What's Microsoft's plan with the Xbox One?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Killua_Zoldyck
Member since 2015 • 59 Posts

Windows 10 is coming, but we still don't know what it'll do for the Xbox One outside of a new UI/UI overhaul (which hopefully speeds up the console).

Not only that, but it seems as if MS wants to put a focus on PCs getting Xbox One games. There's nothing wrong with it, but it makes me worried that the Xbox is going to eventually be phased out.

. If they want to catch up to Sony/be profitable (not that I'm saying that they HAVE to "beat" Sony), they should be investing in unique first party games outside of Halo/Gears/Fable/Forza.

I'm struggling to see what they're trying to do here. If Xbox is really being turned into a streaming box with the whole cross play thing, that's...I don't know.

I know that this thread seems premature considering E3 is rapidly approaching in a little over two weeks, but I'm a bit worried.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22368 Posts

I read an interview with Phil Spencer the other week, and one of the questions was the future plans for Xbox consoles... he said something like that it's part of their long term plan to be able to play games on TV with a dedicated console of some form. So I don't think Xbox as a console is going anywhere any time soon. But who knows.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Killua_Zoldyck

@hrt_rulz01: Yeah, I hope that MS keeps the Xbox around. We'll know in a little over two weeks, but it'd be good for them if they hit hard with a good E3.

PC games are okay, but they need diverse exclusives if they hope they build back the lost goodwill they had from the 360 days. That bad PR prior to the Xbox One's launch is likely still hurting them.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hrt_rulz01

@killua_zoldyck said:

@hrt_rulz01: Yeah, I hope that MS keeps the Xbox around. We'll know in a little over two weeks, but it'd be good for them if they hit hard with a good E3.

PC games are okay, but they need diverse exclusives if they hope they build back the lost goodwill they had from the 360 days. That bad PR prior to the Xbox One's launch is still likely hurting them.

Yeah it's definitely going to be a difficult road ahead for the rest of the generation... but under Spencer, I think they've at least created something that can challenge PS4.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Killua_Zoldyck

@hrt_rulz01: Well, the public/gaming community seems to want a strictly gaming console. I think that the sales between the PS4 and Xbox One shows this. Microsoft wanted to make a multimedia console, but that resulted in a weaker console that struggles to hit 1080p on several games.

Because MS didn't target graphics/performance, they're stuck with the weaker system for the rest of the gen. People know that the mainstream/big AAA games play best on the PS4, and not only that, there's a huge gap in sales between the two. People will buy what their friends have.

And again, for strictly gaming, the PS4 appears to be the "better" choice.

MS isn't doing bad by any means, but they've shot themselves in the foot. That being said, I love my Xbox One.

BusterFriendly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 BusterFriendly
Member since 2014 • 242 Posts

This is not the forum for console wars. Go away please.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01

@busterfriendly said:

This is not the forum for console wars. Go away please.

Huh? Who said anything about console wars? Just having a discussion.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Killua_Zoldyck

@hrt_rulz01: Yeah, I don't know how our discussion is related to console wars at all.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9  Edited By mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

I think consoles will be around for another generation, but your already playing on Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo's future platform and to me that's the direction all three would like to go.

Xbox Live, PSN, and Nintendo Network will be their future platforms. Its all about software and the cloud.

Wobblypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wobblypops
Member since 2015 • 56 Posts

@killua_zoldyck said:

@hrt_rulz01: Well, the public/gaming community seems to want a strictly gaming console. I think that the sales between the PS4 and Xbox One shows this. Microsoft wanted to make a multimedia console, but that resulted in a weaker console that struggles to hit 1080p on several games.

Because MS didn't target graphics/performance, they're stuck with the weaker system for the rest of the gen. People know that the mainstream/big AAA games play best on the PS4, and not only that, there's a huge gap in sales between the two. People will buy what their friends have.

MS isn't doing bad by any means, but they've shot themselves in the foot. That being said, I love my Xbox One.

I would argue that the XBO is the better gaming system because of better online and the coming Windows 10 integration. I really don't see the fuss about differences that are hardly noticeable. It didn't seem to matter last gen when the majority of multiplat games looked better on the 360 than the PS3. Just a silly argument.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hrt_rulz01

@wobblypops said:
@killua_zoldyck said:

I would argue that the XBO is the better gaming system because of better online and the coming Windows 10 integration. I really don't see the fuss about differences that are hardly noticeable. It didn't seem to matter last gen when the majority of multiplat games looked better on the 360 than the PS3. Just a silly argument.

Yeah for some reason people are making a big thing of it this gen...

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@wobblypops said:
@killua_zoldyck said:

You're kidding right?

Last generation the devs had an easier time working on the Xbox 360 and could get more out of the Xbox 360 than the PS3 and that's what made Microsoft succeed last generation.

It's the exact opposite now and Microsoft is failing.

So yes, that is the most important thing.

As for what Microsoft can do? I don't know if Windows 10 will be enough and it's been proven that first party games cannot carry a console. There's not much they can do because of the weaker hardware unless they start buying a lot of third party games but you would have to wonder is it better to invest that money into the PC side of things, get stronger in other areas and just call this generation a wash.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Killua_Zoldyck

@Jaysonguy: That applies to the Wii U (the remark about first party games). The Xbox One isn't dead like the U is.

Do you really think MS is in dire straits like that? They're doing fine.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

SW is that-a-way >>>>>>>> that is all.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Killua_Zoldyck

@SecretPolice: Why are you and the other dude saying that? Nobody is saying that one is better than the other. We're just having a discussion. I don't see what's wrong with what I said about MS/the Xbox One. I even said that I still enjoy it!

We're talking about the Xbox One on the Xbox board.

Fox_Frozen2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fox_Frozen2014
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I think its a good point to make at this time with the Windows 10 coming out about the future direction the xbox will take. This will be a gamble for Microsoft but one that could work if people are willing to trust the software is up to the task. The purpose of windows 10 is to synchronise all of the hardware that runs windows, giving a greater incentive for game makers to produce games for the Xbox platform and secondly it opens up a whole world of possibilities in the future for the Xbox.

I want to touch on the point of console wars....cos the world of gaming wouldnt be where it is today without it. We wouldn't have multi billion dollar corporations constantly improving, innovating, shelling out tons of money to game developers. If one console dies then the other one suffers as well, and gamers will be left with the same rehashing of stories and games year after year.

Preidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Preidon
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

@killua_zoldyck: Yeah sadly it will fail,PC MASTER RACE

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01

@preidon said:

@killua_zoldyck: Yeah sadly it will fail,PC MASTER RACE

Great contribution... bravo!

(End extreme sarcasm!)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@killua_zoldyck said:

@Jaysonguy: That applies to the Wii U (the remark about first party games). The Xbox One isn't dead like the U is.

Do you really think MS is in dire straits like that? They're doing fine.

They're not doing fine

They have done a complete turn around since the launch of the One with new people in key positions. Teams taking care of some games were put into new areas and others were just let go completely.

That's not doing fine.

Killua_Zoldyck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Killua_Zoldyck

@Jaysonguy: How exactly are they not doing fine?

Wobblypops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wobblypops
Member since 2015 • 56 Posts

@Jaysonguy said:
@wobblypops said:
@killua_zoldyck said:

You're kidding right?

Last generation the devs had an easier time working on the Xbox 360 and could get more out of the Xbox 360 than the PS3 and that's what made Microsoft succeed last generation.

It's the exact opposite now and Microsoft is failing.

So yes, that is the most important thing.

As for what Microsoft can do? I don't know if Windows 10 will be enough and it's been proven that first party games cannot carry a console. There's not much they can do because of the weaker hardware unless they start buying a lot of third party games but you would have to wonder is it better to invest that money into the PC side of things, get stronger in other areas and just call this generation a wash.

The only thing failing is your argument. Such an angry and irrational little cow. lol

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I feel this thread has run it's course and I will now lock it. This has turned into a System Wars thread where users are bashing/comparing the two consoles to each other and I can already see an argument going on. Let me remind you all that this board is NOT the right board to do this at, try System Wars or maybe even Games Discussion if you want to compare consoles and debate about which one is better. Locked.