Wired or Wireless N???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

everdai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 everdai
Member since 2006 • 90 Posts
so i have a cheap d-link wireless N router, when i plug it into the ethernet port i'm obviously limited to 100mbps since it isn't a gigabit router. but when i plug in the wireless n adapter to my desktop i get rated at anywhere from 117 mbps to 148mbps, and on speedtest.net which i don't trust numbers wise but using it to compare the two i ran it on my wired connection, then switched over to wireless and ran it, i scored 7.8mbps down / 2.2 mbps up with my wired connection, and 10.4/1.3 with my wireless. so is it really better to run it wirelessly even though it's so close to a plug?
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i would say plug it in. it doesn't realy matter what ur speed is for xbox live as long as its broad band internet. the wireless thing for xbox 360 is $100. unless u want to pay for that then u should get it.
eXists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 eXists
Member since 2003 • 1649 Posts
Wired will always be better and u'll save $99 too so don't hesitate. I hv my 360 close to the wireless router on purpose.
skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#4 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
your speed is going to depend on your internet service provider (ISP) it doesn't matter what kind of router you have. for example, my at&t dsl runs at 1.5 megabits/second. so i can't go any faster than that. if i am downloading a demo or something with my 360, my pc will slow down. that's how it works. i have my pc wired to the router and a 360 with a wireless adapter and a laptop with a wireless pc card. everything works great.