VGA Cable resolution help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 pRiVaTeRyAn92
Member since 2006 • 1003 Posts

My TV supports up to 1366x768. The 1360x768 option for the VGA cable leaves a black bar on the right of the screen, which I can fix with the stretch option. However, the 1920x1080 option fits perfectly to the screen. My question: Which resolution would be the best out of the two? I've already tried HDMI on my TV and the VGA just destroys it in sharpness and picture quality, so that's not an option. BTW, my TV is a Vizio VX32L.

pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pRiVaTeRyAn92

bump

pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pRiVaTeRyAn92

bump

ohjtbehaaave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 ohjtbehaaave
Member since 2002 • 2114 Posts
Not really sure. I'd try going into your TV's 'Menu' under 'Video' and searching to see what kind of settings it allows for your TV. Maybe there's a way to set it to VGA or maybe there's an 'Auto' setting where it detects the best settings for you. Since this is kind of a technical problem your trying to troubleshoot for your TV... you might want to try asking it in Google's search engine. I'm sure somebody else has run into this problem before. Good luck.
pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 pRiVaTeRyAn92

Well, my TV is in RGB mode already, which is what I use for my PC VGA cable. I've tried Google many times to no avail. Thanks for your opinion though.

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 BaconB1ts123
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

Hm. It is a tricky question. BTW I bought my mom a 42" Visio - great tv for the price!

I had similar problems with VGA. There are so many variables it is hard to say unless you find someone with the same tv. I had to go through the different resolutions and then try the different settings on the tv (never tried with the Visio because I gave it away.) I can only suggest to try the res setting close to the tv specs and then try the various stretch/zoom. I found the ones closer to 1080 worked the best. The idea being you want to get as close to fitting so that the stretch is only small.

I find it hard to beleive the HDMI does not give as good a picture. I just got a new xbox with hdmi so I have switched. I would not say it is better but definately not worse. There are alot of setting to fiddle with on HDMI, both on the tv and on the xbox. The diffent HDMI setting on the xbox make a big difference so you might want to play with those a bit. Then the whole VGA thing will not be a problem.

pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pRiVaTeRyAn92

Yeah, I was baffled as well when the HDMI wasn't as good. I adjusted sharpness, color temps, color space, reference levels, etc but it never looked as good. The VGA setting looks like someone is painting everything on the screen and it's so sharp and clear. One issue with the HDMI is (it's hard to explain) that there are noticible "extra lines" around letters and such, like a smearing effect but not really. Setting the sharpness level higher fixes it for the most part, but the extra lines are replaced with a white border; obviously too high of a sharpness setting. So I should definately go with the resolution that doesn't require me to fix it with the autoadjust. Alright, thanks for the help!

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BaconB1ts123

Yeah, I was baffled as well when the HDMI wasn't as good. I adjusted sharpness, color temps, color space, reference levels, etc but it never looked as good. The VGA setting looks like someone is painting everything on the screen and it's so sharp and clear. One issue with the HDMI is (it's hard to explain) that there are noticible "extra lines" around letters and such, like a smearing effect but not really. Setting the sharpness level higher fixes it for the most part, but the extra lines are replaced with a white border; obviously too high of a sharpness setting. So I should definately go with the resolution that doesn't require me to fix it with the autoadjust. Alright, thanks for the help!

pRiVaTeRyAn92

I would be a bit concerned why you cant get a good pic with the HDMI. On a technical point the HDMI IS a better choice (although not noticeable on smaller tvs). I would be inclined to say something is wrong with your tv, xbox , or settings. My brother inlaw has the Visio 1080p version and uses HDMI and it looks great.

My last xbox had that same kind of thing but with the VGA - all the words had a bit of a shadow like a double exposure. Just a bit but once you notice it it bugs you. Good luck. I wouldn't mind hearing about what settings you finally used in case I take my xbox to my mom's place sometime.

pRiVaTeRyAn92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pRiVaTeRyAn92

Well, I just gave the HDMI another go, on both ports. I used an HD-DVD calibration disc for brightness and such, as well as sharpness, but it still looks noticeably worse than VGA. I'm using 1920x1080 with the VGA cable and it looks AWESOME.

RawShnizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 RawShnizz
Member since 2009 • 126 Posts
I had a question about the VGA cable as well. i was thinking about buying a monitor like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9183297&type=product&id=1218049005548 to play my Xbox on (obviously). I don't know much about the specs though, so I want help to know if it's worth it.
Vance_009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vance_009
Member since 2004 • 2005 Posts

wow thats not a bad idea for full HD for a cheap price.

BaconB1ts123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BaconB1ts123

I had a question about the VGA cable as well. i was thinking about buying a monitor like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9183297&type=product&id=1218049005548 to play my Xbox on (obviously). I don't know much about the specs though, so I want help to know if it's worth it.RawShnizz
I am currently on course and got the Acer P244W.

$299 Canadian. I love it. it is 1080p and has a mere 2ms response time. Also an Acer. 24inches so a bit bigger than the one you point out. I went for the 1080 so that it matches the xbox settings without bars at all. But since it is twice that one it might be out of your range (but it is a good price for a 24inch)

luke182777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 luke182777
Member since 2005 • 3070 Posts
[QUOTE="RawShnizz"]I had a question about the VGA cable as well. i was thinking about buying a monitor like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9183297&type=product&id=1218049005548 to play my Xbox on (obviously). I don't know much about the specs though, so I want help to know if it's worth it.

yep. definitely worth it as long as you have a sound system. if not, you'll be playing your games with a great picture... just silently. haha. and yeah. if your tv supports 1920x1080, by all means use it. you may notice some screen tearing/ lag with the more active scenes, but in my mind it is worth it.
dwarfwasonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dwarfwasonfire
Member since 2005 • 377 Posts

My TV supports up to 1366x768. The 1360x768 option for the VGA cable leaves a black bar on the right of the screen, which I can fix with the stretch option. However, the 1920x1080 option fits perfectly to the screen. My question: Which resolution would be the best out of the two? I've already tried HDMI on my TV and the VGA just destroys it in sharpness and picture quality, so that's not an option. BTW, my TV is a Vizio VX32L.

pRiVaTeRyAn92

I have the same tv and I use VGA as well and have it set up to 1360x768 with widescreen format and expanded reference level. The picture, like you said is very crisp and the colors are vivid. I have a PS3 hooked up via hdmi and have noticed that when it comes to picture quality it is dissapointing compared to the 360 hooked up via vga. I don't know if it's the tv, but I've noticed it on other tvs as well. This has lead me to only buy exclusives for the ps3 because of the lackluster picture.

RawShnizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RawShnizz

[QUOTE="RawShnizz"]I had a question about the VGA cable as well. i was thinking about buying a monitor like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9183297&type=product&id=1218049005548 to play my Xbox on (obviously). I don't know much about the specs though, so I want help to know if it's worth it.BaconB1ts123

I am currently on course and got the Acer P244W.

$299 Canadian. I love it. it is 1080p and has a mere 2ms response time. Also an Acer. 24inches so a bit bigger than the one you point out. I went for the 1080 so that it matches the xbox settings without bars at all. But since it is twice that one it might be out of your range (but it is a good price for a 24inch)

Honestly, I don't mind the size much as long it's a widescreen. I've been playing GTAIV on a non-widescreen monitor and the graphics look like a watercolor painting :? And I do have some speakers which I play with, though only the right one works for some reason. It's good enough for the time being though :P
RawShnizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RawShnizz

This is the monitor I'm playing with:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/179-1979959-9374231?asin=B000F75YRM&afid=yahoossplp&CPNG=electronics=&lnm=B000F75YRM|"LG_Electronics_Flatron_17"_LCD_Display_Black"&ref=tgt_adv_XSMG1060

Sorry about not being able to link. I'm getting some weird glitches