REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

just got my xbox one, took me nearly an hour to download that first update. i can't even get the store to load it takes that long. usually my wifi speeds are like 10mb/s down. what gives?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Run a wired connection instead; FACE!!

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Wired will always be better so try that.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 REforever101

no **** you geniuses, wired isn't an option right now. the tv is too immensely far from my router to leave a wire running throughout the whole house. but it can't possibly be this bad normally, something has to be going wrong

huerito323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5 huerito323
Member since 2009 • 1432 Posts

@REforever101 said:

no **** you geniuses, wired isn't an option right now. the tv is too immensely far from my router to leave a wire running throughout the whole house. but it can't possibly be this bad normally, something has to be going wrong

Call your ISP. Why are you wasting time complaining about it on the forums? People tried helping you and you decided to be rude about it.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Try unplugging and plugging your router and see how it goes. Sometimes a power restart helps.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 REforever101

@huerito323: saying "go wired" when i'm talking about the wireless is by no means helping.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@REforever101 said:

the tv is too immensely far from my router to leave a wire running throughout the whole house

How for are we talking about? You can get cables maybe 100, 200, 300 feet on Amazon dirt cheap, I've done it myself. It's an economic solution, and depending on circumstances you may be able to hide the cables discretely, maybe buy white cables to match the wall, whatever helps not making them an eyesore, if you were so inclined to do so. Sounds like you don't like that option though.

Also, have you thought of maybe moving the wireless router/modem, or is that not possible? If you're in a large home fit for cable TV I'd imagine there's multiple cable connectors for TVs around the house. Is where the modem is now currently splitting a signal between a TV and the modem? If so, just reconfigure the same setup in another location if it's not going to be an issue.

Also, how old is the modem/router? What kind of make and model is it? What kind of signal model are you using? An 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac? There might potentially be a bottleneck what kind of internet service you're paying for. But I'm guessing you're mostly being limited by the range between your modem/router and the Xbox One.

You might also want to look into utilizing wireless range extenders that help boost the signals in between. Also, depending on whether you're using a 802.11g modem/router versus an 802.11n modem/router will make a difference in both your range and speed. If you want the best range, aim for a 802.11ac modem/router, but it'll cost you a pretty penny.

Anyhow, I've been using a wireless g router for like 10 years, it's been okay in my current apartment since we were getting 25megabits/sec speeds, the router bottlenecks it at 22megabits/sec. But recently the cable company doubled our speeds in the area for free, and my router is still only able to give me 22megabits/sec downloads. So now I'm looking for a new modem myself. A wireless 802.11n-router will do the trick, even if I switch cable internet providers for the 300megabits/sec the competition is offering. I'll only really need to upgrade to a 802.11ac when like Google Fiber speeds are available.

Anyhow, lastly, what is your internet bandwidth that you're paying for?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The Xbone is well known and notorious for slow updates and installs.

I have top of the line ASUS RT-AC68U and incredibly fast internet (various laptops, Tablets, PCs, Smart Phones, every handheld, PS4, Wii U, 360, PS3, Wii, etc) and I was floored by how slow the Xbone is, especially by comparison. It is what it is, I've grown used to just starting the process and going shopping or something.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 REforever101

eh, I guess I can plug it into my modem for downloads and bring it back where it was when I'm done. I just can't leave it here because my monitor takes hdmi, but doesn't have speakers....unless you can plug in headphones to the xbone. that a thing? it is with the ps4

PowerstrokeGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11  Edited By PowerstrokeGT
Member since 2004 • 907 Posts

Can't beat wired. I ran cable for a good 30 feet from my TP-link to the xbone and ps4 and the speeds usually are much more stable and faster to the consoles. The cat 6 cable cost me maybe 10$ for a 50 foot role off ebay. Had it tested and its hitting cat 6 speeds, and its cheap cable! Other than that, Lamprey's post covers most wireless issues.