Why doesn't the game industry release more games in December?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Buffmaster1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Buffmaster1
Member since 2008 • 161 Posts

You would think they would make a killing on newly released games right before X-Mas>

daviwinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 daviwinn
Member since 2004 • 4827 Posts
cuz by december people have already bought all of their christmas gifts...most people are done christmas shopping a week after thanksgiving. Games released in January do ok though, People who got consoles or gift cards/cash for christmas will be looking for new games then.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

what the guy above said... everyone goes x mas shopping first week of dec. then any other stuff is usually late pick ups or just random stuff they found.

now if you really wan't get techical about this as in bussiness plans.

September-November is when all games fly out off the shelf's, the reason? most birthdays are around time(most birthdays start around Sept because pregnancy takes 9 months as we all know and if you go back 9 months it's the cold months where people spend most time indoors and more family time). holiday season is right there everything to gather and company's know this.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
All the big games use to come out in the run-up to Christmas. It's only been the last two years that everything has been delayed to the first quarter of the next year. It started right around the time the Call of Duty yearly updates became inexplicably popular.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

They can get sales in november, people buy the games for christmas beggining of december, and they can keep the price higher until christmas.

androflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 androflash
Member since 2005 • 1034 Posts

Forget about December, what about summer? I just spent the only free time I get per year playing the same games over and over again.

Paramore289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7 Paramore289
Member since 2008 • 389 Posts
I reckon most games come out that time will be becasue since Summers over with people are going to be inside more if the weathers getting more rubbish therefore spending time on their xbox so they'll be wanting to be putting more and more new games on the shelves for around the November time as well as for Xmas time as well.
Avatar image for xChi3FtheB34sTx
xChi3FtheB34sTx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xChi3FtheB34sTx
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Most people have already bought their gifts by the end of November.

Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

Not only all of that... BUT...

I feel that around Christmas the "industry" sees it as more of a time to sell consoles than to sell games. So I think they would concentrate more on bundles with great games than they would on just releasing new one.

Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

September, October and November are the months they release all the games they want people to buy for Christmas gifts. October and November being much more high volume. That gives people time to figure it all out and order things if they must and all that nonsense.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I have to put a xbox on my shelf and 1 game for christmas lol

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

It's usually because most people get their Christmas shopping during Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I use the summer to catch up on any great games that I missed for whatever reason.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#13 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

November would be a better release for Christmas and its what they used to do. But they have suddenly shifted to releasing games in January - March which annoys me. And I hate how literally nothing is released in the summer. Its like they think we're all outside living our lives, the fools :P

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Forget about December, what about summer? I just spent the only free time I get per year playing the same games over and over again.

androflash

Summer's like the best time to do things other than gaming.

oinfinityyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 oinfinityyy
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Well if more games were released in dec less money would be made, people would buy the best game and forget about the others
killev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 killev
Member since 2010 • 657 Posts

my summer vacation is gonna end and i havent played any good games. i wish halo reach could release a week earlier damm