This topic is locked from further discussion.

protoking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 protoking
Member since 2006 • 48 Posts

*WARNING A LONG POST IS AHEAD, LEAVE NOW IF YOUR NOT BIG ON READING*

This is going to be a rant on how my 360 feels more useless everyday.

Got the thing for Christmas 2006 and LOVED THAT WHITE BOX. I wouldn't trade it for the world, afterall it was letting me play the most amazing game I had ever played: Gears of War.

Sept 2007 rolled around and Gears of War was still the "it" game on Live, I had played a few other games like NFS:MW but Gears of War is what kept me happy.

Anyway enter Halo 3, well I enjoyed this game to an extent. The campaign was awesome but the multiplayer was very similar to Halo 2 and it still had that damn matchmaking that prevents me from playing a map that I ACTUALLY WANT TO PLAY.

2 Months later and I was back on Gears of War but all my friends were on a fresh game called COD4. I rented the thing but hated it off the start, dying in two shots? No thank you. Constant grenade spam from the other side of the map? No thank you. And to back up my COD4 hate came.... yes even more matchmaking. It was 2007 and I still can't pick my map in online play like in Gears of War? pfff.

Around March 2008 COD4 finally died among my friends and we were back to Gears of War with the occassional Halo 3 when we felt like getting team stacked against Generals and not being able to pick our map. (my point is that we didn't play Halo 3 often.)

November 2008 rolls around and we all prepare to the sequel to what was me and my friends favorite game ever GEARS OF WAR 2. We imagined the countless nights we would be playing on this thing..... only we were wrong. The game was a horrible glitch fest with balance issues up the ass, they slowed the entire thing down and now camping is all anybody ever does period. To put the icing on the pile of crap they threw in matchmaking as well.... another game ruined by the inability to pick my damn map!

Here I am now in March 2009, the most popular games are the different flavors of COD, Halo, and the now ruined Gears of War franchise... all are complete with matchmaking that won't let me play what I want and all are completly useless to me.

ARE WE EVER GOING TO GET A COMPLETLY REVOLUTIONARY GAME WHERE I CAN ACTUALLY PICK MY MAP, DON'T DIE IN TWO SHOTS, AND ISN'T A GLITCH RIDDEN CAMP FEST AND HAVE IT BE POPULAR?

My LIVE subscription is about to expire and I honestly can't think of any reason to renew it.... what keeps you guys coming back on LIVE and how can you stand matchmaking?

As of now my PC gets way more action than my 360. Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2 keep me coming back to my PC where nothing popular on the 360 is even slightly appealing to me.

Shika_Stoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Shika_Stoner
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts

Well Gears 2 is suppossed to be getting fixed...eventually. But I stopped playing those super competitive games back when I realized that they had terrible communities. Back on Halo 2 I think. But there are a few games that are good online. But I mainly use XBL for DLC.

protoking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 protoking

Well Gears 2 is suppossed to be getting fixed...eventually. But I stopped playing those super competitive games back when I realized that they had terrible communities. Back on Halo 2 I think. But there are a few games that are good online. But I mainly use XBL for DLC.

Shika_Stoner

There going to fix a few things but it'll still be extremly slow with "stopping power" which litteraly paralizes you when being shot. Smoke nades are also a cheap gimic which won't be completly removed and bullett lag still exists from the first game. Also the new maps are all terrible.

I noticed your avatar... and that reminded me of a game I left out. Mass Effect had the best story of any game period.... I'm looking foward to number 2 greatly and it may be one of the only reasons I don't sell my 360.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

kinda feel teh same way, but about the online modes. my gold ran out 3 weeks ago and i havent renewed it (even though i get it cheaper then most through work). I am moving into my own home that i am buying in about 2 months and just dont see teh need to get back online till then (due to interent connection swappingaround, dont wanna waste gold if not online).

Fogotmypantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fogotmypantz
Member since 2005 • 821 Posts

Sorry? PC you have to buy hardware upgrades to even play games from year to year. Gets a little pricey. And most PC games are on the 360 anyway.

Shika_Stoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Shika_Stoner
Member since 2008 • 918 Posts

Yeah Mass Effect has some serious story line man. There is supposed to be some new DLC coming out for it soon. I just hope that EA's influence doesn't ruin the next 2 games. Their new Dragon Age game looks intense.

But about online play... I don't usually matchmake unless I have 1 or 2 friends in my XBL party anyway.

protoking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 protoking

Sorry? PC you have to buy hardware upgrades to even play games from year to year. Gets a little pricey. And most PC games are on the 360 anyway.

Fogotmypantz

If you know what to buy when, it'll last you a few years.

Besides my fav. PC games are FAR better supported on the PC. (l4D and TF2)

TF2- not one update for the 360.

L4D- The PC has recived many bug fixes the 360 won't see till' spring.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
ive gotten to that point a couple times in my life, but now isnt one of them, i have way too many games that ive barely played (havent even put mass effect in my disc tray yet) but also in saying that ive always loved Halos multiplayer, and having to play maps and modes you dont like is part of the game (which is good cause its nice to have a change, otherwise u thing u loved youd soon hate cause ud play it non stop) and its great with friends
mtbrdude87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 mtbrdude87
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts

Simple answer: Rainbow Six. The amount of strategy required in the game keeps all the kids with short attention spans out, so there's none of that annoying crap that plauges halo and gears. You CHOOSE what map/game type you want, and you can even customize game options. As for it being a camp fest, you'll find that there are very few places to camp, and even if you find a nice juicy spot, it won't be safe for very long.

The only thing that sucks is that most of the community has moved on to the CoD games. At this point in time I'd pass over the original R6: Vegas and go straight for the second one, if you're looking for online fun. If you also enjoy single player then get the first R6: Vegas as well, because the story is better in it :)

protoking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 protoking

ive gotten to that point a couple times in my life, but now isnt one of them, i have way too many games that ive barely played (havent even put mass effect in my disc tray yet) but also in saying that ive always loved Halos multiplayer, and having to play maps and modes you dont like is part of the game (which is good cause its nice to have a change, otherwise u thing u loved youd soon hate cause ud play it non stop) and its great with friendschaoscougar1

I'm usually aware when I'm playing something "too much" (a map, gametype etc.) and will move onto something else. But to take away nearly all my choice is just terrible and thats what every matchmaking system I've seen has done.

L4D has a matchmaker that lets you pick your "map" (known as "movies") so why not Halo, COD, and Gears 2?

Most even penalize you for leaving, I can't help not wanting to play Sandtrap on Halo 3 for the 4th time in a row just because the matchmaker wants me to.

Or even staying in a laggy game the matchmaker put me in (dispite me hitting "prefer good connection") will get me penalized as well.

Fogotmypantz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fogotmypantz
Member since 2005 • 821 Posts

[QUOTE="Fogotmypantz"]

protoking

I won't disagree. I work on computers so I know how to build them but for average Joe's it can be more complicated than just buying a console. And it has been a known grip that Valve only cares about their PC users that's why the 360 doesn't see updates for a long time.
protoking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 protoking

Simple answer: Rainbow Six. The amount of strategy required in the game keeps all the kids with short attention spans out, so there's none of that annoying crap that plauges halo and gears. You CHOOSE what map/game type you want, and you can even customize game options. As for it being a camp fest, you'll find that there are very few places to camp, and even if you find a nice juicy spot, it won't be safe for very long.

The only thing that sucks is that most of the community has moved on to the CoD games. At this point in time I'd pass over the original R6: Vegas and go straight for the second one, if you're looking for online fun. If you also enjoy single player then get the first R6: Vegas as well, because the story is better in it :)

mtbrdude87

I actually own R6V2 but only bought it because my friends said they were going to....bastards didn't and left me alone with it. I beat campaign and haven't touched it much yet.

As mentioned in my OP I hate games where I die in seemingly two shots... are there any game modes that let me instantly respawn?

Dying in two shots from a pistol from half way across the map and then waiting 5 min to play again is pretty boring IMO.

mtbrdude87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mtbrdude87
Member since 2003 • 136 Posts

there are some multiplayer modes that let you respawn. I forget what they're called, but try them out. I know there's one with a "bomb" that keeps swapping hands throughout the game.

I also just thought of this... if your PC is decent, maybe pick up Unreal Tourny 3. It's pretty cheap now and still has a decent online community. :)

jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jasopan
Member since 2006 • 2360 Posts
Agreed, kinda, i really love Cod but Tf2 is the **** i LOVE that game, 20 hours straight in 2 days xD
protoking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 protoking

[QUOTE="protoking"]

[QUOTE="Fogotmypantz"]

Fogotmypantz

I won't disagree. I work on computers so I know how to build them but for average Joe's it can be more complicated than just buying a console. And it has been a known grip that Valve only cares about their PC users that's why the 360 doesn't see updates for a long time.

Yea, if my fav. games weren't Valve games then I could see more of a point for renewing that LIVE subscription.

Also, I'm going to guess that L4D's community will be far larger than the 360 version in a few years.

I also hate how the population on Console games roll over and die as soon as a new console comes out. Good luck getting on your Xbox1 and getting into an online match of anything other than Halo 2 onine.

My PC games will still be played years from now.

Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Iraqi_Gangster
Member since 2008 • 503 Posts

[QUOTE="mtbrdude87"]

protoking

I actually own R6V2 but only bought it because my friends said they were going to....bastards didn't and left me alone with it. I beat campaign and haven't touched it much yet.

As mentioned in my OP I hate games where I die in seemingly two shots... are there any game modes that let me instantly respawn?

Dying in two shots from a pistol from half way across the map and then waiting 5 min to play again is pretty boring IMO.

Unreal Tournament 3 lets you instantly respawn after you die.