Xbox 360....Is it worth it even with the Red Light Issue?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gaming_WIz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gaming_WIz
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts

I might get one for Christmas...but how does the Red Light happen? Does the Red Light apear when it's overheated or just randomly? I learned from EP Daily that Microsoft fixed the problem sort of and that Xbox 360's have a less chance of getting the Red Light. Is it worth the risk? And if i do get the Red Light and i send it to get fixed, will the Red Light on the Xbox be fixed permanently? I'd really like to know.

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts

I might get one for Christmas...but how does the Red Light happen? Does the Red Light apear when it's overheated or just randomly? I learned from EP Daily that Microsoft fixed the problem sort of and that Xbox 360's have a less chance of getting the Red Light. Is it worth the risk? And if i do get the Red Light and i send it to get fixed, will the Red Light on the Xbox be fixed permanently? I'd really like to know.

Gaming_WIz
The chances of getting the 3 red lights with a new console right now are significantly reduced compared to before and it's definitely worth it. I have a lot of games to play and see no shortage anytime soon. If you do get the lights, it's covered under a 3 year warranty.
Bulova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bulova
Member since 2003 • 1237 Posts

If you get the RROD (red ring of death) it is a hardware failure. If you send it away, there is no guarantee it's fixed for good. Most of the time, they don't even send your same xbox back. They send a different one that they already fixed. Then they fix up the system you sent, and will ship it to somebody else who sends in a broken one. I've had 3 different xbox's (different serial numbers on the back).

In the newer xbox's, RROD is not as common as far as I know...that being said, you still get a 3 year warranty on RROD from the date of purchase, so you should be set.

Even with the RROD problem, the xbox 360 is by far this generations far superior console. I love mine, despite getting RROD multiple times. Having to wait a couple weeks to get it back sucks if you have to send it in, but the console is just a ton of fun.

I got mine on launch day in 2005, and it took 1 year before I got RROD, and those were the worst ones.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
yes, buy it
Lynx777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lynx777
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts

I, too, am getting a 360 this Christmas. But don't go by what the fanboys say. Every system has its flaws...(this part belongs on system wars so I'll stop this sentence)...

Its true that its not as bad as before. Just keep the Xbox in a well-ventilated place and don't play for 10 hours straight. Somebody told me that playing a couple of hours and giving it a break helps prevent the rrod.

So basically, its a great system with great games. Just don't overdo it and you'll be fine...and that 3 year warranty is sufficient. If its gonna get the rrod it'll be during that time span...maybe...

poonhound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 poonhound
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I got the original $399 xbox 2 years ago and I got the red-ring-of-death, but I had also got a BestBuy store warranty, which gave me the whole $399 back which I used to buy another xbox for 200 bucks off. It was worth it for me, but I think the warranty was 50 dollars extra.
poonhound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 poonhound
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
I got the original $399 xbox 2 years ago and I got the red-ring-of-death, but I had also got a BestBuy store warranty, which gave me the whole $399 back which I used to buy another xbox for 200 bucks off. It was worth it for me, but I think the warranty was 50 dollars extra.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

You tell us Gaming Wiz...

No but seriously if it worries you just get a 2 year Best Buy Warranty for 35$ and if it breaks you just bring your Xbox back to Best Buy, you keep your hard drive. They will open up a new box right in front of you, take the Hard Drive out of it, since you keep yours. And hand the brand new Xbox over to you.

That way you don't have to wait on MS or worry about just getting a refurbished Xbox back. Problem solved.

kris120890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kris120890
Member since 2007 • 145 Posts
It's worth it. Thats coming from someone whos xbox 360 is being sent to be fixed on monday.
tomizzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 tomizzo
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
They're putting new Jasper chips in them which is suppose to help the problem quite a bit. The Falcon didn't work for me sadly. :( I still have to wait to get my xbox back
ndvtmakulit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ndvtmakulit
Member since 2007 • 103 Posts

Yup. Enjoy Gears 2, Left 4 dead and other games like Mass Effect that are exclusive to Xbox. Xbox live is fantastic too. Regarding the red light issues, I've had mine since Nov 2007 and I haven't had any issues with it. If you get the Arcade bundle, I think it has the jasper chips which is their latest iteration/solution for the red lights.

jackelzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 jackelzx
Member since 2008 • 820 Posts

yeh its worth most of the time when you get rrod its because your motherboard is broke from the heat

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
I have had eight different Xbox consoles since launch in 2005, but I think I just had bad luck. Plus I keep getting new ones so obviously it is worth it to me to put up with it. To be honest, the 360s now are much, much better than they were during the first year of the system's life and your chances of getting the RROD are substantially reduced. If you install games to your hard drive instead of playing them off your DVD drive, that should also hold off the wear and tear that usually causes the RROD because the disc drive doesn't have to do anything and there isn't nearly as much heat being produced in the system. Anyway, even if it does break you will just have to send it in (or sell the broken one to Gamestop or EB for 50 bucks and buy an arcade for 150 if you don't want to wait). It won't be the end of the world. So yes, it is worth it to get a 360 because there are some truly phenomenal games out there for it and you are missing out without it.
thecreechxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thecreechxxx
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
Definately worth it! I have a launch 360 and have never had a problem. Ventilation and placing it horizontially are a key. I think that is why my has never had the rrod.
Gaming_WIz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gaming_WIz
when you say Ventillation is key, you mean to place it in a nice cool room? My basement is cool all year round but i have a small TV and it is where i keep my PS2. How else would you recommend i keep an Xbox 360 cool? Should i like keep it near a fan or something?
CieranB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CieranB
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts
They are great. I have had my 360 for 2 years now. one thing thta make them great is xbox live, the good times i have had with Xbl will be memorble and im sure there is much more to come for me. With the Mic system, i think it makes xbox live atleast 2x better, its just great fun! also the chance of your xbox breaking and getting 3 red lights are slim, it is so worth that risk.
Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts
Ohhhh myyyyy gawwwwwwwwd are these forums really still around?!?!?!?????????? Basically don't keep your xbox in a 13x3 box, or a sweater and you'll be fine, xbox takes care of it for free if it red rings, and usually gives you a free month or 2 of live. I'm on my 4th and they really have their act together now, my current console runs like Usain Bolt, and with the ability to download games onto your HDD things are just going to keep getting better.
Avatar image for KevComesRipping
KevComesRipping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 KevComesRipping
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

I, too, am getting a 360 this Christmas. But don't go by what the fanboys say. Every system has its flaws...(this part belongs on system wars so I'll stop this sentence)...

Its true that its not as bad as before. Just keep the Xbox in a well-ventilated place and don't play for 10 hours straight. Somebody told me that playing a couple of hours and giving it a break helps prevent the rrod.

So basically, its a great system with great games. Just don't overdo it and you'll be fine...and that 3 year warranty is sufficient. If its gonna get the rrod it'll be during that time span...maybe...

Lynx777

Tell that to my xbox, I got Gears of War 2 on Nov. 7th, got home from work at 4:15Pm and played until 6:35Am Nov. 8th, now I know that is pathetic of me to admit, but I played with friends so I have no regrets. I'm telling you this of course not to spite Lynx777, but just to instill some confidence that the newer models are much more rugged than previous releases.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Apparently now you have a lower chance of getting RROD but other errors seem to be springing up in its place (ex. I got the uncovered E74 error).

However, I'm getting an Arcade for xmas because I already have money invested in games and such.

I thought about going PS3 but in reality, it doesn't have as many games that I want - and I'd be paying double (even though it's more stable).

It's going to have to be a judgement call really.

Avatar image for jensen_slipknot
jensen_slipknot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 jensen_slipknot
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
I just got RROD a few days ago. But I didnt have falcon chip/new one. Yes, buy one!
Gaming_WIz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gaming_WIz
when you say Ventillation is key, you mean to place it in a nice cool room? My basement is cool all year round but i have a small TV and it is where i keep my PS2. How else would you recommend i keep an Xbox 360 cool? Should i like keep it near a fan or something?
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Definately worth it, the new 360's are more reliable.
Lynx777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lynx777
Member since 2008 • 631 Posts
[QUOTE="Lynx777"]

KevComesRipping

Tell that to my xbox, I got Gears of War 2 on Nov. 7th, got home from work at 4:15Pm and played until 6:35Am Nov. 8th, now I know that is pathetic of me to admit, but I played with friends so I have no regrets. I'm telling you this of course not to spite Lynx777, but just to instill some confidence that the newer models are much more rugged than previous releases.

1) Let me write you a prescription for sleep.

2) They are more rugged. Its just that its not recommended to play for a long period of time.

Deccamann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Deccamann
Member since 2004 • 53 Posts
Ever since they fixed my 360 RROD, I haven't had any problems at all. The guy on the phone with Microsoft support said something about Heat sink issues and overheating and soldering problems. According to what he told me , It's a new and improved system or heat sink to keep it from overheating. We live on the 360 sometimes with no break at all and so far so great!
KA12NAG3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 KA12NAG3
Member since 2008 • 662 Posts
Its definitely worth it. I have never gotten the Red Ring of Death and am very satisfied with my Xbox.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#27 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

yup with falcon there like 5% chance of rrod last time i heard back in feb there are many differncet reasons for rrod but the comon one was over heating but not big deal now with the new chip sets and if it does break hey warrenty cal up send u box with pre paid lables and everything and u drop it off at ups done and u wait 2 weeks thats if it happens and that 5% maby 3% is stupid people who goes sticks it in closed areas and and stacking stuff on it and blocking vents and fix peranenty sorry i need tell you nothing is permanently like 4real get one make sure get a hardrive pick up halo 3

and if it does break i ratherplay 11 months and enjoy and be happy then a 2-3 week break vs not having one or having other system i dont want