What about a Microsoft and Sony joint venture?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ronnet
Member since 2003 • 9637 Posts

Some of you might strongly dislike Sony but it's not as if they are making babies cry. Making consoles is an expensive business and as Sony now knows aswell, without a big marketshare it's not easy either. Neither Microsoft or Sony's latest console could be considered a huge success, not because they are bad products but because they are in each others way. Next generation gives all three console makers a new shot at the title but now that all three are famous we won't be seeing a huge winner like the PS2 any time soon.

So even though Microsoft and Sony don't really need each other, teaming up would be a win-win situation. Both of them would only have to make half the usual investment but in this case 1 + 1 = 3 as the combination would result into games like Halo and Killzone being exclusive to one console. Together they might even get PC/Console titles such as The Elder Scrolls to become exclusive. Their combined marketshare wouldn't be 50% like in this generation but much higher so it's a win-win situation for them and for us the gamer.

spazzx625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 spazzx625
Member since 2004 • 43433 Posts
I think competition is better for the consumer in the long run. If two major companies merged, they could become complacent with their products and diminish the quality of the overall product.
doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 30

#3 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
I kind of understand your point, but you and I know it wont happen, Sony and Microsoft both want the big slice of the cake for them
ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ronnet

I kind of understand your point, but you and I know it wont happen, Sony and Microsoft both want the big slice of the cake for themdoubalfa

And it'll cost ateast one of them their head, if not both of them as the PS2 and the Wii proved that most consumers don't stay to any specific brand. But ofcourse it's nothing more then wishful thinking, but I don't believe the overall quality woudl suffer from it. Especially now after being beaten by the Wii both companies should know better then that.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Yeah. They should Merge.
EliasAndri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 EliasAndri
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
As someone said above, it would ruin the competition and there wouldn't be as much efford poured into the games. Plus, Microsoft isn't only Xbox, and Sony isn't only Playstation, so merging would mean merging everything else.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

As someone said above, it would ruin the competition and there wouldn't be as much efford poured into the games. Plus, Microsoft isn't only Xbox, and Sony isn't only Playstation, so merging would mean merging everything else.EliasAndri

Well, they still have Nintendo to compete against. Remember, that wasn't even a 'traditional' console and it outsold both the Xbox and PS3. Sure it's not entirely the same thing because some gamers don't like the Wii at all, but hey. Competition is competition and it doesn't come bigger than Nintendo at the moment.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

I reckon it could be okay though. X-Station or Playbox. Hmm. They both sound sort've alright. The range of games would be huge. Plus if MS and Sony make this, then it would be pretty funny if a company like Sega came along and made a new console to compete against the others. Dreamcast 2. Whoa.

ronnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ronnet

As someone said above, it would ruin the competition and there wouldn't be as much efford poured into the games. Plus, Microsoft isn't only Xbox, and Sony isn't only Playstation, so merging would mean merging everything else.EliasAndri

Not merging, but a joint venture. It's not as if they won't do it out of principle, Sony made the Xperia with Windows while there were other options so it's not as if they hate MS so much they won't come near them. And it wouldnt ruin the quality, do you really thing Bungie and Konami suddenly don't care about making the best games they can. If this generation learned them anything then it's that you should always stay on your guard because going from the first placeto last place in a matter of years is possible.

STARXWOLF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 STARXWOLF
Member since 2009 • 758 Posts

Some of you might strongly dislike Sony but it's not as if they are making babies cry. Making consoles is an expensive business and as Sony now knows aswell, without a big marketshare it's not easy either. Neither Microsoft or Sony's latest console could be considered a huge success, not because they are bad products but because they are in each others way. Next generation gives all three console makers a new shot at the title but now that all three are famous we won't be seeing a huge winner like the PS2 any time soon.

So even though Microsoft and Sony don't really need each other, teaming up would be a win-win situation. Both of them would only have to make half the usual investment but in this case 1 + 1 = 3 as the combination would result into games like Halo and Killzone being exclusive to one console. Together they might even get PC/Console titles such as The Elder Scrolls to become exclusive. Their combined marketshare wouldn't be 50% like in this generation but much higher so it's a win-win situation for them and for us the gamer.

ronnet

wow i never really thought about this:shock:...its a good idea...but i dont think it'll ever happen.:(

STARXWOLF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 STARXWOLF
Member since 2009 • 758 Posts

dude post this thread in system wars too see what people say...

Staszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Staszy
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts
I think competition is better for the consumer in the long run. If two major companies merged, they could become complacent with their products and diminish the quality of the overall product.spazzx625
agreed