Who else is tired of the Unreal III engine?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Skullweaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Skullweaver
Member since 2003 • 26 Posts
Don't get me wrong it is very purty. But come on it seems like 1/3 big blockbuster games use it. It just seems like a lazy alternative for developers to make their games look good. I'd like to see more next-gen engines out there. But I don't know anything, so my opinion is useless.
tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
so, it makes awesome looking games but it's lazy? que pasa?
Avatar image for brandonthesaint
brandonthesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#3 brandonthesaint
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts
Wouldn't you use it if you were making a game? I mean yeah a lot of people use it because it's got great graphics, the engine runs fast, and Unreal games are some of the best games avalable so developers think they can hit one out of the park. Also, it takes a long time to just make the engine for a game, most developers just want to go straight to the game and start making the final product. And, there are others out there, but when developers use this way to make their game and then the game sucks, theres no excuse in my opinion.
Hofflehoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hofflehoff
Member since 2007 • 38 Posts
Well it allows for some of the best graphics i've ever seen, so I got no problem with it, tbh
Skullweaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skullweaver
Why don't they just make their own engine. I don't know. Instead of buying an engine licence?(is that what they do?) Make their own, who cares if it is **** at least theymade it on their own steam. Or spend some money instead on a decent writer. What passes for story in the medium of video games leave a lot to be desired. They say Mass Effect has good story but it's a regurgitated nonsense from every sci-fi since the late 70's.
Skullweaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Skullweaver
Also when all games all start looking the same I start to worry.
MrSickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrSickVisionz
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

Don't get me wrong it is very purty. But come on it seems like 1/3 big blockbuster games use it. It just seems like a lazy alternative for developers to make their games look good. I'd like to see more next-gen engines out there. But I don't know anything, so my opinion is useless. Skullweaver

I totally disagree. It gives developers more time to focus on actually making game content and doing creative things, rather than wasting time having to code collision detection and lighting.

Skullweaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Skullweaver
Good point.
Raz0redge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Raz0redge
Member since 2004 • 1796 Posts

I'm sorry but you really have no clue on what you're talking about. The engine that runs the game isn't just for graphics but also provides the needed physics and many other things that could easily take a very large team of developers a year or more to develop on their own. The WHOLE idea of a company like ID or Epic working on just engines is to make it easier for other developers to focus on story development and not deal with particle effects, lighting, shadows, physics and all the mechanical things that go to make characters on screen do what they do.

If EVERY developer was to create their own engine for each game development, each company would spend time creating a single engine and then reuse that to death and only update when really needed. On the other hand by allowing a handful of companies to focus entirely on engines, other developers get access to the latest and greatest technology to showcase their own game.

Check out the latest ID engine Tech videos to see the VERY cool things they are doing with the engine and the things you get "automatically" for just using their engine..

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts
retarded thread. Think about hwo much work it is to make an engine that is good looking enough for todays graphcis capaibilities. the entire industry will move to this scheme eventually where you liscence an engine and make your game with it. it saves time and money and improves release times. If everyone made their own engiens, it would be years and years between releases.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

It makes perfect sense to license and engine and to use a licensed engine, it makes things easier for all developers.

My gripe with Unreal Engine 3.0 is that some games can look too similar, like Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3, the character models are nearly identical. I like that BioShock was able to create something that looked different, and I am totally curious to see what Midway does with Mortal Kombat on the UE 3.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
I'm not complaining over the engine but the artistic design that shapes that engine. I know a lot of games need or even require the use of gritty urban environments / destroyed beauty but come on it's getting ******* tedious. Just because the UE3 engine can do gritty, destroyed urban environments well doesn't mean you are forced as developers to take that route.
zeroncali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 zeroncali
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts
Ive been tired of it since it was released really...
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

It makes perfect sense to license and engine and to use a licensed engine, it makes things easier for all developers.

My gripe with Unreal Engine 3.0 is that some games can look too similar, like Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3, the character models are nearly identical. I like that BioShock was able to create something that looked different, and I am totally curious to see what Midway does with Mortal Kombat on the UE 3. Large_Soda

thats nothing to do with them 2 games both using the unreal engine. its because both the same crews made gears of war and unreal 3 its epics game.

the engines dont make every game look the same the people who licence the engine still need to create they own graphics. they are just given an engine to build the game in they aint any character models or anything already set out.

its just probally that the same people who desinged the characters got some reapeat work after gears of war. so they bound to look similar espieally when they had such a big hit. why stray from the mould when they clearly want unreal tournamant to show what the engine can do just like have done in the past. as better it does more liceces they will sell.

just coz games use unreal engine dont mean they all will look the same, just look at stranglehold, r6 vegas, bioshock, splinter cell and gears they all look well different. if your think of it like a painter and epic are supplying the paint and canvass, its up to the artist to pull something out that looks amazing. even a great engine cant supply great graphics out if the people using it dont have knowledge and skill to make it themsleves