Why does my Xbox 360 turns itself off??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 JoeDawg2100
Member since 2010 • 64 Posts

Ever since my original power brick for my Xbox crapped out and had to get a new one, my Xbox turns itself off. It only does it within the first ten minutes of me turning it on. For example: in the morning, I'll turn it on to play a game and after about 3 or 4 minutes, it dings and cuts off as if a ghost or something pressed the off button on the console. I usually turn it back on in frustration, then after another 5 maybe 6 minutes, it does it again.

In frustration again, I'll turn it back on and after that, it doesn't do it again. I'll play for about 2 straight hours and it doesn't do it anymore. My theory is, maybe it needs to warm up or something?? I don't know! The fan on the new power brick is working great. My fear is that whatever's causing this may eventually kill my Xbox. I want to identify the problem before it becomes worst. Any ideas?

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts

I know there is a setting for the console to shut down after so many hours of inactivity, but that's something you can go in and set yourself and control. But if it's doing it in that short amount of time something is definitely wrong. Overheating maybe?

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

It's probably your xbox power bar, did you get a second hand one? or third party? Best bet would be to get an official xbox power brick, try it out and if it doesn't fix the problem then return it to the store and troubleshoot from there. But that's most likely the case, since this is the second time it happened though, it might mean a faulty connector in the xbox itself, or the outlet you are using is messing it up. If it's directly connected to the wall then you might need to get some electrical work done, if it's connected to a power bar, then it could be the cause of the problem (it won't solve your problem now if your xbox power supply by is fried, but it could be sending inaccurate amounts of voltage or shortages and messing up your xbox power bar)

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
get a new power brick
Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
Are you sure you didnt set the console to shut off within a certain time? I have mine set to shut off after an hour of inactivity.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

get a new power brickpiranha_inc

where do u get one of those.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoeDawg2100

I do have it set to shut off after an hour of inactivity. But that's the thing.... if i can keep it to stay on at least ten minutes, I'm good. It doesn't do it anymore after that. It only does it within the first ten minutes of me turning it on. It's as if it has to warm up or something for it to stop doing it.

JoeDawg2100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JoeDawg2100

It's probably your xbox power bar, did you get a second hand one? or third party? Best bet would be to get an official xbox power brick, try it out and if it doesn't fix the problem then return it to the store and troubleshoot from there. But that's most likely the case, since this is the second time it happened though, it might mean a faulty connector in the xbox itself, or the outlet you are using is messing it up. If it's directly connected to the wall then you might need to get some electrical work done, if it's connected to a power bar, then it could be the cause of the problem (it won't solve your problem now if your xbox power supply by is fried, but it could be sending inaccurate amounts of voltage or shortages and messing up your xbox power bar)

23Jarek23

Hey, I think you maybe right. This was actually my third time purchasing a new power brick. The first two times, I got them straight from Microsoft because I still had a warranty. The third time, which was about a few months ago (which is actually around the time this started happening) I bought it from a store called "GameShop" (not to be confused with Gamestop). They claimed that they order their powerbricks straight from microsoft, but without all the shipping and handling charges. So, I was like "Cool... no shipping and handling"...plus it only took two days for me to get it. But when I picked it up from the store, it looks a little different from the original powerbricks. Is there a sure way to tell if Microsoft made it... maybe by looking at the serial number on the brick?

bangoskankwas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bangoskankwas
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I know you guys wont believe this but I got a free Microsoft points card code and it worked! Got it at freemspointsforever com