WARNING: do not use an intercooler on your 360

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soxfan2614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 soxfan2614
Member since 2006 • 517 Posts

i want to warn all of you not to use a intercooler on your 360. i was using a nyko intercooler and my power cord malfunction and basicaly burnt the intercooler and reuined the power cord. i called up microsoft and they said the intercooler voided my warentee. i am now going to have to go to a friends house and pray that the damage was only the power cord and that i'll have to only have to pay 80 dollars for a new cord... now my question for you is lets say the power cord is the problem and i geta new one. what doI do tokeep my 360 from constantly overheating? ino that if i do nothing it will just eventually die again butan intercooler will void my warentee.

Hermitkermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#2 Hermitkermit
Member since 2005 • 1880 Posts
Old news, but thanks for the warning....
bradly_2795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bradly_2795
Member since 2004 • 948 Posts

i use the intercooler fan on my 360 and have since launch and have had no problems so far

soxfan2614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 soxfan2614
Member since 2006 • 517 Posts
i really wish this was old news to me i had no clue
SunLord592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 SunLord592
Member since 2003 • 2651 Posts
I dont know if this is 100% true, but if you 360 is actually busted, something got busted because of the intercooler, i think Nyko will give you a refund, for the amount was spent by you adn such. i m not sure if this is true. i could be wrong. but it couldnt hurt to call up nyko and see were they stand.
HoovenWannabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoovenWannabe
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts
Looks like you got some bad luck.That sucks,I havent had a problem with my 360 overheating so I never worried about getting the inercooler.
jnino92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jnino92
Member since 2006 • 252 Posts
Call Nyko, they should have a warranty that says that if your 360 gets damaged due to use of their intercooler they will replace it...They did do this before to some others who that happened to, so try calling them...This has been a recurring problem with nyko intercoolers, personally i'm probably going to get the Pelican Air Flo 360.
litttlejohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 litttlejohn
Member since 2006 • 2247 Posts
just take the intercooler off, hell pry it off if you have too, call up ms again and just be like i dunno what happened i went to turn on the system and it just doesnt work now, the worrenty is good till november 2008at the least if you got the system early on so no big deal...... why would you ever admit to using a non ms product on it in the first place? nothing pays off better then playing dumb and pretending you practically took the system out of the box and it broke....
slipkoltem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 slipkoltem
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Hey the intercooler that you had was the EX? Just to know
penalsiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 penalsiren
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts
I keep my room really cold b/c thats the way I like it, and I have a ceiling fan on all the time, and ive never had a problem with overheating. But, I also dont play for really anymore than three hours at a time at the most.
litttlejohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 litttlejohn

I keep my room really cold b/c thats the way I like it, and I have a ceiling fan on all the time, and ive never had a problem with overheating. But, I also dont play for really anymore than three hours at a time at the most.penalsiren

yeah but thats not even saying you need that or a fan like the intercooler or else it will belly up, ive had my system stacked on my hddvd player (not the poor add on for the 360) and then covered the system will lots of games and movies, and ive left the system on for days at a time when the temp in my room lingered around 85 before, just becouse something bad can happen doesnt mean it will, but then again without that marketing ploy the intercooler probably wouldnt have been in stores.....

Tannerr33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12 Tannerr33
Member since 2004 • 896 Posts
Same thing happened to me.. was using the cooler and my power brick burnt out on me... when they asked me if i was using the cooler at the time I lied and said no and then sent me a new free power brick as well as a free 20g hdd.
joeamis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 joeamis
Member since 2003 • 3010 Posts
I've tried to tell people since I ever heard & saw the design of the intercoolers that you definitely should NOT use them. I have a launch model that works just fine still, used in hot temperature house. Putting an intercooler over the 360's own fans is a very bad idea. Think about placing 3 fans or even 2 fans over + on top of the 360's own fans, not a good idea. It not only covers up the system further from releasing the heat, but it also puts fans that may either force the 360's fans to move faster than they should or slower than they should. And most intercoolers force you to bypass the powercord through the cheap%$# intercooler.
wKmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wKmike
Member since 2003 • 4843 Posts
My friend used one, and said he got one red ring, but when he took it off, he said it was okay
penalsiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 penalsiren
yea, littlejohn, i wasnt really implying that i needed an intercooler. I was kina implying that a cooler room could help out to where you wouldnt have to use the intercooler, but then again it may not help at all. But, IMO and in a commen sense kinda way that might help, and there are definitely downfalls to keeping a room at a cool temp. like i do (electricity bills) LOL. On the other hand, I do have a friend on xbox live that keeps his system on almost all the time even when he isnt using it, he just leaves it on and i know that he doesnt have an intercooler b/c i asked him if he used one since he leaves his console on all the time and he hasnt had any problems with it.
penalsiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 penalsiren
sorry for the double post, but I have heard that when using that intercooler if the power cord isnt plugged in good, the 3 red lights will light up. So in some cases u may just simply have to plug the power cord in the back of the intercooler better.
Tda503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 Tda503
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts

i want to warn all of you not to use a intercooler on your 360. i was using a nyko intercooler and my power cord malfunction and basicaly burnt the intercooler and reuined the power cord. i called up microsoft and they said the intercooler voided my warentee. i am now going to have to go to a friends house and pray that the damage was only the power cord and that i'll have to only have to pay 80 dollars for a new cord... now my question for you is lets say the power cord is the problem and i geta new one. what doI do tokeep my 360 from constantly overheating? ino that if i do nothing it will just eventually die again butan intercooler will void my warentee.

soxfan2614

what about the other cooler(not sure about the name) but my friend has one, its made so the 360 sits vertically and then uses the USB spot on the back as its power instead of the power cord, and doesnt lock in at all, the 360 basically sits on the stand, not in a bad way though, its not like its going to fall over, its stable, i would recomend it, i think its 15 bucks? and if you say "what about the usb port?" well its a USB cord with a passthrough.

litttlejohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 litttlejohn

yea, littlejohn, i wasnt really implying that i needed an intercooler. I was kina implying that a cooler room could help out to where you wouldnt have to use the intercooler, but then again it may not help at all. But, IMO and in a commen sense kinda way that might help, and there are definitely downfalls to keeping a room at a cool temp. like i do (electricity bills) LOL. On the other hand, I do have a friend on xbox live that keeps his system on almost all the time even when he isnt using it, he just leaves it on and i know that he doesnt have an intercooler b/c i asked him if he used one since he leaves his console on all the time and he hasnt had any problems with it.penalsiren

haha no offence, i wasnt using your comment as directly talking to you as in individual but as to an example of the whole, yeah im sure all the steps you took do in fact lower the chance the system will in fact fail. But at the same time im pointing out that its imbedded now in everyones mind that if you dont take these steps weather it be making sure the room iscool or that you have other fans orfor some think that they must get some extra cooling agent like the intercooler and that if they dont take these measures steps something bad will inevitably happen. Thats the whole marketing for this product, " get this or something bad will happen" all im saying is that just becouse something can happen doesnt mean it will..... thats why i mentioned how i go against the norm and still am fine. Also the thing to remember guys is that at the very least your warrenty is good till november 08, so you have plenty of time left with the system before anyone has to worry about taking care of it....

jep78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jep78
Member since 2002 • 44 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your issue. I got an intercooler for Chirstmas last year, and I debated whether to use it or not. I checked the forums and read that indeed some people had problems with it. Unfortunately, I was pretty much forced to use it because my system would turn off constantly because of overheating. I would use it for long periods of time, so I decided to use it and I haven't had any problems with it since, although there will be times when I turn on the system, the fan makes a really loud noise and the system would give me an error message. I turn it off yhough and the problem is solved.
Tda503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#20 Tda503
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. I got an intercooler for Chirstmas last year, and I debated whether to use it or not. I checked the forums and read that indeed some people had problems with it. Unfortunately, I was pretty much forced to use it because my system would turn off constantly because of overheating. I would use it for long periods of time, so I decided to use it and I haven't had any problems with it since, although there will be times when I turn on the system, the fan makes a really loud noise and the system would give me an error message. I turn it off yhough and the problem is solved.jep78

ok, i know that peoples systems overheat, but how? i've had mine for 6+ months and i've never had mine overheat. unless you have it in an enclosed space or an enclosed cabinet then theres no point in getting a fan, even when i had mine in an entertainment center it never overheated, and it was sitting on top of the satlite box, so theres really no need in getting one.

liberator927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 liberator927
Member since 2007 • 84 Posts
It's not the cord, its the cooler. It uses to much power, it'll probablly melt your 360 if you keep using it.
Last_One_Left

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Last_One_Left
Member since 2007 • 263 Posts

that sucks bud, ive had mine for about six months and have had no problems also, hope everything turns out well for ya, whats life without video games:P

ChickenHawk07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ChickenHawk07
Member since 2006 • 486 Posts

i use the intercooler fan on my 360 and have since launch and have had no problems so far

bradly_2795

Ditto. I have since moved on to the Pelican Air Flow Cooler, because of the new features and add ons, with no issues.

Avatar image for HarryVanBreemen
HarryVanBreemen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 HarryVanBreemen
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts

Looks like you got some bad luck.That sucks,I havent had a problem with my 360 overheating so I never worried about getting the inercooler.HoovenWannabe

Same here =].

beavisisdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 beavisisdead
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts
You guys really have trouble spelling warranty,or was is worrante, or warrante
shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I can't believe people are still being ripped off by this Intercooler. Microsoft themselves came out and said they didn't approve of it because it will do more harm to your console than good & that its use would void your warranty.

If you are abosolutely paranoid about your console overheating and must do something, then just get a normal small fan and aim it toward the front of the console.

marolia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 marolia
Member since 2004 • 4030 Posts
I use an Intercooler and played it for hours and never had that problem.
fazio93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 160

#28 fazio93
Member since 2005 • 2940 Posts

bradly_2795

take it off unless u want a voided warranty and a vroken 360

the intercooler does nothin but force more air thorugh the consoel, which doesn't "cool" it.

Grende1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grende1
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts
Well, since MS publicly announced that the intercooler was bad for the console, I wouldn't use it, especially since it voids the warranty. Personally, I wouldn't worry any more about overheating. The 360 warranty is now 3 years. If it overheats and craps out, MS will pay for a new one. Let them worry about it. Just play games. Although still be smart about it, like not putting the 360 in an enclosed space or on the carpet or whatever. Other than that, who cares, MS is paying for it.
metabolic1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 metabolic1
Member since 2003 • 110 Posts

I had one on my Premium and it fried my HDD and gave me an E36 error (low voltage), once I took the cooler off and the HDD off the console was fine.

I have a friend who works in the Gamestation store I returned the console to and he did say that the Intercooler would be the main cause of the problem.

I exchanged my Premium console for an Elite and now refuse to use the Intercooler due to the damage it has done (I still have my achievements but have lost all of the saved games!).

My advise is to return/sell/exchange the item!