2 Xbox consoles

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Makem73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Makem73
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
My son is getting a second console at Christmas to use at my house, leaving his original console at his mum's house. He wants both consoles to have the same games history; can anyone tell me how best to do this?
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

My son is getting a second console at Christmas to use at my house, leaving his original console at his mum's house. He wants both consoles to have the same games history; can anyone tell me how best to do this?Makem73

I'm not sure what you mean by game history?

If you mean the Achievements he earned. Those are tied to his gamertag and will show up on both consoles as long as he signs into Live. They will synch automatically.

If you mean game saves then he will either have to be a Live Gold subscriber and use the cloud storage option, or use a USB thumb drive and save the game saves to that. He can also just swap out the hard drive if the xbox 360s are the same style. Meaning, both are the 360 Slim, or both are the old style with the pop off hard drive.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Even using the Cloud Storage option, you'll still need a thumb drive or other memory unit for the profile itself. While the saved game data can live in the Cloud, the profile has to be stored on local media (hard drive, memory card, usb stick). That must be brought back and forth between Xboxes.

-Byshop

SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#4 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Even using the Cloud Storage option, you'll still need a thumb drive or other memory unit for the profile itself. While the saved game data can live in the Cloud, the profile has to be stored on local media (hard drive, memory card, usb stick). That must be brought back and forth between Xboxes.

-Byshop

Byshop

Whilst this used to be the case it isn't any longer. Your son can download his profile ( assuming he has Xbox Live ) onto the new console at your house and then use either console without having to do anything. Both will automatically update his achievements etc and he will see a message when he logs onto the other one " xxxxx was previously logged in on a different console".

Then assuming Gold membership he can use the cloud storage to make sure the game saves themselves are available in either place ( or he can use a USB flash drive )

I have 7 xboxs that I, the wife and our 4 kids all interchange with so have a lot of experience with this. One word of warning - some games don't like having their saves moved too often. I have twice lost 30+ hours of driving time on my Forza 4 save due to it corrupting after a move!!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator

Whilst this used to be the case it isn't any longer. Your son can download his profile ( assuming he has Xbox Live ) onto the new console at your house and then use either console without having to do anything. Both will automatically update his achievements etc and he will see a message when he logs onto the other one " xxxxx was previously logged in on a different console".

Then assuming Gold membership he can use the cloud storage to make sure the game saves themselves are available in either place ( or he can use a USB flash drive )

I have 7 xboxs that I, the wife and our 4 kids all interchange with so have a lot of experience with this. One word of warning - some games don't like having their saves moved too often. I have twice lost 30+ hours of driving time on my Forza 4 save due to it corrupting after a move!!

SadPSPAddict

I think the feature you are describing is profile recovery, which allows you to redownload a profile that has been lost. This feature actually predates cloud storage and you -can- use it to move a profile back and forth but it's not really intended for that. Since you can only have one valid copy of your profile at one time, the previous copy on your old console becomes invalid and has to be deleted. Since the save games are tied to the profile there's a chance of corruption if you do this over and over.

Eventually the plan is to add the ability to save your profile to Cloud Storage as well as your save data but at the moment that feature does not yet exist. The recommended method is to pass a storage device back and forth that contains the profile rather than recovering/deleting it over and over again.

-Byshop

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
Either use cloud storage or use a USB flash drive. I'd recommend using Cloud. It's too bad you can't just pop out that HDD.
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

Since you can only have one valid copy of your profile at one time, the previous copy on your old console becomes invalid and has to be deleted.

-Byshop

Byshop

Incorrect my friend incorrect. I move back and forth between consoles all the time and you don't have to do anything to move profiles anymore - you are some months out of date!!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Byshop  Moderator

Incorrect my friend incorrect. I move back and forth between consoles all the time and you don't have to do anything to move profiles anymore - you are some months out of date!!

SadPSPAddict

Perhaps I am. I'll check it out.

-Byshop