VGA vs Component.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts
I have a 27" samsung HDTV with native 720p resolution. my TV has a VGA port. should I get the VGA cable and use it over the component cables?
q8hr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 q8hr
Member since 2004 • 5354 Posts
You wont notice a difference at all. Just stay with the HDTV Component
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
only thing i've noticed is that component is a lot darker and some detail isn't as washed out. they are both good imo. so just stick with what you're using now
rtalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rtalo
Member since 2003 • 38 Posts
It depends.  I was facing the same dilemma when I got my HDTV.  I suggest that if you are using your 360 for gaming only, then stick with the component cables.  If you are using it also as a dvd player, I say use VGA as it upconverts the resolution on regular dvds.  Hope that helps. Also if you were wondering, at least on my TV, I found that the VGA cable provided a sharper image but the colors weren't as vibrant as component.  But all that is easily fixed with messing around with your TV's picture settings. 
tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

Component can handle 720P no problem, the only advantage of going to VGA will be upscaled standard DVDs.  Component will only upscale to 480P because of rights issues will VGA will upscale to 720P.

I didnt like the VGA "look" personally color seemed washed out to me.

xyoojguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xyoojguy
Member since 2003 • 1102 Posts

Lolz I actually have both!!... I don't know if you'll see the same results as mine but here it is..

Component-

Much more Deeper colors and higher contrast than VGA. The colors makes the textures jump out at you a little bit, well at least more than on VGA. In other words color red, really look red and not dark orange like VGA.

VGA

VGA has much less contrast and less deeper color which create a more gray-tone mix into the colors ..VGA look a bit more shaper and the refresh rate seem to be a little bit better too.

This was all tested on the same HDTV running at 1080..

If you ask me there is really no huge difference but I normally use the VGA because it is a bit shaper and the refresh rate is a little bit faster when there is alot of action happening on screen.. And about the colors I usually play around with my HDTV color menu to match the colors to my taste..

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#7 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
I doubt the difference will be huge, but VGA is def the better choice. So if you don't mind spending a little money for the cable, I say do it. Just DO it!