What are your thoughts on Achievement Points in general?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whereismycouch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 whereismycouch
Member since 2005 • 266 Posts

I think that they drive me to play a game a bit more but I wouldn'tplay a crappy game to get them. Especially if they're really pointless, like in Guitar Hero 3.

rebeljj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 rebeljj
Member since 2004 • 242 Posts
I wont buy or rent a game just for achievements, but the games I own I try to get them all. I'm an achievement junkie, but I dont waste money on games or cheat to get them. And if its crazy hard to get them(GH3) I just get the ones I can and move on.
SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

Honestly I don't really care to much. They are fun to get though. (I will admit that ;))The only thing I hate, is when people say you are an achievement whore. I rent games to try them and see if I like them, and yes, that does bump up my GamerScore, but I don't play just for achievements.

*Edit* - Also, if I rent a game and don't like it, it doesn't matter if I have 0 gamerscore for that game I will send it back, not try to get points on it.

*Edit #2* :oops: - Unless, of course, if they start translating GamerScore to MS points! ;)

Avatar image for SH4D0W_ASSASSIN
SH4D0W_ASSASSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SH4D0W_ASSASSIN
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
makes games frustrating but they are somewhat addictive
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
I don't care for them at all. Sometimes I'll get an achievement and look to see what I did to unlock it, other than that it doesn't make a difference to me at all. I've had my 360 for about 2yrs and I think I have a gamerscore of around 500. Needless to say I'm a pretty casual gamer, especially with consoles. I definitely see the purpose of them, they give the players something to strive for.
Avatar image for johnnybadass666
johnnybadass666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 johnnybadass666
Member since 2004 • 498 Posts
It adds some nice replayability to games. but i wouldnt play anything i dont like just for the points
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

They're o.k. They make me try things I normally wouldn't care about, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get the extremely hard ones. The games just not fun if you're punching the wall trying to do something near impossible.

Also, the achievements that involve getting a set amount of something over time are just stupid (get 2000 kills on online matches, capture a flag 100 times, ect.)

dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts
If I life the game they add more incentive for me to do a little more then just what is required
Dorkisnorkis92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dorkisnorkis92
Member since 2005 • 251 Posts
They are ingenious.
Avatar image for EnigmaticBeauty
EnigmaticBeauty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EnigmaticBeauty
Member since 2007 • 1297 Posts
Pointless, I start a completely new Gamertag a year anyway, but achievements are a waste of time and ultimately ruin a game, especially it's online componant, you enter so many matches on Rainbox Six and you hear some prat say... "Let's use pistols to get the achievement, I'll get it first, you lot stand still" (They call that an achievement?) and it frustrates me, because I then have to leave the game and find another one.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dukebd699
Yes that's annoying but they don't ruin games people who care too much ruin them.
XxSTILL_BORNxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 XxSTILL_BORNxX
Member since 2007 • 5749 Posts
Well to me...its awesome since it creates some what of a challenge between you and your friends and makes me get back on my games that probably i wont go back for if there wasnt achievments ^_^ and it also feels good because it makes u feel you have acomplished something none has and people will brag about it for days and they will come and ask you for how to get this and that so yeah it feels good....it also makes the gamertag looks good:P but i will never boast or do it.....ill just take abit of my time and take the achievment with my skill and if i cant i wont waste my whole life on it:P ill just leave it.

Edit* : no,i never rent games for achievements i only buy games that i love and know To Much About It.:) [from reviews,trailers,gameplay vids.etc]
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Most of the achievements are too easy, and you don't really "achieve" anything. I personally won't rent or buy a game just for the achievements.
LRP85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LRP85
Member since 2007 • 3094 Posts
I like them. I don't really worry to much about them. Sometimes though I will go bach and try for other ones to get more replay value out of the game. I do hate when people just want you to boost though. I have had a group of people give me bad rep just because I wouldn't let them do what they wanted. I just wish more games gave you rewards for them like in Dead Rising. I also think that online ones are stupid as after a while when no one plays the game anymore you can't get them or if the game flops and no one likes it you can't get them either.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
i wont buy a game for achievement points, but if i do have a game already, i will go out of my way to try and get all 1000 (or as clost to)
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chaoscougar1

Most of the achievements are too easy, and you don't really "achieve" anything. I personally won't rent or buy a game just for the achievements.FPS_Gamer123

hahahaahahahahaha oh god, thats great, too easy aye? ever played guitar hero 3? how bout all veteran on cod 4? ridge racer? FEAR? dead rising?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-64b76bd048860

[QUOTE="FPS_Gamer123"]Most of the achievements are too easy, and you don't really "achieve" anything. I personally won't rent or buy a game just for the achievements.chaoscougar1

hahahaahahahahaha oh god, thats great, too easy aye? ever played guitar hero 3? how bout all veteran on cod 4? ridge racer? FEAR? dead rising?

All veteran on CoD4 yes, and I didn't say that all of the game achievements are easy, but most.

LRP85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LRP85

[QUOTE="FPS_Gamer123"]Most of the achievements are too easy, and you don't really "achieve" anything. I personally won't rent or buy a game just for the achievements.chaoscougar1

I think he is getting at the fact that you can play just about any game through once and end up with around 400 points[depending on difficulty] just for beating the game.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Some achievments are just down right rediculous, such as I believe GH3, where you have to play the developers in order to unlock it. What kind of **** is that?
guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts
I personally don't mind the achievements nor do i really care about them. I just wanna play the game and enjoy the game. Getting achievement points are seen as a bonus for me. But, I don't go all out to get points and get frustrated over some ludicrous achievements like the ones in GH3 or Blue Dragon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-64b76bd048860

Some achievments are just down right rediculous, such as I believe GH3, where you have to play the developers in order to unlock it. What kind of **** is that?Ghost_702

Yeah I know, like in G.R.A.W 1, there was this achievement where you had to be ranked no. 1.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

They're o.k. They make me try things I normally wouldn't care about, but I'm not going to go out of my way to get the extremely hard ones. The games just not fun if you're punching the wall trying to do something near impossible.

Also, the achievements that involve getting a set amount of something over time are just stupid (get 2000 kills on online matches, capture a flag 100 times, ect.)

cd_rom
nar the multiplayer ones based on kills or games won etc are good because when ur in a lobby looking at random players waiting a few mins to play it gives you a good idea what ur stacked up against. or if someone mouthing off pretending to be the boyo, then you could see them achievements were missing and tell them to shape up. when they stuff online where they are about what u do in the game and they can be rigged by people just boosting then thats bad achievements. like where u have to kill everyone in one life in lone wolf in halo then thats poor. but stuff like that just encourages people to keep playing and shows whos really boss. like number of wins or games played or number of kills, but stuff to do in game that you can do in a single match are counter productive when u get boosters playing and ur not one of them and u just want to play normal definetally has to be a balance though to keep them fun. something you can definetally do even if ur not the best player out there on the game. they shud also spread them out over difficulty levels like games like cod4 do. so u get ones for the easy levels but also extra ones for hardest mode of play. also they totally make collectables in a game and 100% completion in some games work where before if you never unlocked anything then you probally couldnt be bothered to get all 100 things ur meant to collect in some games. but they are definetally good things when they are used on the right things. they should be used for parts of the game that usually are option like higher difficulties or things u collect or parts of the game that arnt necessary to do to complete the game but the achievements mean alot of people would take the time to do them for the points
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Some achievments are just down right rediculous, such as I believe GH3, where you have to play the developers in order to unlock it. What kind of **** is that?FPS_Gamer123

Yeah I know, like in G.R.A.W 1, there was this achievement where you had to be ranked no. 1.

most people boosted for that one, the ones that are stupid are the ones that cant be boosted and are almost impossible/stupid to even try and do, ie playing dead rising for 14 hours straight

LRP85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LRP85
[QUOTE="FPS_Gamer123"]

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Some achievments are just down right rediculous, such as I believe GH3, where you have to play the developers in order to unlock it. What kind of **** is that?chaoscougar1

most people boosted for that one, the ones that are stupid are the ones that cant be boosted and are almost impossible/stupid to even try and do, ie playing dead rising for 14 hours straight

That one is not stupid to do as long as you keep your system well ventilated. I did the one that you had to keep it on for 10 hours and no problems. I am sure I could have gone for the extra 4 hours, but did not have the time.

Mikee3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mikee3
Member since 2003 • 440 Posts
they add some more replay value/ incentive to play. needless to say a high GS will earn you respect with your fellow xbox live friends.
amscheip1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 amscheip1
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts
i like them to tell you the truth. they dont subtract from the game, and they make you feel as though youve accomplished something that is a bit above and beyond.
LRP85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LRP85

they add some more replay value/ incentive to play. needless to say a high GS will earn you respect with your fellow xbox live friends.Mikee3

That is funny as I have been called a nerd, dork, geek just because I have a high gamerscore.

Bruce_McGivern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bruce_McGivern
Member since 2003 • 1667 Posts

Achievements are nice but I don't chase after them.

The only times I chase Achievements is when the game means a lot to me, like GTAIV, Crackdown, Mass Effect, CoD4ish.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="Mikee3"]they add some more replay value/ incentive to play. needless to say a high GS will earn you respect with your fellow xbox live friends.LRP85

That is funny as I have been called a nerd, dork, geek just because I have a high gamerscore.

if u get called that at 20,000...what are the people at 100,000+?

Ryo_Kensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 Ryo_Kensen
Member since 2005 • 3480 Posts
I find myself wanting to buy games for 360 just because of Achievements. It also gives me encouragement to play games to completion or on a higher difficulty.
LRP85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LRP85
[QUOTE="LRP85"]

[QUOTE="Mikee3"]they add some more replay value/ incentive to play. needless to say a high GS will earn you respect with your fellow xbox live friends.chaoscougar1

if u get called that at 20,000...what are the people at 100,000+?

Ya I know.

SportzGamer73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SportzGamer73
Member since 2006 • 83 Posts
I Feel people let achievement points define who they are when it comes to gameing.i think that some of the best gamers actually have lower gamer scores.but achievements can make gameing a little more fun by adding goals along with the game.but some games just make it a little to easy to earn them, like sports games...
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dukebd699

Some achievments are just down right rediculous, such as I believe GH3, where you have to play the developers in order to unlock it. What kind of **** is that?Ghost_702

Actually it is beat someone who has the achievement which at this point is 99% of the people who have played online.

diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

I suffered through 940 points of Cabela's Alaskan Adventures as detailed in my blog in my sig.

I am a total achievement whore, it just makes me sad that i cant get them using a kb/mouse for FPS's, otherwise id've gotten my CoD2 and 4 veteran acheivements ages ago.

diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

You think that's silly (which it's not, its one of the easier achievements out there) then try being WORLD CHAMPION on the scoreboard for Tiger Woods (i think it's 07, might be 06).

Not hard enough for ya? Now try doing it with the servers shut down. They closed them last september to make people play the newer Tiger Woods game.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

I'm indifferent on acheivements, I never go out of my way to get any, heck, I never even open up the menu that tells you how to get them, it's just not something I care about, when I'm out with my friends or talking to my gf, I'm not going to say "I have 10k xbl pointz, you all tha failz". Fact is, gaming is rarely discussed. So, you know, if they killed them off, I wouldn't care.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts

I think achievements adds some replay value to some games. For example, I doubt I would even have tried Mass Effect or COD4 on higher difficulty if there were no achievements. Since quite a few games do have a short playthrough, the achievements help make the game have higher replay value. I like the achievements because it does give you a goal to shoot for; it tests your skill with the game.

My only huge beef with achievement points are the ones that are just flat out stupid. Like in one of the NBA games; be online with 10,000 other people, GRAW being #1 on leaderboard, GH3 play with one of the developers. I don't really care for some online achievements either because online gameplay is so unpredictable. A good online achievement is Halo 3's MVP. A bad one is Turok's kill one player 5 times in a row. It totally offsets any strategy you may have and forces you to do things that are out of the ordinary. These are a few of the achievements that are not well thought out.

davor89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 davor89
Member since 2007 • 57 Posts

[QUOTE="Ghost_702"]Some achievments are just down right rediculous, such as I believe GH3, where you have to play the developers in order to unlock it. What kind of **** is that?FPS_Gamer123

Well you can atleast call that an achivment :) I myself mostly go for the achivments of the games I realy like, which in my eyes makes the games a little more interesting.