Would the format war still be on if MS had integrated the HD-DVD drive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chineolee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chineolee
Member since 2004 • 637 Posts
If HD-DVD had been properly supported by the 360 (i.e through an internal drive), maybe the format war would still be on. After all, the PS3 has to take a lot of the credit for the success of blue ray. Its sold 10.5 million units, so thats 10.5 million players already in people's homes. It seems MS were only thinking about their production costs, and obviously weren't concerned about the next gen optical media format war. I guess you could say fair enough, as the 360 is a games machine primarily (and a great one). Still, its a coup for Sony. The PS3 now has the next gen optical drive of choice, and the 360 is stuck with a last gen drive.
SpecialED1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 SpecialED1020
Member since 2006 • 305 Posts

Probably. Who knows?

When's the Bluray attachment coming out?

Lance_Kalzas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lance_Kalzas
Member since 2007 • 2135 Posts
I think it would have made an impact but not sure how significant though. If MS had done so, that's almost 18 million more HD DVD players in people's homes. I would have preferred it too but I bought a 360 regardless because I had more issues with my PS2 than I did my Xbox. Even more than I have had with my Xbox 360! I'll probably get a PS3 though because I'm a gamer and not a fanboy. LOL. :)
FearTheRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FearTheRain
Member since 2008 • 1470 Posts

What if questions are stupid and pointless.

Microsoft would have never integrated the HD-DVD drive. Looking at the parts in the Xbox 360 anyone with common sense can easily conclude that Microsoft used the cheapest approach to releasing their console, thus the problems (3ROD).

Putting in an HD-DVD drive would have easily added $150 to the cost of the Xbox on release in November 2005.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
If this keeps up, there may have to be an auto-suspend policy in the 360 board as well. This is NOT Audio/Visual Discussion! :evil: