Xbox One Controller Battery Duration (bad)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by andfx8 (539 posts) -

Is it just me or do normal AA batteries not last as long in the Xbox One controllers? Yes, I know I can buy a rechargeable battery kit.

Also, is there a way to check the amount of charge left in the batteries? I know with the Xbox 360 this was possible.

#2 Posted by Airsoftman819 (50 posts) -

Yeah ive had the same issue. And no... There is no way to check. Its total bullshit.

#3 Posted by SolidTy (49931 posts) -

@andfx8 said:

Is it just me or do normal AA batteries not last as long in the Xbox One controllers?Yes, I know I can buy a rechargeable battery kit.

Also, is there a way to check the amount of charge left in the batteries? I know with the Xbox 360 this was possible.

It sucks, I know.

I wish the Xbone controllers had internal batteries.

#4 Edited by ahmedmandy (48 posts) -

From me, it lasts pretty much the same as my 360's, more or less.

By the way, if this bothers you that much - don't even think about buying a PS4. Its controller barely lasts 5 hours.

#5 Edited by sukraj (26514 posts) -

I only game for 1 hour every few days so I don't have this problem with batteries.

#6 Posted by Alucard_Prime (7144 posts) -

@andfx8: Not sure why it is like that for you, but batteries in my X1 controller last much longer than I remember them on the 360, easily a full week and I usually play several hours per day. I use rechargeables now, but when I first got my Xbox One I just used normal AA batteries and I was shocked at how long they lasted I think I only had to change them after like a week and a half of heaving gaming. It could depend on the game(using rumble feature a lot?) I don't know.

#7 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

I don't care so much about battery life, as long as a fully charged battery can get me through a six hour Saturday Ghosts session, that's all that really matters since I have two controllers, two charge and play kits, and can swap out when I'm done.

I just care about knowing how long's left. It doesn't have to be the specific percentage like on our smartphones; one to four bars is fine. As long as we can end my playing online and having the controller die in the middle of battle is most important.

#8 Edited by CBCstillmatic (75 posts) -

I'm actually really happy with the life I am getting out of the Xbox ONE controller with the official play and charge kits. For comparison my PS4 controllers are really bad and much shorter life than my PS3 controllers. I got the play and charge kits shortly after Christmas and so far I have had to charge my PS4 controller 3 times and my Xbox ONE controller is still going on its initial charge. I can also say I play my ONE a good amount more than my PS4 since thats the console I have Ghosts on and more friends online.

My only complaint about the Xbox ONE controller thus far is the design of the battery bay. I wish they would have used the design from the 360 where the battery pack fills the entire bay and had the nice little charging stand. The ONE version I have to use the console to charge and the battery packs themselves do not seam as easy to swap during game play if needed.(I know there were other options with contact charging but I admittedly usually like first party accessories and didn't really research it since I thought the 360 kits were great)

I can also agree they need to have a battery status added asap. A lot of the OS seams like a step backwards like I miss just hitting the guide button to check messages or see what friends are online to invite and etc. I think they will fix it at some point though and overall I am happy with it.

#9 Posted by sailor232 (6410 posts) -

Plug and play kit is awesome, if the controller goes flat, just plug it in and continue gaming. Even with it unplugged I get really really good time on the thing, so much that I controller battery life never bothers me.

#10 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

I would say if your too far from the Xbone console than purchase the adapter that would allow you to plug the controller into the wall outlet closest to you. Other than that I don't know what to do. It's possible you could find an additional battery pack that would allow you to plug the controller in and just keep the battery pack next to you.

#11 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

I had amazing battery life using AA Batteries before I got my play and charge kit. I would play at least 2-3 hours a day and it lasted over a week.

#12 Posted by doubalfa (7106 posts) -

by my calculations, I think they last around 20 hours

#13 Posted by urbansys (234 posts) -

My AA batteries have lasted longer on the One controller then they ever did with the 360. Not sure what you may be using.

#14 Posted by jekyll (9140 posts) -

@RimacBugatti said:

I would say if your too far from the Xbone console than purchase the adapter that would allow you to plug the controller into the wall outlet closest to you. Other than that I don't know what to do. It's possible you could find an additional battery pack that would allow you to plug the controller in and just keep the battery pack next to you.

Crap, I never thought about that. My iPhone charger is right next to me. I can plug right into that instead of using an extension to reach the One from my sofa. Thanks!

#15 Posted by regnaston (349 posts) -

I use rechargeable AA batteries for my Xbox One (and 360). I find that the rechargeable last way longer than normal batteries and longer than the play and charge kit (based on 360 experience with the play and charge).

I have 3 sets of batteries, so one set in each controller and one charging or already charged.

#16 Posted by RimacBugatti (1632 posts) -

@jekyll: No problem!

#17 Posted by Bishop1310 (1274 posts) -

My AA's would last me about 2 weeks maybe 3 depending on use. Bought the recharge kits and its been so worth it.

Used to be able to get 2 months out of AA's with the 360 controllers. It's the extra trigger motors.

#18 Posted by pavoid (25 posts) -

@ahmedmandy said:

From me, it lasts pretty much the same as my 360's, more or less.

By the way, if this bothers you that much - don't even think about buying a PS4. Its controller barely lasts 5 hours.

^^^this

#19 Posted by sukraj (26514 posts) -

batteries last a long time for me

Avatar image for wg_mcfartypants
#20 Posted by WG_McFartypants (233 posts) -

I use recharge kits, so it's not really an issue, but I don't understand the folks who complain about Xbox controllers using batteries. Everyone's controller uses batteries. The Xbox One's come out OR can be rechargeable. That means if my controller runs out of juice during a game I have the option of either plugging it in (or in my case setting it back on the charger) OR taking 5 seconds to swap out the batteries and keep going. On my PS4, it's recharge or sit on the floor in front of my console like a kid (and I'm old, my back's not down with that)...

How is the extra option a bad thing?

#21 Posted by Draign (1708 posts) -

AA battery life is not so bad as long as you turn OFF vibration! NBA2K14 will murder your batteries in this area. I cant imagine playing Forza without vibration though.

#22 Edited by angryguy77 (30 posts) -

Lasts longer for me and I'm playing it a lot. While an indicator would be nice, I often found it not to be so reliable on the 360. Just keep a spare set and you'll be fine.

#23 Posted by Shantmaster_K (800 posts) -

For me they have lasted a decent length. I hate that there is no indicator that it is running low.

#24 Posted by GuitarSmash (274 posts) -

I wish i could at least check how much charge i have left in the batteries though!!!

#25 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

rechargeable AA is your friend.

They last quite a while for me

#26 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

Plug and play kit is awesome, if the controller goes flat, just plug it in and continue gaming. Even with it unplugged I get really really good time on the thing, so much that I controller battery life never bothers me.

pack of 4 rechargeable AA and charge is cheaper and far better...

right there you got 2 pairs and if you really need to charge one pair while your using the other.

if all fails just rip your phone charge out of the wall and BAM! you sir just went WIRED

#27 Posted by sailor232 (6410 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

@sailor232 said:

right there you got 2 pairs and if you really need to charge one pair while your using the other.

if all fails just rip your phone charge out of the wall and BAM! you sir just went WIRED

Not in New Zealand, http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/mobile-phone-accessories/energizer-extreme-lsd-rechargeable-800mah-nimh-battery-aaa-4-pack-dsnz-s3706

that cost the same as the official Plug and charge kit and doesn't even come with the rechargher. Plus I hardly have to keep the wire in my plug and charge kit, my battery lasts a long time.

#28 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

@k2theswiss said:

@sailor232 said:

Not in New Zealand, http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/mobile-phone-accessories/energizer-extreme-lsd-rechargeable-800mah-nimh-battery-aaa-4-pack-dsnz-s3706

that cost the same as the official Plug and charge kit and doesn't even come with the rechargher. Plus I hardly have to keep the wire in my plug and charge kit, my battery lasts a long time.

x1 dont take AAA

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/mobile-phone-accessories/energizer-universal-lsd-rechargeable-1400mah-nimh-battery-aa-4-pack-dsnz-s3700 ~ $27

http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/mobile-phone-accessories/energizer-universal-lsd-rechargeable-1400mah-nimh-battery-aa-4-pack-dsnz-s3700 -$39

that website don't sell a AA/AAA charger online by it self or in a combo pack with energizer So that leaves $13 left for a recharger.

in u.s you can buy 4 pack plus the charger for $20

#29 Posted by sailor232 (6410 posts) -

I wish I lived in the US, everything here is expensive, the reason why it is easier and cheaper for me and everyone living in bottom of the world New Zealand to just buy the official plug and charge. Either way, they both get the job done.

#30 Posted by donalbane (16383 posts) -

It lasts longer than the PS4 controller, though that isn't saying much. Also, the play and charge kit is damn near mandatory.

#31 Posted by a55a55inx (4188 posts) -

@donalbane said:

It lasts longer than the PS4 controller, though that isn't saying much. Also, the play and charge kit is damn near mandatory.

I would say that AA batteries last more than 4x as long as the Dual Shock 4's battery. I wouldn't say that the play and charge kit is mandatory, as you have the option of buying a large pack of batteries or even just pick up rechargeable AA batteries. A 4 pack of rechargeable AA batteries with the recharging dock costs around $15. (cheaper than the play and charge kit)