Will Gears 2 multiplayer be only run and shotgun like the first?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kmadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kmadon
Member since 2006 • 204 Posts

I started playing Gears 1 on my Bro's PC last month and the game is great. The MP had so much potential of being epic (team tactics and strategy using the awesome cover system) but all people do is run around with the shotty (I looked at some 360 vids on Youtube and its the same)

Now with Gears 2 having 'stopping power'.. Do you think this will work well enough to cause gamers to actually use their brains or will it be reduced to what is was with Gears1?

Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
Absolutely, problem is it's going to be a big cover fest.
Xero319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xero319
Member since 2003 • 1673 Posts
Isnt the use of cover what the devs originally wanted it to be? So really, they're making changes to make the game what is was originally supposed to be.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
seriously, Gears 1 was the best game on the Xbox 360 in my opinion, so unless Epic drops the game in an absolutely massive way, the game is going to be awesomely awesome.
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

Isnt the use of cover what the devs originally wanted it to be? So really, they're making changes to make the game what is was originally supposed to be.Xero319

Yea Cliff has even said before, the game was not supposed to turn into a shotgun fest.

Ghost_On_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghost_On_Crack
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

Yeah i just read that the shotgun does less damage.

Avatar image for Words_of_Sorrow
Words_of_Sorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Words_of_Sorrow
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
It seems the shotgun will have much less of an impact, so hopefully the online play will get better. They patched Gears 1 to make the lancer slightly more powerful than it originally was, and that seemed to help a little
makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1290 Posts
i havent heard about the shotgun's power being downgraded, but i know for a fact how they are addressing the problem of simply rolling and shotgunning. in the multiplayer exclusive video for unreal tournament 3 on the 360 cliffy b specifically says he never wanted the game to be played like that so now when you get shot in the open your character speed actually slows down and you can take more damage when rolling. hope that helps
Hickamie14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Hickamie14
Member since 2007 • 1652 Posts
It probably won't be like that, but the shot-gun WILL be effective. If you try and lanc a guy at close range and he has a shot-gun than you lose.
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
seriously, Gears 1 was the best game on the Xbox 360 in my opinion, so unless Epic drops the game in an absolutely massive way, the game is going to be awesomely awesome.Essian
I think the multiplayer was the only really poorly executed portion of the game. The whole system in Halo 3 (partying up, ranks, different playlists, etc.) is a much more effective multiplayer system than Gears.
gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts
yeah it will but now cover will be the mother action and that sucks a little
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts
yeah prob. I hope u got a 360 (who ever made thread) b/c their never releasing gears2 on the PC.
starkiller4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 starkiller4
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

gears online was just people running around with shotguns blowing each others brains out

b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts
They implemented a change to lessen the use of the shotgun. In Gears 2, if you fire on someone charging you, it stops their forward movement. So, shotgun guys can't charge you, taking lancer damage and blast you. If they charge you, you shoot with your lancer, they can't move forward and they die.
Sn0wOn420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sn0wOn420
Member since 2007 • 101 Posts

gears online was just people running around with shotguns blowing each others brains out

starkiller4

Not true. Today I got 4 headshots in one round w the sniper.Hahaha I'm a beast.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
Absolutely, problem is it's going to be a big cover fest.Mau-Justice
that's what the game was supposed to be about in the first place. i look forward to gears 2. it will be slower which some people won't like, but that's just too bad.
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

starkiller4
And what's wrong with that? I'm sick of these people crying about being shotgund to death. What's wrong with people using the gun of their choice? In fact, if they change the shotguns power in Gears of War 2 I think they're setting the game up for failure. Me, i personally think shotgunning it out is more fun than a drawn out lancer battle. Who's seriously gonna have fun with two guys taking 10 minutes to kill each-other because they're lancering then taking cover - lancering then taking cover - lancering then taking cover - lancering then cover? You get the point. I find GOW's multiplayer amazing...and if they really change the core of the game in gears 2, it's setting it up for a failure with the majority like me who loves a good shotty battle.
MuffinPunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 MuffinPunk
Member since 2007 • 4845 Posts
Not everyone plays it using only shotguns. I don't use them much and they aren't as effective when compared to power weapons which is the real game winner. Longshot, Boomshot, Torque Bow. These weapons are amazingly deadly if in the hands of a competent player.
trophylocoste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trophylocoste
Member since 2006 • 8454 Posts
Yes you havent played Gears for long...Although I wish it was all running with shotty which is not. Gears 2 will focus more on lancer and cover like the first one was intended to. When the game starts im sure its going to be all lancer but after a while it will be shotty just like gears was at first
CATERBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CATERBIRD
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
well when you read around, youll find that both the shotgun and longshot sniper rifle are going to be powered down a little so that you who constantly use both cant be as IGNORANT. they want you to play the game that they imagened and take it into your own hands, not just use the shotty or snipe ALL THE TIME.
MastaP110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MastaP110
Member since 2004 • 230 Posts
If any of you guys have seen speedball paintball its the same idea. A lot of cover and the whole game revolves around flanking. I have seen interviews about how they based gears a little off paintball.
ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
i am hoping that since stopping power is implimented that people will actually use cover and not blindly run around. Still, I don't know if i'll do any better haha... i never [played the first one online enough to get good. it annoyed me too much.