xbox 360 wireless help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

traysmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 traysmith
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Is there any way that i can get wireless Internet on my 360 from my laptop that is hooked up wirelessly to the Internet without running an ethernet cable way from my room to the other room. i just dont want to pay 100 dollars for that thing but i will if i have to.

Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts

Is there any way that i can get wireless Internet on my 360 from my laptop that is hooked up wirelessly to the Internet without running an ethernet cable way from my room to the other room. i just dont want to pay 100 dollars for that thing but i will if i have to.

traysmith

u have to buy th ethernet cable for like 20 bucks or the wireless adapter for $100. if u have wireless internet on ur laptop then y dont u just move the laptop closer to the 360?

bigred92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigred92
Member since 2006 • 196 Posts
bump i have been wondering this myself for a while
Sk8teOrDi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sk8teOrDi3
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
[QUOTE="traysmith"]

patsfan4liferjn

u have to buy th ethernet cable for like 20 bucks or the wireless adapter for $100. if u have wireless internet on ur laptop then y dont u just move the laptop closer to the 360?

dude, putting the laptop closer to the 360 does entirely nothing. TC, you will need the 100 wireless piece, I brought mine for 50 bucks used at gamestop and there's a few going for the same price on ebay.

abe491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 abe491
Member since 2006 • 410 Posts
[QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"][QUOTE="traysmith"]

Sk8teOrDi3

dude, putting the laptop closer to the 360 does entirely nothing. TC, you will need the 100 wireless piece, I brought mine for 50 bucks used at gamestop and there's a few going for the same price on ebay.

you dont have to have the wireless piece, but you do need an ethernet cable. if you want to know i can tell how to set up live by hooking up your ethernet cable through your laptop

furrball6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 furrball6
Member since 2006 • 302 Posts

Sk8teOrDi3

Ya, you need the wireless adapter. I only know of the official one from Microsoft which runs for 100 bucks new. As Sk8teOrDi3 said, putting the laptop closer does nothing. As long as the Xbox 360 is in range of the wireless router/modem or whatever you use, it should work.

abe491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 abe491
[QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"][QUOTE="traysmith"]

furrball6

Ya, you need the wireless adapter. I only know of the official one from Microsoft which runs for 100 bucks new. As Sk8teOrDi3 said, putting the laptop closer does nothing. As long as the Xbox 360 is in range of the wireless router/modem or whatever you use, it should work.

like i said you dont have to waste 100 bucks when you can just hook your 360 to your laptop. thats what i am doing

Sk8teOrDi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sk8teOrDi3
[QUOTE="furrball6"][QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"][QUOTE="traysmith"]

abe491

like i said you dont have to waste 100 bucks when you can just hook your 360 to your laptop. thats what i am doing

wait so explain to me i got my laptop rihgt next to my 360 but my router is a few rooms away...all i gotta do is connect an ethernet cord to my laptop and it should work? if not please explain cause i'll sell this piece tomorrow

abe491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 abe491
[QUOTE="abe491"][QUOTE="furrball6"][QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"][QUOTE="traysmith"]

Sk8teOrDi3

wait so explain to me i got my laptop rihgt next to my 360 but my router is a few rooms away...all i gotta do is connect an ethernet cord to my laptop and it should work? if not please explain cause i'll sell this piece tomorrow

okay connect the 360 to your laptop. now go on start and select "my network places". on the network tasks tap on the left select "view network connections". on the wireless network connection icon left click and select properties. go on the advanced tap and on the internet connection sharing check mark both items. then turn on the 360 and access live

Sk8teOrDi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sk8teOrDi3
[QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="abe491"][QUOTE="furrball6"][QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"][QUOTE="traysmith"]

abe491

okay connect the 360 to your laptop. now go on start and select "my network places". on the network tasks tap on the left select "view network connections". on the wireless network connection icon left click and select properties. go on the advanced tap and on the internet connection sharing check mark both items. then turn on the 360 and access live

theres nothing that says "share" or any boxes to check in the advance tab. maybe you made a typo dude

cjgangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cjgangsta
Member since 2004 • 1095 Posts
Or you can buy the linksys wireless adapter like I have. It works great. Plus it comes with an ethernet cable.
Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts

Sk8teOrDi3

im talking about if he wants the ethernet cable. he can put it closer so it can reach.

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts
[QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="abe491"][QUOTE="furrball6"][QUOTE="Sk8teOrDi3"][QUOTE="patsfan4liferjn"][QUOTE="traysmith"]

abe491

this works just to let the others know

no need to buy a 100 dollar piece of equipment if you have a laptop with wifi already just plug the 360 into the laptop and use it as your wireless adaptor

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

this works just to let the others know

no need to buy a 100 dollar piece of equipment if you have a laptop with wifi already just plug the 360 into the laptop and use it as your wireless adaptor

gearsofhalogeek

Exactly. Follow these instructions and you're good to go.

Sk8teOrDi3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sk8teOrDi3
Ok, I went into the Properties section after right clicking my wireless network. When I go to the Advanced tab, there is not an option to check 2 boxes. On the other hand, when I go into my LAN line Properties, then click on Advanced, I do see the 2 checked boxes but still does nothing for my XBOX Live test, it says Failed for my IP Address. NEED OF HELP FAST!