Wireless vs Wired ????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Veterngamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Veterngamer
Member since 2007 • 2037 Posts

I'm in a situation now, where I just moved..... and the only way for me to get my XBOX on Live is to run a cable out of my computer room and across the living room floor..... I'd rather not, as it's not too appealing to look at, plus it'd be only a matter of time b4 someone tripped over it.

So I'm wondering is Wireless much slower than Wired? Just as fast? Nearly as fast? Any info would be appreciated.... I have a wireless router, I'd just need to buy the Wireless Adapter for my 360....

Xongu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Xongu
Member since 2008 • 531 Posts
As far as i know, the wireless is just as good as the wired, i own the wireless adapter and it works fine - fast, good connection and worth buying if you don't like cables.
The only issue is that it costs so much (i paid 94.99 for mine 7 months ago)
Civfan333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Civfan333
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
well, even though it's unappealing to the eye, A wire at least provides you with a steady connection....
WeaponX295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WeaponX295
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts
I'm accessing wi-fi through my laptop with a bridged connection and I don't get much slow down other then some lag when I was playing Halo 3 but I got the same lag during the time I was borrowing a friends Wireless adapter so if you have a computer near your XBox and you want to save a hundred bucks you might want to look into that.
DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts
Depend on local interference and whether or not you want to stream media from your computer.
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

well, even though it's unappealing to the eye, A wire at least provides you with a steady connection....Civfan333

this guy speaks the truth i had a wireless adaptor and the connection was ok and then i switched to cable and i was amazing how much better it was.

GlockXIII_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GlockXIII_2
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts
that is sort of hard to pull off for some people, when i tried to do that no one botherd to help me. xbox or microsoft, not even gamespot, but it can happen and thats how i play live.
I'm accessing wi-fi through my laptop with a bridged connection and I don't get much slow down other then some lag when I was playing Halo 3 but I got the same lag during the time I was borrowing a friends Wireless adapter so if you have a computer near your XBox and you want to save a hundred bucks you might want to look into that.WeaponX295
mpalacio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mpalacio
Member since 2005 • 468 Posts
I also had the same situation. I went from wired to wireless and have yet to notice the difference. I came onto the forums and asked the same question and most told me it would be slower but I have to experience that. Worked fine for me for the last 2 years with no problems. Sucks that it costs so much though.
shaane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 shaane
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
wired cause of a reliable connection
THETRUEXBOXMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 THETRUEXBOXMAN
Member since 2005 • 169 Posts

WIRELESS, its just as fast if you have a good connection to begin with, I have rogers high speed, and its just as good.

And about the price, I got mine on eBay for about $50US almost exactly 2 years ago. And it was brand new.

conorJgeraghty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 conorJgeraghty
Member since 2007 • 222 Posts

there probably both the same but wireless is alot better for its alot more practical. Down side the cost.

wojopro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wojopro
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
Wired is a better connection. Wireless has a lot of potential drawbacks. Such as possible interference with other electronics. The distance between the Router And Receiver. Any and all obstructions will be a factor. Also, one of the biggest is quality of the hardware you purchase. So, No matter what you are going to get loss with wireless it may just not be as noticeable.
brougham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brougham
Member since 2002 • 428 Posts
I am telling you that you will not be able to tell the difference. I am using wireless on my lap top and it is the same speed whether it is plugged in or wireless. The only reason I don't use wireless on my 360 is that I think the cost for the adapter is ridiculous.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

WIRELESS, its just as fast if you have a good connection to begin with, I have rogers high speed, and its just as good.

And about the price, I got mine on eBay for about $50US almost exactly 2 years ago. And it was brand new.

THETRUEXBOXMAN

You could buy a fifty foot ethernet cable for less than half that and have a much better connection.

wojopro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wojopro
Member since 2007 • 279 Posts
Or cheaper, Make one. Which is what I did.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#16 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
Only negative with a wireless one is that you have to mind the batteries. Don't bother with sticking with AA's. The thing will chew through them quite quickly especially if you play a lot like I do. You will want the play & charge kit (an official one, too). I had some really funky problems using a third-party play & charge kit, of which all went away when I got myself the Microsoft brand set.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dark_Knight6

Only negative with a wireless one is that you have to mind the batteries. Don't bother with sticking with AA's. The thing will chew through them quite quickly especially if you play a lot like I do. You will want the play & charge kit (an official one, too). I had some really funky problems using a third-party play & charge kit, of which all went away when I got myself the Microsoft brand set.codezer0

It helps when you read the first post.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#18 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

Dark_Knight6
It helps when you read. I posted that the only negative with a wireless one was just that it chews through AA's pretty fast when you play a lot. That would certainly imply that I found the wireless controller plenty responsive and more than capable of keeping up with the wired controllers. There's really no reason to not get a wireless controller unless you can't keep up with the battery usage. But the quick and easy remedy to that would be the play & charge kit, or a couple of battery packs and that stand-alone charger that Microsoft makes so that you can keep one charging while using the other one.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
Look Wireless IS ALWAYS GOING TO BE SLOWER Can you tell a difference yes you can and if for some reason your wireless net work gets something that interfers with it then it is not worth it I personally always perfer wired its faster more reliable A LOT more faster but wireless will be fine But it is faster.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

codezer0

It helps when you read. I posted that the only negative with a wireless one was just that it chews through AA's pretty fast when you play a lot. That would certainly imply that I found the wireless controller plenty responsive and more than capable of keeping up with the wired controllers. There's really no reason to not get a wireless controller unless you can't keep up with the battery usage. But the quick and easy remedy to that would be the play & charge kit, or a couple of battery packs and that stand-alone charger that Microsoft makes so that you can keep one charging while using the other one.

I did read it, that's how I know we aren't talking about controllers in this topic. Try it some time.

kryloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kryloc
Member since 2003 • 2283 Posts
[QUOTE="codezer0"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

I did read it, that's how I know we aren't talking about controllers in this topic. Try it some time.

Double ouch. Attempt to save face: failed.

On TOPIC: Wireless can be undependable and you have a greater chance of getting periodic lag above and beyond what others are getting. And it's usually believed that you shouldn't host as a wireless connection.

Shrug. Is this an apartment? Can you wire it through the ceiling or under the floor? If not, try wrapping it along the edge of the walls, tucking it under the carpet. And getting one of those wire hiders for the floor to remove the trip hazard.

Btw, you can get a 50-100ft cable for about 10 dollars.