Xbox Live keeps disconnecting - help needed!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-60a353d568bd7
deactivated-60a353d568bd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-60a353d568bd7
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts
I've just come back to CoD after finishing out the achievements for Mass Effect (well almost, 2 left, but it got really boring, really fast after my fifth playthrough or so!) and I plugged in my LAN cable and now every 10-15 minutes (sometimes less) my Live just disconnects. I get the "You were disconnected from Xbox Live" message but my net hasn't dropped out - just Live. Then I'm able to bring up the console menu with the middle button and reconnect straight away, no worries. 10, 15 minutes later, disconnected again. I'm wondering what on earth could have changed to cause this?

I'm using a 4-port wireless router/modem with VoIP (****** F1PI241EGau) 24000k/1000k (in theory)

I'm running a cable directly from the router/modem to the Xbox and it's not the cable, cos I switched it out yesterday and the same thing kept happening. So it's obviously also not a wireless issue.

It never used to drop out like this but it's getting really frustrating - you just get going - or in most cases, you just get your heli and bam, disconnected.

Any thoughts, ideas, anything at all would be really helpful! Let me know if you need more information. Thanks in advance.

sr_darkzodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sr_darkzodiac
Member since 2005 • 103 Posts
happening to me aswell, aslo with cod 4 very stragne. Its even goin so far as to block me from even connecting on my dashboard
zoe256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 zoe256
Member since 2007 • 2821 Posts
This sounds similar to the XBL problems experienced Dec/Jan time, it's probably a problem on their end you'll just have to wait it out :)
90caliber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 90caliber
Member since 2004 • 596 Posts
Try resetting your router. Some have a physical reset button located somewhere (usually on the back) of the unit while others simply have to be unplugged for a few seconds. I was having the exact same problem with COD as well until I stumbled across this solution after having VOIP installed in my home.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-60a353d568bd7

Ah k well that's odd and annoying! Strange though - I was playing during December/January and I never had this problem then! Hope they work it out asap if it is an issue on their end. Did most people find that it fixed by itself back then?

I'll try resetting the router and I'll try upgrading the firmware on it too (firmware first, then reset according to the router website). Does that mean I'll have to reprogram it with my ADSL settings and stuff? Like, what will I lose when I reset it?

Thanks for the help thus far!

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
For the first week of April, around midnight-2am (GMT) xbox live has been really unstable, disconnecting lots of people. If you look back through the forum here you will probably find one or more threads for each night
90caliber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 90caliber
Actually resetting it shouldnt be that big of a deal. Just try unplugging it first and see if anything changes.
90caliber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 90caliber
And also, keep in mind that a lot of Xbox live issues, are exactly that, XBOX LIVE ISSUES!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-60a353d568bd7

Ah k, well that's good at least (I think) - that lots of other people are having the same issues all of a sudden. Well not really good, but if it's a big problem, then surely they'll fix it post haste. I'll try mucking around with the modem tomorrow night. Got a bunch of stuff due in that I have to submit electronically all tomorrow and I always manage to do stuff like muck up the internet/computer in pursuit of gaming goodness instead of doing the work I should be.

By the way, can I just say a big thanks to everyone who has helped so far - I don't have the greatest faith in these forums - so many trolls and otherwise unhelpful people but I guess that's mostly on individual game boards. I know I'll be coming to the general 360 board for advice in the future!

oscarjade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oscarjade
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
avengeri think i know another reason right sony is a big company right? but they are being a bit selfish...they are trying to take over microsoft so xbox live is getting unstable every month becuase of it Eek!
cod5god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cod5god
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
my xbox keeps having those problems all of the time to i might finish a game then boom it dissconets but my laptop will be perfectly fine i dont get it this is really getting on my nerves but this may or may not help but try to unplug everything including harddrive from your xbox look for any damage and try to clean out all the dust by like blowing into the plug for a wirless thingmabob (srry tired) and do the same with everything for some it may help some not but i need an answer to this problem to because im now starting to play a lot of my computer cus i keep getting dissconnected form xbox live!!!!
Avatar image for quinn666reeper1
quinn666reeper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 quinn666reeper1
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
well was having this problem for about a month now i tryed every thing didn,t work so i rang my broadband company[ eircom] first they updated the modem and did changed settings on it all form there side and now its working better then ever
Avatar image for quinn666reeper1
quinn666reeper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 quinn666reeper1
well was having this problem for about a month now i tryed every thing didn,t work so i rang my broadband company[ eircom] first they updated the modem and did changed settings on it all form there side and now its working better then ever
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

well was having this problem for about a month now i tryed every thing didn,t work so i rang my broadband company[ eircom] first they updated the modem and did changed settings on it all form there side and now its working better then everquinn666reeper1

What do you mean they updated the modem?They physically updated it or they just tweaked the settings or something? Cos I've been havin the same damn problem w/ Live since I go it...Works for on average an hour, then a light goes on the modem and I get disconnected, even though the laptop and the desktop still have access to the net.I'm with Vodafone Ireland and they're generally s***e.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

This happened to me last week. I just unplugged everything from my Xbox and restarted my router and modem.

Cthulad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Cthulad
Member since 2006 • 197 Posts

The one thing you can try, is looking up the open ports specific to the Modern Warfare game. I set that while being disco'd back inJan/Feb, and it helped. Most likely though it's also xbox causing issues. It happens, especially around time off, July 4th, Summer, Christmas. Just so many more people online at the time.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

I'm having this problem too right now. And when I test my XBL connection, it usually says that network and internet connections are ok, but connection to XBL fails. So it's probably an XBL issue.

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I have the same problems, only every several hours.

morbios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 morbios
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I've done the whole reset the modem via unplugs, changing settings and hitting the reset button, and I still have issues with disconnects. It has to be a brain fart on XBL's end. I went so far as to call them after going through this for over a week and without actually saying the words, they basically told me, it's not them, and I'm just SOL. Typical corporation....hype it up, get the consumer to pay, and then leave em hangin' out to dry. Anyone else having back-in-the-day AOL flashbacks?
lenny94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lenny94
I just bought a new xbox 360 adapter and every 20 mins when im playing call of duty online a box comes up saying you have been disconnected from xbox live and you have been disconnected from the messenger. does anybody have any solutions for this problom
codking58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 codking58
yea mine does the same except mine hapenes between matches lol then it just falls out
wackybusdriver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wackybusdriver
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
My son has had his xbox 360 about a year, and starting using xbox live after receiving it for Christmas. All of a sudden, it has stopped connecting to xbox live when he turns it on. When you test connection, it doesn't recognize that the wireless adapter is hooked up. The green light on the wireless adapter is on. Anyway, he has to unplug the xbox for a few minutes, and then turn it on. After that it connects, but then the next time he has the same problem. He has started unplugging the xbox when he is done playing, so that it will work the next time. Any idea what is causing this? Thanks.
xmimixxhottiex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xmimixxhottiex
i was playing l4d2 last week and in the middle of the game im disconnected. it kept happening every 10-30 minutes. i checked my wireless network adapter the router and modem but everything was fine. I now decided to play rockband and it happend when my song was over. im starting to get really mad and annoied. its sad that i cant play xbox :(
Omas84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Omas84
i have the same problem i think, it's happening to last fm and all games on mine is this the case with you or just cod? been looking about and have found out ****** are rubbish with xbox live, maybe this is the problem
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

What is with this thread and all the level 1 posters bumping it every few weeks?

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

What is with this thread and all the level 1 posters bumping it every few weeks?

balfe1990

hmmm...:question:

Mickey3Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mickey3Fingers
I'm having similar issues. I've even had it checked out and its not my connections or my internet so I think it must have something to do with the last update. Is yours a 360S ???
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

might be the host kicking you... try a different lobby or game.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

I'm having similar issues. I've even had it checked out and its not my connections or my internet so I think it must have something to do with the last update. Is yours a 360S ???Mickey3Fingers

Why are we bumping an old thread?

XBL isn't down as far as I know.

BigRigs93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BigRigs93
Member since 2010 • 71 Posts
Maybe it's Lulzsec again
speak4505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 speak4505
i'm getting the same thing. xbl keeps dropping and forget about using netflix. could this have anything to do with the ipv6 change and incompatible routers? i saw somewhere that the official start date was june 8th. just asking because i just read the specs on my router and it's not compatible.
Laurraaaaaaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Laurraaaaaaaa
..Yeah, whenever I sign into my xbox live account- it works OK. but when I get on the game and play online, after about 5 minutes the whole xbox freezes for about a minute and disconnects me. It's SO annoying, and yes, we have 3 xboxes all online at the same time but it hasnt been a problem for months. It's so weird because it's only effecting me. I tried on my brothers xbox because he has wired (ethernet if that's how you spell it) xbox live, and it works perfectly, i'm not sure if it's my wireless adapter because it might be worn out --it's a couple of years old. I think I need a wired connection to fix it, but the game I want to play (Modern warefare 3) gives my xbox a red light when I put it in my xbox, so I don't know how to fix that, either. I'm going to try installing in on the xbox but i'm not sure. aaaaaanyway, I really want to know how to fix it so If you know PLEASE help. :)
Truthi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Truthi
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I hate when people post saying "I reset my router or I am still online (meaning laptop or whatever) but my XBOX live keeps disconnecting" and the 1st response is "Try resetting router, check firmware for your modem etc" when all that crap has to do with being online. If the "only thing disconnecting is XBOX live" try to point the finger in the right direction. Same crap happened a while back, XBOX had a patch that messed up like this. And go figure for me that ever since the last April patch update I now have the same issue. Don't worry , your not crazy, and don't bother paying for a different internet service like upgrading since more than likely we have to wait for XBOX to acknowledge this issue, for all they know it might be hacking crap like playstation so they need to check this crap out.