Windows xbox 7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Angry_Bosmer
Member since 2008 • 1432 Posts

Ok so would you like to see a tweaked windows on your xbox? Would it even work?

ok so we have windows phone 7 (which is pretty cool although im an android user and it doesnt appeal to me )and (i hope) a tablet version in development. Where then is windows xbox 7? I mean... is it that hard? Use a similar structure as phone 7, skin it like the xbox dashboard and release an app market. I mean im not buying a google box if my xbox already does most of that. Its the best freaking network media player on the market. I own a PS3 aswell and its troublesome, I also dont see Sony having the resources for something like this. But hey im beyond PS3 hating, I like renting blu-rays. It would be a killer feature that would sell even more xboxs bringing to the living room as more than a console, apealing to Wii and PS3 consumers.Its a logical busness plan.

Still i want a freaking app market on my console most of all. I want to read my pdfs on my tv, I want to make powerpoint presentations on my tv, i want a decent chat client, full facebook, an internet browser, youtube. and hell with kinect support, you would have the greatess computer exprience ever. people are hacking the kinect to do all kinds of stuff... microsoft made it that way... oh i see what you did there. testing the waters microsoft? seeing what people do with your awesome new hardware before painstakingly design a new OS. hoping to have a few apps for release? I'm not familiar with what media center can do but i dont want to have to use my laptop to run the system anymore.

Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

That's a very interesting thought. It seems Microsoft wants to link their products, that would be a logical next step. I think that would be the next xbox though, I don't think it'll happen this generation. That or a new sku of the xbox 360 will be released that features Windows 7.

By the way, this is a great thread. Good work.

sharkbiscuit79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 sharkbiscuit79
Member since 2009 • 1142 Posts

if it were intergrated to the 360 that would be cool but its primarily a games console. do what i do and hook your pc to your lcd tv. in fact all i do is remove the hmdi cable from the xbox and plug it in to the output of my pc. takes about 5 seconds easy peasy

LowDownDirty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LowDownDirty
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

It would be easy to do, but no one would use it.

The Xbox 360 is simply a 4 year old good computer.......It wouldn't stand up with today's PC's except very cheap ones. So installing an OS on it is as simple as a Microsoft update, but it won't happen.

A. Everyone has PC's already

B. YOU CAN'T USE A MOUSE or Full-sized keyboard

Every game console especially the PS3 and 360 have their own OS of sorts. The PS3 and 360 are set up to act as much like media center's as possible and if there was a Windows 7 on the 360 it would have to be set up like a more simple media center OS. So really you already have it....it just doesn't look the same.

This would not be a selling point.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

heres an interesting article on microsoft and there possibilities in the TV market

http://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-kinect-tv-2011-1

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Angry_Bosmer

It would be easy to do, but no one would use it.

The Xbox 360 is simply a 4 year old good computer.......It wouldn't stand up with today's PC's except very cheap ones. So installing an OS on it is as simple as a Microsoft update, but it won't happen.

A. Everyone has PC's already

B. YOU CAN'T USE A MOUSE or Full-sized keyboard

Every game console especially the PS3 and 360 have their own OS of sorts. The PS3 and 360 are set up to act as much like media center's as possible and if there was a Windows 7 on the 360 it would have to be set up like a more simple media center OS. So really you already have it....it just doesn't look the same.

This would not be a selling point.

BrettFavor1185

your not looking at it the right way. Ading some contected tv funtionality should make it better. alot of them are already in our living rooms. so you wont have to buy a google or apple tv when they get big. I mean microsoft will want to get in on this market. making a new device is stupid. mod your existing tech that is already paid for and making millions.

the os too wouldnt be a version of windows 7. it would be app based and iinterfaced in pretty much the same way as the dashboard. It would not replace a computer, it would have similar funtionality to say a android tablet. it would make it a hell of a better media player. it would also get some pretty awesome third patry apps using kinect and the huge tv screen you have. i listed a few apps that would be cool in my post. also imagine chilling on gamespot reading articles or catching up on the local newspaper. Besides being a 4 year old computer, its standing up pretty well to the test of time. the release of kinect and a new version of the xbox shows it not only sells but it should last a long time... I mean the kinect didnt flop like the 32x did it? We've reached a point in consoles where its not about specs anymore since everyone claims that there shouldnt be another console generation for years.

as for input we have the kinect that just seems wasted the way it is. and hey a bluetooth keyboard on a newer model of xbox? or a wifi keyboard on the existing Xbox 2?

oh and the existance of this doesnt mean that the games will stop being made. i mean apple manages to creat great games and software for their devices and seriously i know a lot a people who use there xbox almost only as a media player.

that last part was a response to shark biscut. and yeah i tried connecting my laptop to my tv and its not good. its just not made for it... though im hoping to use that to game. Crysis on a laptop is mearly playable... with an xbox pad on my coutch? its awesome

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

kida yes. but if they going do something like that then best chance will be windows 8 xbox.

microsoft as already made it clear windows 8 is in making and will have far more gaming support behind it then windows 7/vista

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Angry_Bosmer

kida yes. but if they going do something like that then best chance will be windows 8 xbox.

microsoft as already made it clear windows 8 is in making and will have far more gaming support behind it then windows 7/vista

k2theswiss

its just windows in name

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

Angry_Bosmer

its just windows in name

are u 4real... " just windows in name". ok you wanna go with that theory? then why you want xbox change it's name to windows xbox 7?

Angry_Bosmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Angry_Bosmer

[QUOTE="Angry_Bosmer"]

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

k2theswiss

its just windows in name

are u 4real... " just windows in name". ok you wanna go with that theory? then why you want xbox change it's name to windows xbox 7?

well its microsoft theyll do like windows phone seven. is it like windows? no. microsoft would just use windows to show off its computing power.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

Xbox is the only console ithout a web browser, it should get one.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
it isnt to likely that you'll see a windows 7 on the xbox, i refer you to sonys reason for removing other os from the ps3 and if you want to read pdfs and etc on ya tv i recommend plugging your pc into the tv, inact im reading this on my 32 inch tv via an HDMI cable