What do gamers talk about over the headsets?

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#1 aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

So I bought an Xbox One recently (I'm still waiting for it in the mail) and it's coming with a headset, the games Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Destiny to go with the console Black Flag and Destiny are the only games to have multiplayer according to my research and I'm getting an Xbox Live paid membership of course because I want multiplayer. If it was an MMO like WOW and I used a headset to coordinate a raid with a guild then I could see a logical reason to use a headset but otherwise what is there to talk about? I've never used a headset before so I'm curious.

What do gamers talk about over the headsets? Why should I use a headset?

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

Good question, I only use a head set when Im playing with my friends, and since we all have jobs and half of us have got kids now, it's rare we ever play together anymore, lol.

I havent used a headset in over 2 years now. Even when Im playing Battlefield, I dont bother using one.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

There´s no reason why you should use a headset unless you want to.

When I see my son play many times he plays certain games with a game mate ( you can´t be "friend" with somebody you have never met specially when in this case the other person lives 600 miles away or in other ocassions in another country ) they use headsets to coordinate their movements when playing certain games, a lot easier than sending messages.

I have never used a headset, I don´t have game mates and I really aren´t interested in talking with other people while playing.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#4 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

It depends, usually I use my headset to chat with friends whilst playing online. We discuss the game at hand (such as tactics, or comment on each others play, so if its a racing game, things like "good pass" or "closing in, can you hold on to your place?") or, we discuss general things like what we have been up to, work, sports, films, whatever really. Just like it would be talking to people over a break at work or friends via a phone call etc.

It is not required to enjoy the online play, but I tend to only play with friends online outside of Fifa (where I do a bit of seasons online). I tend to not talk to people I do not know via Xbox or any other games as I find you get some trolling going on and I just play games to have fun and try to win (but if I am not winning, it is not a huge deal as long as I am putting in the best I can).

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions or want any game suggestions etc, please do not hesitate to ask away. I hope you enjoy your new console when it arrives.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aretilda

Thanks maybe I'll try it and it might be fun to at least listen, I don't know if I'll ever have anything profound to say though lol. My Xbox One Assassin's Creed bundle is still on pre-order so I won't get it till the second week of November (thank you Amazon for free shipping lol).

PyreofKoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 112

User Lists: 4

#7 PyreofKoL
Member since 2005 • 6059 Posts

Mostly it's just communicating on where opposing players are hiding, if they're using a special weapons/abilities, etc. Every great once in a while it'll just be general shooting of the shit kind of stuff, though.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Anything and everything, the whole spectrum is online basically, some parts more than others. You'll sometimes get noise pollution, like someone talking too loud to a real-life person, but most of the time you just get people talking about the game. Once a match starts in some competitive online games, you might hear people calling out enemies and co-ordinating strategies and such.

In games like BF4 , playing with a strong squad who communicates is basically a huge game changer, helps you win a lot more and is just more immersive as an experience. There is definitely some online "etiquette" however, you may want to be on the lookout for those subtle hints from others(try not too talk too much and too loud, allow others to talk, make sure you are not breathing into your mic, etc.).

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By aretilda

@Alucard_Prime said:

Anything and everything, the whole spectrum is online basically, some parts more than others. You'll sometimes get noise pollution, like someone talking too loud to a real-life person, but most of the time you just get people talking about the game. Once a match starts in some competitive online games, you might hear people calling out enemies and co-ordinating strategies and such.

In games like BF4 , playing with a strong squad who communicates is basically a huge game changer, helps you win a lot more and is just more immersive as an experience. There is definitely some online "etiquette" however, you may want to be on the lookout for those subtle hints from others(try not too talk too much and too loud, allow others to talk, make sure you are not breathing into your mic, etc.).

Thanks for those tips I did not know that haha.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@aretilda said:

@Alucard_Prime said:

Thanks for those tips I did not know that haha.

No problem, I feel I should also mention that obviously, you can also run into jerks who may insult you and stuff, so make sure you know how to quickly mute someone. On Xbox One, if there is no quick in-game option to mute somebody, you can snap friends list, and then chose recent players list,. and from there mute....very handy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Headsets are actually pretty important in competitive online games, if you are working with a team. Of course, you can still play without headsets, usually I do, but your team can function a lot better if you are communicating and giving each other information while you're playing. I am certain that using headsets and playing competitive FPS games with a group of friends and acquaintances over LIVE can dramatically improve your success rate.

In FPS games, there tends to be a lot more going on from second-to-second than in a lot of other games. So having a headset to cooperate with someone is key.

In a typical FPS game, you would probably have someone let you know what their plan of attack is, and which weapons they are going for, as well as if they need backup whenever they are going to a certain spot. People who are REALLY into FPS games break everything down to a math, to the point where they are literally keeping track of approximately how many seconds they have left until certain weapons spawn again.

I remember from the times I played firefight mode in Halo 3 ODST, me and the strangers I was playing with worked out different plans each time we played. We ended up deciding to grab the really good weapons and dropped them into this corner of the map where they wouldn't vanish at the end of each wave, and we tried to stock up on energy weapons of any sort since they dealt better damage to the skull-enabled shielded enemies in later waves. You also had to try to conserve ammo in general as much as possible. But going for those achievements, that took a lot of cooperation. It might not have been possible without a mic, unless I was so good that I could get through all of the sets without dying much.

I was playing Dead Rising 3 one day, and a stranger randomly joined my game. I didn't have a headset, neither did the stranger. I was trying to work my way through the story and reach time-sensitive side-missions, but the stranger was busy building wild vehicles and going crazy. I was fortunate that I got the other player to enter a doorway with me, otherwise they would have hindered my progress rather than aided it.

Phaythos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Phaythos
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

We speak about all and nothing, just like in a pub :) Politics, tv series, other videogames and "Wonderful creatures :P"

CrimsonTriden7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CrimsonTriden7
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

I rarely use my headset when I game these days.

XxAK47xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By XxAK47xX
Member since 2005 • 5003 Posts

its not the same as the xbox and xbox 360( early ) days.

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

To be honest some of the best moments I ever expierenced were with friends online with our headset. From talking about games to laughing so hard you start to cry I find having a headset enhances the gaming expierence

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Each others moms.

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p: That is actual right on the money. ..

Btw I like the cows hair blowing in the wind

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Apart from the obvious answer (game strategy), my experience includes listening to people belch, sing, smack while eating, chew gum, play obnoxious music, blow smoke, curse when they're getting beat, call people cheaters, talk about other gamers behind their backs and give shitty dating advice.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Game strategy mostly is the default answer. I used to play COD with my clan, and we communicated in game through our headsets, though 90% of the time it was just to pass the time in lobbies or whatever. Don't remember what we talked about though..just random stuff.

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Each others moms.

This is what "arguments" boiled down to anyway. They always did.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 aretilda

@Bigboi500 said:

Apart from the obvious answer (game strategy), my experience includes listening to people belch, sing, smack while eating, chew gum, play obnoxious music, blow smoke, curse when they're getting beat, call people cheaters, talk about other gamers behind their backs and give shitty dating advice.

LMAO! Sounds like fun. My Xbox One Assassin's Creed bundle comes in 3 days! XD (I put it on rush shipping out of pure excitement)

effimote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 effimote
Member since 2014 • 60 Posts

it can make your games more funny , make it more lifelike in your roleplay.i bought one from kingsbuying,i think when playing games with the headests are more interesting .

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

The majority of the time, you don't even need to use a headset. The headset lost a lot of its glory because of particular games that don't force you to use any type of tactics....*cough...Call of Duty...cough* If you have friends, its good to have so you can talk to them. But like I said earlier. Most of the time no one talks about anything important. More importantly...the majority of the time they don't even talk about the game. Usually, its about someone's mother or girlfriend or some little kid is calling you a slur of new curse words he/she heard from their friend at school and want to try it to out to sound cool.

@aretilda said:

So I bought an Xbox One recently (I'm still waiting for it in the mail) and it's coming with a headset, the games Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Destiny to go with the console Black Flag and Destiny are the only games to have multiplayer according to my research and I'm getting an Xbox Live paid membership of course because I want multiplayer. If it was an MMO like WOW and I used a headset to coordinate a raid with a guild then I could see a logical reason to use a headset but otherwise what is there to talk about? I've never used a headset before so I'm curious.

What do gamers talk about over the headsets? Why should I use a headset?

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

when raiding in destiny, we talk about the game, strategy, guns etc.

On cod you will hear mostly kids trash talking, trying to rap and other idiotic things

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

The game, strategies, future games. Oh and how much you suck ass.

amillionhp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By amillionhp
Member since 2008 • 773 Posts

I think it can depend on what type of games you play, but a lot of straight up vulgar attitudes come out of fighting games. I remember listening to that over the mic a lot and thinking i missed the days of arcades, where people stepped up to a machine silently won or lost and went on their merry way. It seems people felt a lot less inclined to run their mouth when the other guy was standing in punching range.