Will the 360's price drop soon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
Im saving up to buy a 360 and I was wondering, with the PS3 dropping in price and the holidays coming up, do you think Microsoft will lower the price of the 360?
grayoldwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 grayoldwolf
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

I'm not sure that they will. The 40GB PS3 is coming out at $399. Compare this to the 360's SKUs:

$279: 360 Arcade - no HDD but a 512MB memory card and four free XBLA games included. No HDMI

$350: New 360 Premium - 20GB HDD and HDMI. Backward compatible.No included HD disc reader. Awesome game library.

$400: New PS3 - 40GB HDD and HDMI. No backward compatibility. Included BD drive. Few decent games.

$450: 360 Elite - 120GB HDD and HDMI. Backward compatible. No included HD disc reader. Awesome game library.

So in terms of price and hard drive capacity, the new PS3 falls squarely between the two main existing 360 SKUs. Its only advantage is the presence of an HD disc drive built in. So the question gamers will ask themselves this Christmas is, "Do I want a console with a great game library, or do I want a BlueRay player with a mediocre game library?"

I think the answer is pretty obvious for any non-fanboy getting into the market. I consider myself a true gamer (not a fanboy) and I am definitely in the market for an HD movie player, butI am STILL not tempted by the new PS3 SKU. I was thinking about getting aPS3for Lair, but look at how that turned out. The only games on PS3 I'm remotely tempted by are Resistance (a launch titlefor crying out loud!) and Warhawk, but to put it bluntly neither of those games scratch any itch that my 360 can't.Right now I'd rather spend $180 on the HD-DVD add-on, then spend the rest of my PS3 fund on HD-DVDs and 360 games.

Get it together, Sony! I don't want to see you become the next Sega!

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
they just had a price drop, now you want another only a few months later?
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
They just dropped it here is the link for the 360 prices.
hwcnyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hwcnyc
Member since 2007 • 203 Posts
MS might introduce some new packages this holiday season, probably at a discount.
GlassDominion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 GlassDominion
Member since 2007 • 1313 Posts

was to ignore all the other things the ps3 has in a price comparison.

and good games are an opinion.

dont expect a price drop from MS any time soon. they might, but dont count on it.

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
i dont think theres going to be another price drop
jbaird1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 jbaird1981
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

was to ignore all the other things the ps3 has in a price comparison.

and good games are an opinion.

Graywolf, do you really have that much time to explain the differences in price? I mean come on.  Try BESTBUY.com, GAMESTOP.com, etc.  And Taurus, get a job.

dont expect a price drop from MS any time soon. they might, but dont count on it.

GlassDominion

I'm not sure that they will. The 40GB PS3 is coming out at $399. Compare this to the 360's SKUs:

$279: 360 Arcade - no HDD but a 512MB memory card and four free XBLA games included. No HDMI

$350: New 360 Premium - 20GB HDD and HDMI. Backward compatible.No included HD disc reader. Awesome game library.

$400: New PS3 - 40GB HDD and HDMI. No backward compatibility. Included BD drive. Few decent games.

$450: 360 Elite - 120GB HDD and HDMI. Backward compatible. No included HD disc reader. Awesome game library.

So in terms of price and hard drive capacity, the new PS3 falls squarely between the two main existing 360 SKUs. Its only advantage is the presence of an HD disc drive built in. So the question gamers will ask themselves this Christmas is, "Do I want a console with a great game library, or do I want a BlueRay player with a mediocre game library?"

I think the answer is pretty obvious for any non-fanboy getting into the market. I consider myself a true gamer (not a fanboy) and I am definitely in the market for an HD movie player, butI am STILL not tempted by the new PS3 SKU. I was thinking about getting aPS3for Lair, but look at how that turned out. The only games on PS3 I'm remotely tempted by are Resistance (a launch titlefor crying out loud!) and Warhawk, but to put it bluntly neither of those games scratch any itch that my 360 can't.Right now I'd rather spend $180 on the HD-DVD add-on, then spend the rest of my PS3 fund on HD-DVDs and 360 games.

Get it together, Sony! I don't want to see you become the next Sega!

grayoldwolf
The_Mattster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Mattster
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Hey Glass are you living underneath a rock?

PS3 is the worst thing that ever happened in console history.

As for Halo3,are you CRAZY... you're the biggest let down the world has ever seen.

Oh and about nintendo, dude its the most advance system out of all 3, think before u comment. GEEZ.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
It just dropped...
Merl57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Merl57
Member since 2003 • 1491 Posts
will not drop soon cause halo demand is so incredibly huge no reason to lower the price
msdd9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 msdd9
Member since 2007 • 2957 Posts
I don't think the price'll go down cause the holiday season is coming up and Microsoft is gonna be making a lot of money no matter what so why drop the price?
Merl57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Merl57
Member since 2003 • 1491 Posts
to compete with the blue ray player I mean ps3 they will drop the arcade price to around $200 and the pro to $300