xbox360 controller turns off randomly

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by tacosrule193 (780 posts) -
ok i was playing halo 3, then my 360 wireless controller turns off randomly. happened to me 5 -6 times now....maybe its the batteries? it keeps saying "controller disconnected," then i have turn it on. what happened to it?
#2 Posted by devil_1994 (596 posts) -

its the batteries

to make sure its the batteries go to the xbox guide menu above there will be a sign of a batterie beside itthere will be like slashes they are four if they were 2 or less then its the batteries hope this helped:D

#3 Posted by cecx (10568 posts) -
Sometimes the battery packs are touchy too...if you press on them too hard it bump it it'll come loose and reconnect thus turning the controller off.
#4 Posted by APOLLOCJD (2311 posts) -
lol recharge your batteries dude
#5 Posted by APOLLOCJD (2311 posts) -

Sometimes the battery packs are touchy too...if you press on them too hard it bump it it'll come loose and reconnect thus turning the controller off.cecx

That has never happened to me, maybe you broke something on your controller?

#6 Posted by Paco765 (25 posts) -
The same thing happens to me way too much!!! Very annoying! It seems though with brand new batteries the controller works BETTER but still turns off randomly.
#7 Posted by KJesler16 (88 posts) -
its dead..
#8 Posted by KittensWithBeer (782 posts) -

One of lifes many lessons is that if your controller keeps turning off, you need to replace the batteries.

#9 Posted by M-e-t-h-o-d-206 (1986 posts) -
change the batteries lol
#10 Posted by BLElliott (104 posts) -
I had one that the battery case was not quite right and it would shut off all the time, but that was right out of the box so I just had to return it.
#11 Posted by manhunt420 (674 posts) -
Change your batteries!
#12 Posted by groundworker123 (25 posts) -
Either get new batteries (or charge them), or make sure that they're pressed firmly into the little pack thing
#13 Posted by Twisted-Ice-God (755 posts) -
get the charge and play kit... it saves batteries and the enviornment :p
#14 Posted by cheesytaco69 (296 posts) -

When the controller starts flashin... change the batteries. Or charge them. It's better to have rechargable packs or batteries.

#15 Posted by Lepuke (644 posts) -

a loose battery pack can cause this as well.

I fixed my own by using a pair of plier's and pulling the springs that make contact with the batteries out some. (Sometimes they can get compressed and not push as much as they should)

#16 Posted by Lunchbucket16 (1637 posts) -
loose battery pack or you need new batteries
#17 Posted by sillyhaloplayer (25 posts) -
This happens to me, as well. My batteries are full, They're duck.taped on so they can't be loose, and it happens randomly, and whenever I use a Gravity Hammer. At first I assumed it was because of the vibration. But it vibrates with the assault rifle, too, but it doesn't turn off then.
#18 Posted by Console_Gamer13 (160 posts) -
i had this same problem, its your battery pack, its just coming lose, if you have another controller switch the batter packs and it should be fine, it worked for me
#19 Posted by tenvertigo (25 posts) -
assuming your battery is not dead and the controller turns off when you press on the pack, this will fix it: (don't press too hard, that might be what causes this) under the battery pack that little 'nub' presses on something that breaks the connection between the two batteries(also possible that the 'nub' pressing is what completes the connection--my pack had a little crack next to the 'nub hole')... if you bridge the contacts on the bottom of the pack, it will never happen again... I used a folded piece of foil--just dropped it down shook it until it was over both contacts and shoved the batteries in. fixed forever and ever. (not really dangerous, but does defeat the purpose of the 'nub' and 'nub hole' action...)
#20 Posted by bronxxbombers (2840 posts) -
Minne does that even with half charged batteries, sometimes.
#21 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -

Pretty sure it's the batteries.

#22 Posted by Meth0d81 (25 posts) -
Although batteries would cause this to happen you would have to be a complete idiot not to notice they are on the way out. I have this problem with my black controller, It doesn't matter if they are brand spanking new batteries or half charged ones, it still cuts out.It is a controller issue with the contacts not making much like with the guitar hero les paul guitar problem. Try bending the contacts in the pack and the springs on the controller out a bit, this works for me.
#23 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

It's not always a battery problem.

I have a wireless mouse/keyboard from MS, if I play my 360 near them the controller dissconects every 2 minutes. So be careful of other wireless devices near you.

#24 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

I have a wireless mouse/keyboard from MS, if I play my 360 near them the controller dissconects every 2 minutes. So be careful of other wireless devices near you.

#25 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

#26 Posted by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

#27 Posted by Stevo7991 (1319 posts) -
Although batteries would cause this to happen you would have to be a complete idiot not to notice they are on the way out. I have this problem with my black controller, It doesn't matter if they are brand spanking new batteries or half charged ones, it still cuts out.It is a controller issue with the contacts not making much like with the guitar hero les paul guitar problem. Try bending the contacts in the pack and the springs on the controller out a bit, this works for me.Meth0d81
You know whats funny, this thread was made in 2007 then some guy bumped it a year later and then another year later a person bumped it and 1 and a quarter year later you bumped it, I highly doubt that the TC cares about this, he probably got it fixed by now.
#28 Posted by retoonetoo (25 posts) -
i had this same problem, its your battery pack, its just coming lose, if you have another controller switch the batter packs and it should be fine, it worked for meConsole_Gamer13
I have two controllers. I switched them around and it was worse with the other controller.
#29 Posted by RaIn285 (3010 posts) -

Get a wired controller!Its just so old school,i love my wired controller :D

#30 Posted by fireguy9095 (25 posts) -
Need some help!!! Have brand new batteries in my xbox wireless controller. And it still shuts off!!! I even went as far as wrapping the battery pack in electrical tape and yet still shuts off. Any ideas???