works.

if you can help it dont have it on a carpet, trust me on this. But i hope things work out for you :)
#7 Posted by Infinite-Zr0 (13284 posts) -
First I would take some canned air and try cleaning out any dust in your system. Unfortunately you won't be able to get to the heat sinks without opening it up and voiding your warranty. Also, what I like to do is take 2 VHS tapes and laying them down side by side(so that it makes more of a square shape rather than a long rectangle). Then I place my 360 horizontally on the 2 tapes. That way all of the vents have open air to suck in.