Why did Microsoft kill Rare?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G-dorf11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 G-dorf11
Member since 2009 • 811 Posts

Or why doesn't microsoft rejuvenate any of Rare's many franchises? I want to see Killer Instict 3, a new funny Conker game,and a new Perfect dark.What happened to all of them?Rare use to be boss during the N64/PS1 era, but ever since microsoft has acquired them, they don't seem to be doing anything at all. I really don't get why Microsoft isn't using any of Rare's franchises,if microsoft made a killer instict game, we would have a mortal kombat killer, and they could give competition to the smash bros series, so can anyone explain to me why Rare isn't making any new games?

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts

Or why doesn't microsoft rejuvenate any of Rare's many franchises? I want to see Killer Instict 3, a new funny Conker game,and a new Perfect dark.What happened to all of them?Rare use to be boss during the N64/PS1 era, but ever since microsoft has acquired them, they don't seem to be doing anything at all. I really don't get why Microsoft isn't using any of Rare's franchises,if microsoft made a killer instict game, we would have a mortal kombat killer, and they could give competition to the smash bros series, so can anyone explain to me why Rare isn't making any new games?

G-dorf11
i was hoping for a kameo 2
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
[QUOTE="G-dorf11"]

Xbox360Gamer15

They had Kameo 2 in the works but I heard they canned it. At least it was a rumor about it. A shame because I wanted a sequel to Kameo. Great game
Caldziee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Caldziee
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts

Killer Instinct 3 would be truely epic

i spent months and prob years on number 2 always went back for a session loved it

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 JStroud88
Member since 2009 • 626 Posts

Microsoft didn't kill Rare, they are still very much alive. You apparently haven't played Viva Pinata, that was a great game. Very addictive.

Rare has stated in the past that they don't want/like to make sequels of their many franchises as they have so many ideas for new ones.

But as far as Retro sequels/ports, I would want any of the following..

Battletoads Port to XLA

New Battletoads

Jet Force Gemini port to XLA

New Jet Force Gemini

Viva Pinata Kinect

Perfect Dark 2

Kameo 2

Banjo 3

Conker 2

DeathB2U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DeathB2U
Member since 2004 • 705 Posts
[QUOTE="Caldziee"]

i spent months and prob years on number 2 always went back for a session loved it

I have the stand-up arcade unit in my basement :D
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Because some things can't be explained. I would want to see those games JStroud88 listed though along with Killer Instinct 3.

DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"][QUOTE="G-dorf11"]

RoslindaleOne

They had Kameo 2 in the works but I heard they canned it. At least it was a rumor about it. A shame because I wanted a sequel to Kameo. Great game

Although highly underappreciated.
SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SLUSHiNaToR
Member since 2009 • 1366 Posts
i thought that Rare was working on (a) title(s) for kinect..
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mitu123

i thought that Rare was working on (a) title(s) for kinect.. SLUSHiNaToR
Kinect Sports.

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JStroud88

[QUOTE="SLUSHiNaToR"]i thought that Rare was working on (a) title(s) for kinect.. mitu123

Kinect Sports.

Rare are supposedly making a game announcement at either Gamescom or Tokyo Game Show, though GamesCom is more likely. It will probably be a Kinect title.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Rare lost most of its talent during the GameCube days, the coffin was already closed when Microsoft bought them, Microsoft just nailed it.

GrandJury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GrandJury
Member since 2009 • 15396 Posts

Microsoft didn't kill Rare, they are still very much alive. You apparently haven't played Viva Pinata, that was a great game. Very addictive.

Rare has stated in the past that they don't want/like to make sequels of their many franchises as they have so many ideas for new ones.

Battletoads Port to XLA

New Battletoads

New Jet Force Gemini

Viva Pinata Kinect

Perfect Dark 2

Kameo 2

Banjo 3

Conker 2

JStroud88

Compared to what they use to be, they might as well be dead.

Avatar image for Killmckillerkil
Killmckillerkil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Killmckillerkil
Member since 2010 • 443 Posts
rare died once killer instincts came out lol
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="JStroud88"]

Battletoads Port to XLA

New Battletoads

New Jet Force Gemini

Viva Pinata Kinect

Perfect Dark 2

Kameo 2

Banjo 3

Conker 2

GrandJury

Compared to what they use to be, they might as well be dead.

Their collective game average for this gen is only out classed by their n64 work. Nostalgia at it's finest.
Qu0t3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Qu0t3
Member since 2010 • 30 Posts

id love to see a new conker

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
Many people left rare when they were sold to microsoft, creating other game studios. In addition, rare has a track record of spending excess amounts of money on things. An example would be Perfect Dark Zero. Quote from wiki: "It was initially planned as a Nintendo GameCube title; however, the game suffered countless delays due to internal team problems and platform-switching issues.[1] Overall, the actual development of the game took five years to complete. The game was generally well received by critics, though the reaction was not very positive in fan community."
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I still like their games.

Alecvgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Alecvgamer
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't think Rare has died, but Microsoft is not managing them correctly. Rare should expand their franchises, but are always known for establishing new IP's. Viva Pinata and Kameo are clear examples of this. However, a new conker is what I would want the most from rare. I honestly think the first bad rare games was the ghoulies game and now the kinect sports.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

well. to be fair.

Rare has done a lot more this generation than they had last generation with Nintendo. so if they manage a Gamecube-esque record next generation, i'll count them as down and out.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#21 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"][QUOTE="Xbox360Gamer15"] i was hoping for a kameo 2DeanG642

More like mediocre Zelda knock-off.

JStroud88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JStroud88

[QUOTE="DeanG642"][QUOTE="RoslindaleOne"] They had Kameo 2 in the works but I heard they canned it. At least it was a rumor about it. A shame because I wanted a sequel to Kameo. Great gameNeonNinja

More like mediocre Zelda knock-off.

Not at all, you must not have even played the game. Very few, if any similarities. What an odd thing to say.

Jachael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jachael
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

i was hoping for a kameo 2Xbox360Gamer15

[Runs away screaming]

Charles3646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Charles3646
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I think That Microsoft just purchased RARE, to ensure the company won't be developing for nintendo anymore. Apparently nintendo had nothing more to take out of rare cause they owned 49% of rare and they sold it to Microsoft without any remorse. I also think that Microsoft wanted Rare to be the key answer to Nintendo quality software lineup (other then shooters, that are developed by anyone these days) and SCE platformers (developed by insomniac and naugthy dog).

The facts are thatthey paid 375 millions to kill the company ensuring that all the talented programmers and designers would run in fright knowing that they aspire to more then replicate wii sports in a 360 twist of the genre (literally).

Sadly, I do hope that we'll see one of the true rare game franchise ressurfacing in a couple of years, But rare has become a name, the name of one microsoft games studios like any other, minus all the original creators of the brand. So even if Banjo 3 or conker3 arecreated without the original music composer, game designer, characters designers etc..... Do you think the game could retain the originals spirit.

To conclude GreggMayles one ofRARE leader stated:"our aim is to take the 3D platform adventuring game into the next generation and do something more than just adding polygons. Some fans look back fondly and want more of the same, but the Banjo of yesteryear has no real place in tomorrow's market on the Xbox 360. What we want to do is retain all the elements that made the first two games so loved, but also try things that breathe new life into a genre that has sadly been neglected for many years " He said this when theBanjo ultimately "spin-off" was anounced, By looking at the sales of games like New super mario bros wii and the praise that fans of the genre puts in sequels of they're favorite games someone is probably biting his nails nowadays.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Beause unfortunately Rare simply haven't been able to re-capture their old success this generation. Kameo was great, but not amazing. Perfect Dark Zero was very disappointing. Banjo Nuts and Bolts was fun, but had nothing on the Banjo Kazooie games of old. If you can't make any money, you have to start doing something else, and unfortunately Rare are now Microsoft's Nintendo factory, making Wii Sports and the like for the 360.
qbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 qbell
Member since 2006 • 1035 Posts
[QUOTE="DeathB2U"][QUOTE="Caldziee"]

damn you!
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

New Battletoads, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, and Conker are all we need.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#28 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Rare killed Rare.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mitu123

[QUOTE="DeathB2U"][QUOTE="Caldziee"]

qbell

damn you!

He is so lucky.

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30684 Posts

well. to be fair.

Rare has done a lot more this generation than they had last generation with Nintendo. so if they manage a Gamecube-esque record next generation, i'll count them as down and out.

HavocV3
MS has owned Rare since 2002, the GC had even been out for a full year by the time Rare left the Nintendo fold. And of course it didn't happen overnight, all parties involved had to know what was coming, so Rare didn't have things lined up for the cube. Anyway, I just don't think MS and Rare were a good match. I think MS picked them up, simple because of how successful they had been on the SNES and N64. At that time MS was probably just trying to pad its library, no one could have expected Halo to be Halo.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mitu123

[QUOTE="HavocV3"]

well. to be fair.

Sepewrath

MS has owned Rare since 2002, the GC had even been out for a full year by the time Rare left the Nintendo fold. And of course it didn't happen overnight, all parties involved had to know what was coming, so Rare didn't have things lined up for the cube. Anyway, I just don't think MS and Rare were a good match. I think MS picked them up, simple because of how successful they had been on the SNES and N64. At that time MS was probably just trying to pad its library, no one could have expected Halo to be Halo.

Yes, I believe that as well.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

I wanted Donkey Kong Racing to come out.

markinthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 markinthedark
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

alot of early gaming companies didnt age well....

i knew rare was going to be one of them even before they started sucking hard. I could have saved MS $375 million.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mitu123

I wanted Donkey Kong Racing to come out.

Tigerman950

DK is owned by Nintendo, though they can make games for the Nintendo DS, Viva Pinata was on there after all.

n0viKain3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By n0viKain3
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
@Killmckillerkil said:
rare died once killer instincts came out lol

Really? Killer Instinct was one of the best selling fighting games even better than street fighter. Plus after they made Killer Instinct they proceeded to come out with games that broke sales records and win multiple awards until Microsoft bought them out. Seems to me like you're not a gamer and just ignorant or maybe you're a CoD fanboy either or. Every time I see idiots like you post comments or post videos or even talk to me I can feel my braincells committing suicide one by one. Lastly it's called Killer Instinct not killer instincts, you forgot to capitalize and if you are talking about both of them in a plural sense you should have said; "Rare died once the Killer Instincts came out."

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Do not bump old topics.