Xbox LIVE, what are we actually getting for 60 dollars?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Squirrel-Master
Squirrel-Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Squirrel-Master
Member since 2005 • 115 Posts

I've been an Xbox360 owner sense the console was released and I've always had Xbox LIVE to play with friends but I just started thinking today.. what are we actually getting for our 60 dollars a year?

Is it just to play online? Xbox live has Hulu. Net Flix and DLC for games but it's all stuff we have to pay extra for.. I tried to google the answer but after about 5 pages I didn't see any dolid answer other then "you get to play online with friends"

btw this isn't a rant I'm honestly just curious.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
There's isn't really an answer. So far I haven't seen any other answers either. XBL has more to offer than others in terms of Indie games and community gaming. I think it just costs them more to maintain XBL so we pay the price. Not sure though.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Why are you paying $60 for it? You can get legitimate renewal codes for half the price on ebay
domxnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 domxnik
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
Honestly I really can't think of an answer either. Xbox does have a lot of arcade games along with Netflix, Hulu, and Zune. Also we have exclusive stuff too like games and some DLC others don't get until later, like most the Call of Duty DLC. Another thing is I don't think Xbox Live has ever been hacked so the security is pretty nice, we all remember what happened to Ps3. All platforms have their pros and cons though, but I'm sticking with Xbox Live for as long as it's around...and hopefully that will be for a long time.
bewarethehorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 bewarethehorns
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

Plain and simple, it was a business decision. Microsoft felt people would pay to play and they were right. About a year ago I saw a TechCruch article that said 12.5M people are gold members: that's an extra $750,000,000 annually in revenue. And I'm sure some of that money goes towards getting DLC before the other platforms and into development for new features, etc, but really it's just good business to do what you can to do to turn a profit.

That and cross game chat is pretty nice.

kyletoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kyletoker
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

i know one thing for sure, i dont pay 60 bucks a year to cry about it on the internets

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#7 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
to be with your friends. Also don't pay no $60, You can easy get cards off amazon for 40ish bucks.
RiKanKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 RiKanKiDD
Member since 2007 • 1059 Posts

i dont pay for my xbox live usualy my friend gets me them for free cuz his brother or i usualy just do the half price deal :) when you call them by phone

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

i know one thing for sure, i dont pay 60 bucks a year to cry about it on the internets

kyletoker

Um, I'm pretty sure there's only one internet. Back on topic. There's a reason I buy my SP games on PS3, and MP games on 360. The reason is quality and user-friendliness. It's not something you get with PSN, no offence to any fans of that service. You get what you pay for.

VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

Everyone's answer is going to be different, and I can only speak for myself.

I don't mind the fee because I use the party system all the time. That includes party chat as well as cross game invites. All of this available at the OS level, which speaks to how well integrate Live features are into the console itself. No need to fire up a separate appt party up. Any time, no matter what you're doing on the console.

I also like how accessible and responsive the policy enforcement team is. They're on twitter and make regular appearances at trade events, not to mention their online presence when something goes wrong... like the MW2 javelin glitch. Of course, it was IW's responsibility but MS took the extra step and suspended people that abused it.... this came straight from their director. Response from the competition was... nada.

It's just little things like that, that make the service worthwhile in my household.

Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

[QUOTE="kyletoker"]

HilbillyRokstar

Um, I'm pretty sure there's only one internet. Also "tokadope" is not a valid GT on XBL. Back on topic. There's a reason I buy my SP games on PS3, and MP games on 360. The reason is quality and user-friendliness. It's not something you get with PSN, no offence to any fans of that service. You get what you pay for.

It is a gamertag you just forgot an e.

The only feature you really pay for is the party / private chat. I have no idea why they require gold for things like Netflix. XBL should be free but it never will be because people pay it.

Ashatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ashatar
Member since 2011 • 259 Posts

i'm 1 month withgout xbox live gold i only had gold i mean the trial one when i maede my account i don't pay for that **** 60 bucks thats totaly insane and too expencive btw xbox live gold 12 months costs 40 euros here its a code so...

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
It's a good service that never really fails. Also: cross-game chat.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
For everything. It's that simple. You shouldn't compare it to free services because you simply can't compare them. You are paying for xbox live.
ch2423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ch2423
Member since 2004 • 1978 Posts
[QUOTE="Overlord93"]For everything. It's that simple. You shouldn't compare it to free services because you simply can't compare them. You are paying for xbox live.

You have a bright future as a politician.
NirdBerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NirdBerd
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Cross game chat, online play, some apps like last.fm, twitter, facebook, and early access to some demos I believe (like gold users can play it 1 week before silver or something)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

You can still 'cross' private chat via silver and buy stuff from the marketplace. It's a great service but I don't renew it that much because I don't play online much. and that's all I feel I'm getting from it

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

iam gonna say online play.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

why not just read one of the other hundred threads with similar titles about the same thing for your answer?

jrorl63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jrorl63
Member since 2003 • 723 Posts
IMO xbox live has a lot better support for playing with friends and is a lot more accessible than psn. BTW im not a fanboy either, ive had a ps3 since launch and just decided to get an xbox this year
ramulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ramulux
Member since 2004 • 2253 Posts
i got in the deal and paid 80 for 2 years :)
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
It costs money because its MS. At least paying for it means that MS has a contract with us to provide the service and make sure all is well unlike the PSN or the nintendo wi-fi which are effectively not covered by that sort of thing
BimboShaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BimboShaggins
Member since 2010 • 230 Posts

60$???

thats weird. i pay a lot less then that being a beta tester and 9 year member ;) ;) ;)

and if its a paid service, that usually means it will function more smoothly and be maintained well (cough not psn cough)

Superkhanz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Superkhanz
Member since 2010 • 143 Posts

Online play, party chats, some exclusive demos, excluvisve features on some stuff (Halo Waypoint for example) and so on.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts
I used to be heavily supportive of xbox live when it was $50. It was clearly the best way to experience online gaming at the time. You could play Halo online, Gears of War online, a wealth of media content from demos to videos, and exclusive content (i.e. Fallout 3 content early, GTA 4 content early, COD maps early). Remember back then, Playstation Network couldn't compete with xbox live. Whether it was lack of playstation 3 sales or lack of content or whatever, Xbox Live USED to be the clear cut front runner for online gaming on consoles. Now, I think that some people are wondering if paying $60 is worth a year access. Assuming you had both a ps3 and xbox 360, Why buy COD on xbox 360 knowing you need to pay to play online when you can buy it on ps3 and play for free there? Also, PSN made some significant leaps forward to catching up to xbox live. PSN plus was a great move, it's a way to rival xbox live. You can get free games, some exclusive content (Assassin's Creed Revelations Multiplayer beta for example), and so forth. Take Mortal Kombat for example. If you got it on ps3, you got Kratos. You don't get an exclusive for xbox. Not that it is a HUGE deal, but it makes the playstation version slightly more interesting to get. Now with the playstation 3 cutting the price, it is making key moves to catch up to microsoft's xbox. Also, you don't need a psn plus membership to have access to netflix but you need a gold account for xbox to access netflix. XBox Live is still really great, but if they are going to charge $60 for a year, you have to offer the gamers something to really good. I'm not knocking xbox live, but I feel PSN is now giving xbox live a running. In order for microsoft to show that xbox live is the best online experience, it needs to step up a little bit more. All I can tell is that you can play online and get early access to demos with a gold account. I can still talk to friends online with silver accounts and download content and videos. I'm still an xbox live supporter, but xbl needs to step up its game a bit more. I don't think its' as big of a favorite as it once was years ago.
jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts
Ya' got me thinking.... yes, I like to use it for ESPN3 but I can get that for free if I wanted to hookup a computer, Netflix is nice but it's free from a computer or BD player. So the ONLY thing XBL gets me is multiplayer gaming ... hummm.... $4-5 dollars a month is starting to sound pricy!
Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

M$ offered me a renewal at $39/yr , but i bought a prepaid card for $35. I might not renew this spring if they try to make me pay $60. XBL is def not worth $60/yr.

but other than the exact $, the $$ you spend on Xboxlive is for online multiplayer, early access to demos, access to netflix and espn3.com (both which you can access using your computer, but its more convenient to just use the xbox if u ask me). hopefully in the future they bring back games like 1 vs 100 again.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
It's available right now for $39.99.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

You're paying for online multiplayer. Be honest, practically no one would pay for Live if online multiplayer was free.

Tyson8earzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tyson8earzz
Member since 2004 • 885 Posts

Funny how some on here complain about paying $60 a year, but then rationalize paying a monthly sub for an MMO game like World of warcraft and similar MMO's that cost $15 or so a month. $60 a yr, thats only $5 a month. You cant even buy a large starbucks frappuchino for less then $5.35 and that's only ONE drink! sheesh

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I don't have too much of a problem with paying for XBL. We should just be grateful it's 60 bucks a year and not 60 bucks a month.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I don't have too much of a problem with paying for XBL. We should just be grateful it's 60 bucks a year and not 60 bucks a month.

MathMattS

Be grateful? Ha. I'm not grateful of Microsoft for anything.

jetjetjaguar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jetjetjaguar
Member since 2011 • 192 Posts
I hear ya', but no sub's to MMO's here..... make my own coffee as well..... oh and YES to bringing back 1 vs. 100. I was hoping that MS would do more in that area. When I had parties the console was cold until 1 vs. 100. Turns out that was something that gamers and non-gamers could enjoy in groups. You would think MS would be "all over that".
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

[QUOTE="MathMattS"]

Vari3ty

Be grateful? Ha. I'm not grateful of Microsoft for anything.

For real. Why should I be grateful.? They're are the ones that need to be grateful to it's customers if they want them around.

But I personally just like XBL. PSN isn't at all bad. It just doesn't have a few key features that I couldn't go without for online gaming. Not to mention that most people I know own an xbox.

Deanv17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Deanv17
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
That's Exacly what I was thinking . I wouldnt be paying 60 bucks if none of my friends were on xbox. Microsoft has moderated severs unlike psn. The xbox live interface looks much better then the psn interface.