Whats so appeling about fighting games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PAPERWARIO89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 PAPERWARIO89
Member since 2011 • 128 Posts

Hey guys, i have a question whats so appealing about fighting games? after one match the game feels stale. any comments

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
Fighting games can be really exciting, especially at higher levels of play. They're games that take more than just mashing buttons; you need the skills to assess situations quickly, and know how to get out of them.
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

imo... if you want to play a fighting game for hours you need to get in a lobby..or rematch mode.

for streetfighter 4 get into an endless match game...with like 3 or 4 people... watching the others in the lobby fight and then when its your turn is awesome..

in marvel vs capcom 3...get into player match...after you the game you can choose to rematch... if you find a cool person you could play up to an hour..

mortal kombat...either player match or king of the hill..

---

basically choose a mode where you can rematch the person..if your just playing ranked matches it gets old really fast..

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts
....whats the point in this post? ... some people like fighting games, some people dont, I see no point discussing such things :S
Ducati996R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ducati996R
Member since 2006 • 520 Posts

After one game? What game is this as most take weeks of practice to get good at so you won't get your a** owned online. More so than FPS where you at least have friends to help and cover to hide behind, not just you and someone that's got weeks of practice over you.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

well fighting games are perhaps the one of the most fun and competitive genres out there next to FPS and RTS games. Most of the fighting games out now are actually quite complex and take a great amount of skill to play at a high level. So its hugely satisfying to work hard to become great at the game and face other people to put your skills to the test.

Saying that its stale after 1 match says one of two things, either you just genuinely don't like fighting games or you seriously haven't given them a chance. It helps if you play online / with friends though because playing against computers and offline only will quickly get boring. A large amount of the fun from fighting games come from the fact they they are usually like mental chess and as such is very dull against a computer who doesn't really think.

It also helps if you dig deeper into the game and try to learn its advanced mechanics. Many of the games out now seem simple on the surface (SF4 / MVC3) but are actually many layers deep and extremely complex at tournament level play. For example take MVC3. People often claim that its a button masher which is true at low level play but when two skilled players are going head to head it becomes anything but and then it becomes too deep for most people to wrap their heads around. That and you start to see combos that are way more complex than the general L -> M -> H -> S variety.

Last but not least most people will benefit greatly from picking up either a fight pad or fight stick of some sort to play fighting games. The default controllers for both systems just dont cut it as they weren't designed for fighting games. Some people can make them work but those people are few and far in between. Its hard to get enjoyment out of a fighting game when you cant pull off the tougher stuff due to your controller.

PAPERWARIO89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PAPERWARIO89

no disrespect intended to fighting game lovers

ASunGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ASunGod
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts
BOOBIES
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

Anderson Silva

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
Fighting games can be really exciting, especially at higher levels of play. They're games that take more than just mashing buttons; you need the skills to assess situations quickly, and know how to get out of them.Drakebunny
By mashing the CORRECT buttons REALLY FAST.
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Drakebunny
[QUOTE="Drakebunny"]Fighting games can be really exciting, especially at higher levels of play. They're games that take more than just mashing buttons; you need the skills to assess situations quickly, and know how to get out of them.HilbillyRokstar

You can't mash and win in high level play.
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="Drakebunny"]Fighting games can be really exciting, especially at higher levels of play. They're games that take more than just mashing buttons; you need the skills to assess situations quickly, and know how to get out of them.Drakebunny

Really, since when does ANY fighting game NOT involve button mashing? I'm pretty sure in any Street Fighter game, that's all you do besides moving your "fighting" stick around.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gen007

[QUOTE="Drakebunny"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]By mashing the CORRECT buttons REALLY FAST.HilbillyRokstar

Really, since when does ANY fighting game NOT involve button mashing? I'm pretty sure in any Street Fighter game, that's all you do besides moving your "fighting" stick around.

lol really? button masing will not help you to win in any fighting game especially not street fighter. You cant even mash light attacks in SF3/4 everything has specific timings to it and mashing will only ensure that you end up eating a really nasty combo.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]

[QUOTE="Drakebunny"] You can't mash and win in high level play.Gen007

lol really? button masing will not help you to win in any fighting game especially not street fighter. You cant even mash light attacks in SF3/4 everything has specific timings to it and mashing will only ensure that you end up eating a really nasty combo.

Yeah, and at those specific moments , what do you do to the button? I didn't say anything about random button mashing. But it is all repetitive and timing based mashing of buttons.
Warablo13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Warablo13
Member since 2009 • 1289 Posts

I enjoyed MK's story mode. I also played online for about 150 matches... The game has some pretty cool features...

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gen007

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Really, since when does ANY fighting game NOT involve button mashing? I'm pretty sure in any Street Fighter game, that's all you do besides moving your "fighting" stick around.

HilbillyRokstar

Yeah, and at those specific moments , what do you do to the button? I didn't say anything about random button mashing. But it is all repetitive and timing based mashing of buttons.

okay so were playing dumb word games now. By that definition all games are button mashers and all are repetitive so what are you getting at?

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="Gen007"]

Gen007

okay so were playing dumb word games now. By that definition all games are button mashers and all are repetitive so what are you getting at?

Wrong, with something like FPS games, you are required to move and target enemies at the same time. Not to mention the complexities that come along with changes in game-play due to environmental differences and tactical cooperation with team-mates. So no, all games aren't just "button mashers", as in the case of Battlefield where no two matches play out the same and environments can change dramatically during the course of a match. That's just one example, you want me to move to 3d platformers next?

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gen007

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"] Yeah, and at those specific moments , what do you do to the button? I didn't say anything about random button mashing. But it is all repetitive and timing based mashing of buttons.HilbillyRokstar

Wrong, with something like FPS games, you are required to move and target enemies at the same time. Not to mention the complexities that come along with changes in game-play due to environmental differences and tactical cooperation with team-mates. So no, all games aren't just "button mashers", as in the case of Battlefield where no two matches play out the same and environments can change dramatically during the course of a match. That's just one example, you want me to move to 3d platformers next?

well by button mashing im 99.9% sure you knew what we meant by you have decided to play the literal card and seem to think we meant literally slamming down of the buttons which we didnt. Going by your statement all games are button mashers. In say BF when i get to at any specific time i get to a wall i can "mash" A to hop the wall. Any game that requires you to press buttons at specific times are buttons mashers according to you. Also by very nature all games are repetitive so your still not making a good point.

The funny thing is fighting games contain all of that stuff you just mentioned. There are environmental factors in all fighting games weather it be something like multi tiered stages in DOA or getting proper spacing for combos and not getting caught against the wall in SF. There's generally much more strategy going on in fighting games too and much more personal being that its usually 1 on 1. It's a much better test of who's the better player. There's also team cooperation in tag games and any fighting game when doing team play. I can very easily say the no two fights are the same and you do constantly see new things in fighting games.

You dont have to like the genre and i understand that but to try and lower it because you dont like it is uncalled for imo.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

Gen007

well by button mashing im 99.9% sure you knew what we meant by you have decided to play the literal card and seem to think we meant literally slamming down of the buttons which we didnt. Going by your statement all games are button mashers. In say BF when i get to at any specific time i get to a wall i can "mash" A to hop the wall. Any game that requires you to press buttons at specific times are buttons mashers according to you. Also by very nature all games are repetitive so your still not making a good point.

The funny thing is fighting games contain all of that stuff you just mentioned. There are environmental factors in all fighting games weather it be something like multi tiered stages in DOA or getting proper spacing for combos and not getting caught against the wall in SF. There's generally much more strategy going on in fighting games too and much more personal being that its usually 1 on 1. It's a much better test of who's the better player. There's also team cooperation in tag games and any fighting game when doing team play. I can very easily say the no two fights are the same and you do constantly see new things in fighting games.

You dont have to like the genre and i understand that but to try and lower it because you dont like it is uncalled for imo.

Don't take things so personally man. I never said I didn't like fighting games, and I merely stated my opinion which I, like you, am entitled to.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gen007

Never did take anything personally. im just saying that your statements are making sense or at least not to me i guess. Also no you never did say that you didnt like fighting games but one can only infer from what you have said that you aren't exactly fond of them.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HilbillyRokstar

Never did take anything personally. im just saying that your statements are making sense or at least not to me i guess. Also no you never did say that you didnt like fighting games but one can only infer from what you have said that you aren't exactly fond of them.

Gen007

I like them fine. I rent them often. It's the built in redundancy that keeps me from buying them. And I am pretty sure that's why they represent such a diminishing portion of the market.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gen007

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

HilbillyRokstar

I like them fine. I rent them often. It's the built in redundancy that keeps me from buying them. And I am pretty sure that's why they represent such a diminishing portion of the market.

hmm kay so my question is does shooting people in FPS games ever get redundant to you? Im just saying that all games have that built in redundancy that you speak of. In BF your just gonna be shooting people and locking on to stuff to shoot down all day. Like i said before it just isnt for some people and i get that. People just show affinity's for different things. I personally think that its the complexity and difficulty that usually drives most people away. For some people the game never evolves and they never win so the move on. I rarely hear straight up say that they dont like fighting games.

Fighting games have had quite a resurgence as of late too and actually sell quite well these days. Not COD or BF well but well enough for the genre to thrive and get more games.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

Gen007

hmm kay so my question is does shooting people in FPS games ever get redundant to you? Im just saying that all games have that built in redundancy that you speak of. In BF your just gonna be shooting people and locking on to stuff to shoot down all day. Like i said before it just isnt for some people and i get that. People just show affinity's for different things. I personally think that its the complexity and difficulty that usually drives most people away. For some people the game never evolves and they never win so the move on. I rarely hear straight up say that they dont like fighting games.

Fighting games have had quite a resurgence as of late too and actually sell quite well these days. Not COD or BF well but well enough for the genre to thrive and get more games.

When they come out with a co-operative team based fighter with destructible environments, then we can talk. Otherwise there is no comparison.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gen007

well DOA had tag matches and the stages were very destructible plus they had stage transitions and they weren't just for looks either as you take much more damage when knocked up against stuff. It's been done before and there are actually more on the way like SFxT which will have tag fighting and so will Tekken tag tournament 2. There are fighting games out there with a team aspects.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HilbillyRokstar
I'm looking for something like a big 24 player 3d street fight w/interactive weapons and destructible environments. That would be awesome.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I think fighting games are something that not every gamer can get into. Unless you're in it for the competitiveness, you might as well not bother. Fighting game people take that stuff really seriously.

My favorite fighting game is Super Smash Bros., and technically that's not a traditional sort of fighting game. I think that game is much more fun than games like Street Fighter, and gives the player more control and options in fights than a static 2D fighter. You have an environment to run around in, you can use the environment to your advantage, you can have more than 2 people on the screen at a time, and you don't feel like you're 'stuck' to the ground and can only move forward and backward.

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HilbillyRokstar

I think fighting games are something that not every gamer can get into. Unless you're in it for the competitiveness, you might as well not bother. Fighting game people take that stuff really seriously.

My favorite fighting game is Super Smash Bros., and technically that's not a traditional sort of fighting game. I think that game is much more fun than games like Street Fighter, and gives the player more control and options in fights than a static 2D fighter. You have an environment to run around in, you can use the environment to your advantage, you can have more than 2 people on the screen at a time, and you don't feel like you're 'stuck' to the ground and can only move forward and backward.

Ovirew
Yea, I enjoyed that game a lot. Kinda forgot about it since this is a 360 forum.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gen007

I'm looking for something like a big 24 player 3d street fight w/interactive weapons and destructible environments. That would be awesome.HilbillyRokstar

lol that actually sounds quite interesting. Sounds almost like what a current day streets of rage would be like. well no more questions from me, ill leave you be now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]I'm looking for something like a big 24 player 3d street fight w/interactive weapons and destructible environments. That would be awesome.Gen007

lol that actually sounds quite interesting. Sounds almost like what a current day streets of rage would be like. well no more questions from me, ill leave you be now.

River City Ransom - Online. XD
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

i can say the exact same thing about shooters......especialy cod

Signifiedsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Signifiedsix
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm not really into them, but there are a few that are really good! Take, Mortal Combat for instance. Its a great game! Also, Dead or Alive was a great fighting game. One of the best. I'm hoping they make a new one! Or are they making a new one? Haven't been doing any research on it. lol.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gen007

I'm not really into them, but there are a few that are really good! Take, Mortal Combat for instance. Its a great game! Also, Dead or Alive was a great fighting game. One of the best. I'm hoping they make a new one! Or are they making a new one? Haven't been doing any research on it. lol.Signifiedsix

Yes DOA5 is in development and you gotta spell combat with a k lol.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Fighting games are my favorite genre.. So much strategy and mind games involved... No other kind of games in my collection offer what fighting games do. But yeah, if you are bad at them they are boring button mashers, just like Starcraft 2 is a boring resource management game if your bad at it.
Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts
IMO, from a multiplayer perspective atleast, fighting games are the most rewarding of any game genre. Mainly because if you lose it's completely your fault and vice versa, if you win it wasn't because some other guy on your team got a bunch of kills. I also think fighting games rely more heavily on reflexes than any other genre.
PAPERWARIO89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PAPERWARIO89

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"] Yeah, and at those specific moments , what do you do to the button? I didn't say anything about random button mashing. But it is all repetitive and timing based mashing of buttons.HilbillyRokstar

FPS isnt a good example
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

PAPERWARIO89

FPS isnt a good example

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" Give a better one. I offered to continue with 3d platformers. Go ahead.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="Ovirew"]

HilbillyRokstar

Yea, I enjoyed that game a lot. Kinda forgot about it since this is a 360 forum.

smash bros is for kids?

yea whatever..

HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="Ovirew"]

KBFloYd

smash bros is for kids?

yea whatever..

Who said that?
Keving7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Keving7
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

Why like fighting games? Because every fight is different. Why do people like sports games? the same game played over and over? naw. I will admit, i SUCK at fighting games for whatever reason, but I have gotten into 2 specifically: Soul Calibur 2 for xbox and MvC3 (soon to be UMvC3). I love the characters in both those games. they are both very different game styles and every match is exciting! you never want to lose! The art style of MVC3 is amazing, the hyper combos are a dream to look at in HD. I lost every game i played (about 10) online so i only really played against computers, so i always think, well if i was better, i'd have ALOT more fun! :P That's my 2 cents!

wolfbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 wolfbm
Member since 2002 • 630 Posts
For some reason I really like MK and DOA but can't seem to get into MVC or SF. Honestly all my buddies loved Smash brothers but I hated the floaty controls and when you do a devastaing move and you" think ok now he's done" here they come bouncing from below and back onto the platform or come flying back onto the screen from the other side. To me that game was just frustrating (my opinion though). I think I like the destructable environments of DOA and MK and thats what makes me like them.
@Gen007 nice Trigun pic..I really liked that series
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

ANDERSON SILVA

hanakuza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hanakuza
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
It's always nice especially when you're winning against other real people. playing against the cpu though is kind of boring
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HilbillyRokstar

[QUOTE="PAPERWARIO89"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]Wrong, with something like FPS games, you are required to move and target enemies at the same time. Not to mention the complexities that come along with changes in game-play due to environmental differences and tactical cooperation with team-mates. So no, all games aren't just "button mashers", as in the case of Battlefield where no two matches play out the same and environments can change dramatically during the course of a match. That's just one example, you want me to move to 3d platformers next?

HilbillyRokstar

FPS isnt a good example

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem" Give a better one. I offered to continue with 3d platformers. Go ahead.

I'm still waiting.....
3dfd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#46 3dfd
Member since 2008 • 767 Posts

The only fighting game I play is SSBB. Reasons:

A. Campaign mode is more than a bunch of matches

B. There are soooooooooooo many options for items, players, assistants, and more

C. Each stage is extremely different in it's own way - it's not just a new background

D. There is a stage builder

I could think of hundreds more reasons. Personally I agree with you for games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Capcom vs. ____ games. But Smash Bros Brawl just isn't the same game as those.

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Drakebunny

The only fighting game I play is SSBB. Reasons:

A. Campaign mode is more than a bunch of matches

B. There are soooooooooooo many options for items, players, assistants, and more

C. Each stage is extremely different in it's own way - it's not just a new background

D. There is a stage builder

I could think of hundreds more reasons. Personally I agree with you for games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Capcom vs. ____ games. But Smash Bros Brawl just isn't the same game as those.

3dfd
It's not the same game because it's not really a fighting game. It's more like a beat-em-up or a brawler.