What ever happened to the world of gaming...??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for IHitABeaverOnce
IHitABeaverOnce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IHitABeaverOnce
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Video games are dying.. There were even articles mentioning how bad game sales were doing.. This is not a good sign for the world of video games. But then again, I haven't played video games or even bought one in a while. With that being said, I look forward to making my return once Max Payne 3 comes out (: That's the only game I'm looking forward to... 2012 sure is a bad year for video games.. well at least for now.
zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

It's all a lie like global warming.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

It went to hell sooner than what we expected.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

2012 is a great year for gaming, what are you talking about??

Diablo 3, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, RE6, FarCry 3, Dragons dogma, Witcher 2, Hitman, max payne 3, bioshock infinite and more!

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
lol video games are not dying :D
jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts

Diablo 3, Darksiders 2, Borderlands 2, RE6, FarCry 3, Dragons dogma, Witcher 2, Hitman, max payne 3, bioshock infinite and more!

_TheJoker_
LOL every great game you mention is a sequel......wheres the originality ?? :D
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts
Its not going to stop
Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

The economy is down the drain so a lot of people just don't have to funds to drop $60 bucks on every game that interests them.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2292 Posts
I think to say, at this point in history, that video games are dying is like saying Hollywood is closed.
driftingsilvia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 driftingsilvia
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I would love to see that girl naked.

leathaltaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 leathaltaco
Member since 2011 • 222 Posts

_TheJoker_

don't forget halo 4

leathaltaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 leathaltaco
Member since 2011 • 222 Posts

i blame mw2 for killing the gaming industry

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
Video games are not dying. This time of year sales of games are usually slow and will get slower during summer and then pick up for the holidays.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
[QUOTE="_TheJoker_"]

jonleeprice

Most of those are sequels to games that debuted this gen. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that sequels are new to this gen or only got popular this gen.
pjbabbitt112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 pjbabbitt112

It's all a lie like global warming.

zaku101
lol nice. Well aside from global warming, I don't think games are dying. video game sales may be dropping, but those numbers mainly concern New games. I buy a few games a month, but they are used 90% of the time. The same usually applies to everyone else who buys games. most of the time we buy used. It's smarter and cheaper. Also, games today are very generic, its more of a "social media" kind of thing. People play the new games just to play them. I mean let's put it this way. the majority of people, whether they are willing to admit it or not, wouldn't put a game that came out 4 or 5 years ago, because it's not "cool." Also, like presidential elections, its not the quality or playability of a game that gets the buy, it's the over exposure of advertisement attacks and tons of media coverage that do it. Call of duty is a good example. I hate to say that. The series used to be so Dern good. heck I'm bored with all the newer games on my shelf, I have popped in call of duty 2 (NOT MW2) and I'm going to beat the single player again. that was truly a game set apart from the rest :/ rip Call of Duty.. RIP...
pjbabbitt112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pjbabbitt112

_TheJoker_
I'm not trying to hate or anything, but there is something that all except for dragons dogma have in common. They have all been done before. Nothing new, just more of the same. They are all sequels.. Here's the bad thing about sequels in todays video games. They are usually identical to the previous, but with slightly better graphics and a different story line.
jonleeprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jonleeprice
Member since 2011 • 1455 Posts
[QUOTE="jonleeprice"][QUOTE="_TheJoker_"]

Senor_Kami

Most of those are sequels to games that debuted this gen. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking that sequels are new to this gen or only got popular this gen.

I think you will find most of them debuted last gen or before that but that want my point, my point was he has listed sequels claiming its going to be a great year theres only so many remakes/sequels people can play before boredom sets in and they go and find proper hobby's and things to do......we need more original titles to make the gaming world flourish otherwise it WILL grow stagnant, hopefully next gen will bring something different :/
Avatar image for MaxPayneKillers
MaxPayneKillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MaxPayneKillers
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts
While it may be in the slump the industry is far from dying. As someone mentioned earlier the economy is down the drain and people just can't afford these outrageous prices which means that there's no longer room for mediocrity. These developers have to understand that it's down to brass tacks and it's either go big or go home. Look at Fallout: New Vegas for instance. Obsidian just couldn't make the cut and sales suffered and as a result they were forced to cut their staff by almost 85% (is I remember correctly) and now the future is looking pretty grim for Obsidian. The new South Park game will most likely never see the light of day, and unless someone picks up the pieces I suspect that they'll be closing up shoppe. Rumor has it that one of the console developers is being forced to bow out next generation and I have a feeling that it's Nintendo because of the lack of support for the Wii, and because the library is littered with complete garbage (matter of opinion). But to be honest it's not so much that there isn't room for mediocrity so much as there's no excuse. Developers have millions of dollars at their disposal and then we get something like Resident Evil Operation Racoon City... I mean what the hell is that? The cost of living is high enough and they think I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on their garbage? F*** that!
pjbabbitt112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pjbabbitt112
[QUOTE="MaxPayneKillers"]While it may be in the slump the industry is far from dying. As someone mentioned earlier the economy is down the drain and people just can't afford these outrageous prices which means that there's no longer room for mediocrity. These developers have to understand that it's down to brass tacks and it's either go big or go home. Look at Fallout: New Vegas for instance. Obsidian just couldn't make the cut and sales suffered and as a result they were forced to cut their staff by almost 85% (is I remember correctly) and now the future is looking pretty grim for Obsidian. The new South Park game will most likely never see the light of day, and unless someone picks up the pieces I suspect that they'll be closing up shoppe. Rumor has it that one of the console developers is being forced to bow out next generation and I have a feeling that it's Nintendo because of the lack of support for the Wii, and because the library is littered with complete garbage (matter of opinion). But to be honest it's not so much that there isn't room for mediocrity so much as there's no excuse. Developers have millions of dollars at their disposal and then we get something like Resident Evil Operation Racoon City... I mean what the hell is that? The cost of living is high enough and they think I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on their garbage? F*** that!

As far as sales I don't think that the wii had many problems up until the release of the 360 slim. Now every walmart and bestbuy you walk into there's usually a pile of wii consoles that are not selling. I think that a lot of people who purchased a wii who also own a ps3 or 360 find no use for it at this point.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

It's just the end of this console generation, developers are releasing safe games or not releasing any games until next gen where they will start releasing all their new IP's, big name sequals, and better games. Plus, just about anyone and everyone who wants a current gen console has one by now so of coarse console sales are slow.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"] LOL every great game you mention is a sequel......wheres the originality ?? :Djonleeprice

I think you will find most of them debuted last gen or before that but that want my point, my point was he has listed sequels claiming its going to be a great year theres only so many remakes/sequels people can play before boredom sets in and they go and find proper hobby's and things to do......we need more original titles to make the gaming world flourish otherwise it WILL grow stagnant, hopefully next gen will bring something different :/

I really don't mind them being sequels... but yeah innovation has died in gaming thanks to high development costs. That is why the wii has old gen tech, to lower development costs and allow publishers to create new games, instead of going for the assure million dollar seller (aka COD).

Whether it was successful or not, that's not important here so let's not get carried away :P

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts
videogames not duying but change
Panteiakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 Panteiakos
Member since 2008 • 184 Posts

Gaming won't die but there are many chances that it will change a lot in the near future. There will be only space for Call of duty mentallity games and casual ones along with some indie stuff. The golden rating 6 games sooner or later will become less and less except maybe for the movie tie-in games which is a whole another story. I don't like the future the way i see it to be honest

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
[QUOTE="jonleeprice"][QUOTE="Senor_Kami"][QUOTE="jonleeprice"] LOL every great game you mention is a sequel......wheres the originality ?? :D

There've been a whopping 0 Diablo games this gen. 1 Darksiders game, 1 RE game, 2 Witchers, etc. There were 3 Mario platformers in the NES days. People can handle more sequels than you think. I'll say again, there is nothing new about sequels. Gaming has always been this way. Pick your favorite gen. It was probably packed with sequels. You act like there are zero new IP coming out this generation/year, which is false, and you are carrying on like games getting sequels is a sign that something "happened to the world of gaming". I don't agree with that premise. This change took place like 30 years ago in the NES era.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The world ecomony is not doing well. Since Videogames are not really important in life. Since they are just entertainment. Videogame sales and console sales will be among the first expenses to be cut. So yep the world of gaming is not doing well. When the ecomony is stable and doing well. The world of videogames will grow again. But not for a long while.

If the world economy was healthy then the Xbox 720 and PS4 would already be out. instead the 7th generation is dragging on longer than normal.

llucczz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 llucczz
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I know what you mean man... when Cod4 was in its prime on xbox it was the funnest **** EVER!!!! I would say that World at War was the last true CoD.

jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

[QUOTE="_TheJoker_"]

jonleeprice

dragons dogma isn't a sequel...

this year has been a little slow for gaming... this summer is gonna be lame but it usually gives me time to hit the backlog. and how can you say gaming is dying?? there is more high quaility games out now than ever before.

Think of before xbox was out. if you wanted a hardcore game you played on PS2, or you got a gamecube. now we have multiple platforms with great exclusives for each one. someone is just biased.

what awesome game do you have in your mind that they aren't making to spite you??

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#28 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
[QUOTE="IHitABeaverOnce"]Video games are dying.. There were even articles mentioning how bad game sales were doing.. This is not a good sign for the world of video games. But then again, I haven't played video games or even bought one in a while. With that being said, I look forward to making my return once Max Payne 3 comes out (: That's the only game I'm looking forward to... 2012 sure is a bad year for video games.. well at least for now.

You haven't played video games or even bought one in a while.. well enough said. Maybe play some games and then come back and post a topic when you have some idea what your talking about. Some games coming out that are looking to be hugely popular: Diablo 3 Max Payne 3 Ghost Recon Boderlands 2 Darksiders 2 COD Black Ops 2 Resident Evil 6 God of War: Ascension Halo 4 Company of Heroes 2 Crysis 3 GTA:V Far Cry 3 Bioshock Infinate Yes these are all sequels, that doesn't mean they will be bad games. Most people enjoy sequels. Who doesn't love to see a story they really enjoyed continue on longer?