Why do Microsoft go on about the cloud being a good thing/

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

All it means is when the consoles online services go offline, you'll not be able to play the games again. I don't buy online games for consoles that I want to get invested in, I always buy PC because they'll always be online for as long as people care. However if I'm buying a Single Player game and it requires an online connection to function....... I see no value in that.

When the last gen goes offline, it'll be real telling for how much worse it'll be in the future.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

We don't know how Microsoft will handle it when it's time to put these consoles offline. Other than that I think the cloud service is interesting for this generation, but I don't make it out to sound like it's better than a NASA computer like Microsoft are lol.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Would you rather say its a Bad Thing ?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@gajbutler said:

All it means is when the consoles online services go offline, you'll not be able to play the games again. I don't buy online games for consoles that I want to get invested in, I always buy PC because they'll always be online for as long as people care. However if I'm buying a Single Player game and it requires an online connection to function....... I see no value in that.

When the last gen goes offline, it'll be real telling for how much worse it'll be in the future.

All guesses

You have no idea what will happen

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4195 Posts

Seeing that my Xbox One struggles to stream a baseball game, I don't have any faith spending 60$ on a game that relies on the console's shoddy internet connection.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts

It can help with game performance as well.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

What game can you not play single player on without internet? I have played several without a problem.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@gajbutler said:

PR man. To sell systems and to give hope that there is more to come for those disappointed.

They put out the koolaid like every company, it's up to you the consumer if you want to slurp that marketing spin down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@SolidTy: its not PR........

There was a demonstration during GDC.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BattleSpectre

@acp_45 said:

Take demonstrations with a huge grain of salt, just sayin'.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@acp_45: Haha dont worry its solidty's latest favorite comment. PR, PR, PR. Like we dont already know it exists.

Its ignorant to assume PR is the enemy. The enemy is deception and until we have been proven to have been lied to by MS about the cloud then there is absolutely no need whatsoever to assume its PR bullshit.

I prefer the optimistic innocent until proven guilty stance. No doubt solidty will assume I have fallen victim to PR....lol.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidTy

@BattleSpectre said:

@acp_45 said:

Exactly. BTW: My post is about a week old, surprised it was bumped today.

Been alive too long to listen to any companies song and dance on faith, from medicine to sports to current events to politics to gaming. They have a product to sell and more power to them. Even with Doctor's I get a second and third opinion, and it has paid off.

We saw cloud applications last gen and while dah cloudz are obviously real, what people think Cloud is and does has been exaggerated. That's when sales come in, to confuse the masses and drum up support from the laymen/proletariat. Safest bet is to see what happens.

____

That always_explicit person has demonstrated over the last six months repeatedly that he believes and trusts PR and thinks we all should. I've run across with him a few times and I see no need to engage as I've done it at least a dozen times and I've had little success with him (not others), here's one classic conversation about this...

TIRED CLOUD GAMING TOPIC

from four months ago (Linky to my stance on cloud). I don't even talk about CLOUD this and that anymore, I've said all I can say on the subject. I was about to link 4 other threads about cloud and PR. It's boring. The TC wants to know why the company is going on and on, it's because they have too. It's a glimmer of hope in a dark tunnel. They had an opportunity to make the most powerful gaming console on the planet. Whatever, that's my piece.

One more link to yet another thread I posted about clouds. As a matter of fact, those threads I ran into always-explicit and he was quite the defender of PR and clouds in those threads too. Dude really loves clouds, but not as much as PR. He makes threads based on PR reps after all. As I keep saying:

As an Xbone owner, it would be nice to believe PR...but I'm too old for fairy tales and PR stories from any of the companies. I got the machines and I don't need buzz words or poppycock to sell me, I am just waiting for software. I don't want to "rain" on anyone's parade though.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre

@SolidTy: With the money and power Microsoft hold, I'm still surprised they let Sony outmatch them hardware wise to be honest.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

@BattleSpectre said:

@SolidTy: With the money and power Microsoft hold, I'm still surprised they let Sony outmatch them hardware wise to be honest.

I was shocked as well, actually. Absolutely floored.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BattleSpectre

@SolidTy said:

@BattleSpectre said:

They were more focused on the whole all-in-one entertainment package and risked losing some hardware power to fulfil that I guess. But even then I wonder, they are loaded why did they have to make sacrifices?

They could of easily been at the top right now, with their unique all-in-one features and having the hardware power to boot. I guess it's not all doom and gloom though, graphics will still look great and some awesome exclusives but still.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidTy

@BattleSpectre said:

@SolidTy said:

@BattleSpectre said:

They were more focused on the whole all-in-one entertainment package and risked losing some hardware power to fulfil that I guess. But even then I wonder, they are loaded why did they have to make sacrifices?

They could of easily been at the top right now, with their unique all-in-one features and having the hardware power to boot. I guess it's not all doom and gloom though, graphics will still look great and some awesome exclusives but still.

Yeah. It didn't help that they had a new Windows 8 team behind the machine instead of the original 360 team. They threw all those previous ideas good/bad out the window and it was like a new company making a new machine almost.

The end result is the news we got yesterday which was very "competition" inspired (other say copying Sony). Kinect is being removed and a price drop is due in June. A $399 Xbone for the masses. It's not all doom and gloom, but they had a golden opportunity to have the most powerful hardware AND be the whole entertainment package and they were trying to get lightening to strike twice and decided to cut costs. They were chasing after the Wii's pot of gold from last gen, but at the $500 mark, it just wasn't going to happen.

I actually predicted the kinectless Xbone last year before the machine released once I saw they were intent on sticking with that $500 strategy. I don't know how they gauged the market so poorly, but they are trying to turn it around at least.

SolidTy 6 months, 7 days ago (BEFORE THE XBONE RELEASED):

"The specs are done cooked and out of the oven, but it's very likely a $400ish Kinectless Xbone is coming off the meat train next year if sales don't go their way."

Well, I got my Xbone for the games, so I'm looking forward to E3 to see what they have in store for me since the first half of this year has been a drought for me.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BattleSpectre

@SolidTy: Good call on that one, and yeah same reason I bought the Xbox One Day One Edition. I also have a PS4 but I just knew how much fun I had with my 360, and all those amazing exclusives Microsoft have to offer I just had to have one.

I don't want to be that guy sitting on the sideline wishing an exclusive would come over to my system, I just want the best of both worlds, hence why I always buy both systems. Can't wait for E3.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@gajbutler:

In defense of the much ridiculed 'cloud', dedicated servers are no small thing. Titanfall wouldn't have launched half as smoothly without it - just look at Battlefield 4 and Sim City for evidence of this.

What's more, the adaptive, player-based AI only seen in games like Forza, which is one of the most innovative things I've ever seen this gen so far, is an incredible addition to that game and has tremendous potential for many genres. And this is just one application of the technology.

Talk all you will about some doomsday scenario when they are forced to turn off the servers, but should that happen, losing your games collection will be the least of your worries because the country will have collapsed and your neighbors will be breaking down your door to steal all your canned goods. Microsoft isn't going to be going out of business, much to the consternation of many people on this forum. People, I might add, who are criticizing the company by way of a Windows device.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@SolidTy: *sigh* what a drag ? -_-

Fine I get it !

This world’s ideals are all out of joint. Society is wrong.......

I get it....

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SolidTy

@acp_45 said:

@SolidTy: *sigh* what a drag ? -_-

Fine I get it !

This world’s ideals are all out of joint. Society is wrong.......

I get it....

It's all good. Chin up.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

Streaming games online is faster than installed or disc reading. I watched a video probably it was from Microsoft and they showed a demo of exploding building. It was way too faster like way way too faster than the demo played by the disc. The shattering pieces took great amount of time to fly compared the online streaming demo and also there way drop in frame rate in the disc based demo. I like cloud gaming but its only possible in Japan now?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@fgjnfgh: do you honestly want me to fricken hit you through your screen......... that is technologically impossible.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fgjnfgh

@acp_45: that's because it doesn't require much specs, go ahead and watch it

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

You guys should know that Sony has already been talking about the PS5 being less powerful and using the cloud. I'm sure if Sony goes ahead with using the Cloud with it's next console it will be the next greatest thing in the world.

Poor MS got shot full of holes because they tried to use the Cloud, they can't now because some poor people without internet couldn't play. Huge step backwards because of some dumb A$$ people!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@fgjnfgh: how can streaming over the internet be faster than a disk...?

You say that it doesn't require much specs ?

I guess that's true since everything comes streaming in...... But I highly doubt this...

I highly doubt that MS would even come close to stream 10% of a games textures on your screen..... It would make sense if they combined it with disk running a game and cloud computing taking some of the textures....giving hardware some breathing space or perhaps space to do something else.... But I even doubt that this would happen anytime soon.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BattleSpectre

@rrjim1 said:

You guys should know that Sony has already been talking about the PS5 being less powerful and using the cloud. I'm sure if Sony goes ahead with using the Cloud with it's next console it will be the next greatest thing in the world.

Poor MS got shot full of holes because they tried to use the Cloud, they can't now because some poor people without internet couldn't play. Huge step backwards because of some dumb A$$ people!

It's not because they tried to use the cloud. They're getting all this backlash because they tried to tell us the cloud will be so powerful it can hack NASA computers and stop rockets in mid air. They tried saying it'll make the Xbox One so powerful and great - that's why they shot their own foot.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not writing off the Cloud and actually have high hopes for it, but I don't believe all this bullshit they're trying to feed us. I like how the cloud is used in Forza 5 with the AI and I think they'll continue to do cool things like that with it.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fgjnfgh

@acp_45: so you are convinced now huh? Punch you in the face?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@fgjnfgh: lol..... Im not convinced that streaming is faster than disk. That's kind of against logic

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@acp_45 said:

Exactly. BTW: My post is about a week old, surprised it was bumped today.

Been alive too long to listen to any companies song and dance on faith, from medicine to sports to current events to politics to gaming. They have a product to sell and more power to them. Even with Doctor's I get a second and third opinion, and it has paid off.

We saw cloud applications last gen and while dah cloudz are obviously real, what people think Cloud is and does has been exaggerated. That's when sales come in, to confuse the masses and drum up support from the laymen/proletariat. Safest bet is to see what happens.

____

That always_explicit person has demonstrated over the last six months repeatedly that he believes and trusts PR and thinks we all should. I've run across with him a few times and I see no need to engage as I've done it at least a dozen times and I've had little success with him (not others), here's one classic conversation about this...

TIRED CLOUD GAMING TOPIC

from four months ago (Linky to my stance on cloud). I don't even talk about CLOUD this and that anymore, I've said all I can say on the subject. I was about to link 4 other threads about cloud and PR. It's boring. The TC wants to know why the company is going on and on, it's because they have too. It's a glimmer of hope in a dark tunnel. They had an opportunity to make the most powerful gaming console on the planet. Whatever, that's my piece.

One more link to yet another thread I posted about clouds. As a matter of fact, those threads I ran into always-explicit and he was quite the defender of PR and clouds in those threads too. Dude really loves clouds, but not as much as PR. He makes threads based on PR reps after all. As I keep saying:

As an Xbone owner, it would be nice to believe PR...but I'm too old for fairy tales and PR stories from any of the companies. I got the machines and I don't need buzz words or poppycock to sell me, I am just waiting for software. I don't want to "rain" on anyone's parade though.

You will find in the threads you mentioned I defend PR and Marketing for two reasons.

Firstly, they will always exist. It doesnt need to be pointed out that it does exist.

Secondly, until it is proven that the PR and marketing was absolute nonsense then there is no reason to disbelieve it. You stated in this thread you like to get multiple opinions on certain things, more power to you, its sensible. You just seem to enjoy commenting on any shred of news and claiming it to be PR and marketing nonsense.

We are all aware of what marketing and PR is. We are all capable of passing judgement on it. What I disagree with are people writing of PR with no proof as to its legitimacy.

A press release stating Halo will be released in 2015 is PR and marketing but its not nonsense until it such a time that Halo is not released in 2015.

A press release or tech demo regarding the use of the cloud in gaming is also PR/marketing but using the same logic I wouldnt deem it to be nonsense until we fail to see the benefits outlined in the release.

Its not a case of loving PR and marketing, I game because I enjoy it. Good news is good news in my mind...until its validated or invalidated, then I deal with it and it informs my purchasing decision. Sorry if my optimism regarding my hobby is so confusing for you.

gajbutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gajbutler
Member since 2011 • 193 Posts

My problem isn't if it adds anything to the experience, my argument is it means the games wont work without an online connection. This basically just means their always on thing might as well have just happened, at least that way we get the benefits that original plan offered. Also it means when the service goes down, you cannot play your games again.....

To me requiring an internet connection to play games = shit, like Titanfall, what happens if I want to play that online with a handful of friends when the servers go down? I cannot, yet in the old days you had lan or split screen.