Xbox One will support avatars, but Microsoft expects more 'real images'

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crusadernm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crusadernm
Member since 2009 • 1609 Posts

Xbox One will support avatars like Xbox 360, but Microsoft believes that users will use more "real images" to represent themselves on the next-gen console, Ben Killgore, corporate vice president of interactive entertainment business, told EGMnow.

"Avatars are still around," Kilgore said. "Identity is a big thing for us. We believe on Xbox One, people will start to use more real images of themselves as well, but we still support Avatars."

Avatars were introduced to the Xbox 360 in 2008 alongside the New Xbox Experience. The revamped user interface also allowed players to create and customize avatars to represent their profiles. Several games, including 1 vs. 100 and Guitar Hero 5, allow players' avatars to be used in-game.

After Xbox One's unveiling yesterday, Microsoft representatives told Polygon that Xbox Live Gold accounts would work both on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One and that users will be able to chat and communicate across platforms. For more on the Xbox One, check out our StoryStream below.

Maverick6585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Maverick6585
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

That's stupid. I don't want some creeper who still llives with his mother and murders small children in his spare time to see my face.

Sonny360Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sonny360Elite
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts

That's stupid. I don't want some creeper who still llives with his mother and murders small children in his spare time to see my face.

Maverick6585
I don't need anyone to see my face. It doesn't really matter. The whole idea is silly.
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts
As if DRM isn't bad enough.. Now they are shoving Kinect down our throats, and telling us its what we wanted and need..
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#5 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I dont need people I dont know, being able to see me.. and i don't want to see peoples avatars show up randomly throughout playing cause I'm sure lots of people will be taking pictures of their privates.
XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts
As if DRM isn't bad enough.. Now they are shoving Kinect down our throats, and telling us its what we wanted and need..Warablo13
kinda like apple
Desynkronic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Desynkronic
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts
People here blowing things out of proportions its as if instead of Microsoft saying "Avatars are still around," Kilgore said. "Identity is a big thing for us. We believe on Xbox One, people will start to use more real images of themselves as well, but we still support Avatars." What every one heard: ""Avatars are gone," Kilgore said. "Identity is a big thing for us. We believe on Xbox One, people will use more real images of themselves as well, but we will never support Avatars again, oh and you have no choice but to take a picture with our kinect!."
XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

THIS IS IN PLAYSTATION 4 TOO. Just want to confirm that. 

http://ps4daily.com/2013/03/playstation-4-can-use-both-real-names-and-psn-ids/

This is an optional feature just like Xbox One. You can choose to put a picture of yourself, or just simply keep your original name on Xbox One/PSN. There should be no complaining about this.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

[QUOTE="Desynkronic"]People here blowing things out of proportions its as if instead of Microsoft saying "Avatars are still around," Kilgore said. "Identity is a big thing for us. We believe on Xbox One, people will start to use more real images of themselves as well, but we still support Avatars." What every one heard: ""Avatars are gone," Kilgore said. "Identity is a big thing for us. We believe on Xbox One, people will use more real images of themselves as well, but we will never support Avatars again, oh and you have no choice but to take a picture with our kinect!."[/QUOTElol peopel are not afraid to post stupid pictures of them selve on facebook but once you bring gaming profile into question the people get but hurt.Â