Upcoming Avatar game: Action RPG

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 nick0091
Member since 2004 • 640 Posts

Hey there, I'm not sure how many Xbox gamers ever pay attention to the Indie games section, but we're creating an upcoming Action RPG that will let you use your Avatars.

There are a few screenies onour site: http://www.barkerscrest.com/

For those who might know the company,we created Avatar Golf. (Similar to Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf, but using your Avatars and you can create your own courses and play online.)

If you're interested in this game at all you can follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/barkerscrest

I can't answer any questions about the game at this time, but we'll be releasing new info every week, right now this is all the released info:

-Action RPG

-Use your Avatar

-Day/Night cycle

I ensure you that list will get much, much bigger, and we have only just scratched the surface of features.

Thanks for reading.

Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

that looks intresting

Heartagram_03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Heartagram_03
Member since 2005 • 3697 Posts

That's an interesting idea. Good luck on the development cycle if you are indeed part of it.

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nick0091

Thanks for the support/interest.

I am indeed a part of the development. (Not the head guy, but I do some animation, level design, some sound, and other things that I can't mention or it would give away parts of the game.)

Dredg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Dredg11
Member since 2008 • 1266 Posts

Hooray for shameless plugs...

GFugue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GFugue
Member since 2009 • 935 Posts

Huge fan of indie games, but I don't like the whole "use your Avatar in a game" buisness, so I'm not getting that game. I usually don't pay 400 MSP for an Indie game, unless it's exceptional -- but most 3D (not drawn) Indie, and even some Arcade, games don't look very good -- like the Arkanoid series, that Carneyvale and that Treasure Hunter game (and the only 400 MSP one was Carneyvale).

Good luck with it, though. I've thought of making some indie games with my brother a while ago, but we didn't bother going through the hassle.

cain19822004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cain19822004
Member since 2005 • 1382 Posts

Good luck to you, I'm following you on Twitter, I hope to hear a steady stream of news. :)

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
[QUOTE="nick0091"]

Hey there, I'm not sure how many Xbox gamers ever pay attention to the Indie games section, but we're creating an upcoming Action RPG that will let you use your Avatars.

There are a few screenies onour site: http://www.barkerscrest.com/

For those who might know the company,we created Avatar Golf. (Similar to Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf, but using your Avatars and you can create your own courses and play online.)

If you're interested in this game at all you can follow us at twitter: http://twitter.com/barkerscrest

I can't answer any questions about the game at this time, but we'll be releasing new info every week, right now this is all the released info:

-Action RPG

-Use your Avatar

-Day/Night cycle

I ensure you that list will get much, much bigger, and we have only just scratched the surface of features.

Thanks for reading.

400 ms points is too much for a indie game....try 180 ms points instead....more people will download it that way
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#9 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

so you wounder around in a park and stare at the moon in the grave yard at night? sounds real interesting

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nick0091

Huge fan of indie games, but I don't like the whole "use your Avatar in a game" buisness, so I'm not getting that game. I usually don't pay 400 MSP for an Indie game, unless it's exceptional -- but most 3D (not drawn) Indie, and even some Arcade, games don't look very good -- like the Arkanoid series, that Carneyvale and that Treasure Hunter game (and the only 400 MSP one was Carneyvale).

Good luck with it, though. I've thought of making some indie games with my brother a while ago, but we didn't bother going through the hassle.

GFugue

I know what you mean with "use your Avatar in games." The problem is though, most Avatar games do SUCK. (Then again so do most Indie games.) Avatar Golf did very well at 400 msp, and we believe it was a fair price based on the work and quality of the game. (Full 3D golf game, course editor, 8 players online, etc.)

I believe price should be based around the quality of the game and not based on the attitude. ("I won't pay over 80 msp points for an Indie game.") For example I'll spend $20 for a PC indie game if it's good, I'll spend $60 for a AAA game when it's new, and price is just based on quality. I find a good quality Indie game is like finding a bargain, because some are fantastic value. I personally love the old school NESlooking RPG "Breath of Death VII" That game was $1 and may have been one of the best RPG's I ever played. (I have no connection to this company just for the record.) The problem with the pricing of Indie games is most 400 msp is too high formost games. (At least in my opinion.) Of course the same could be said for most 80 msp games are too high based on the quality. ;)

Yes this was a plug, and I'm not ashamed to say it. We don't really have an advertising budget so I thought I'd just make a random post on game spot. (Other games get talked about, so why not.)

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Looks like a really cool game. As long as there is lots to do I might give it a go.
cain19822004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 cain19822004
Member since 2005 • 1382 Posts

so you wounder around in a park and stare at the moon in the grave yard at night? sounds real interesting

k2theswiss

Yeah, because one very early screen shot shows you EVERY single thing you can do in the game! [/sarcasm]

Blackhawk692

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 Blackhawk692
Member since 2005 • 1306 Posts

looks alright, but the others are right, it just wont sell well at anything over 320, we can get a low quality arcade game, or a good arcade game on sale for that much. Avatar Golf might have sold alright, but probably most people who bought it did the same thing I did, impulse bought it when it was on sale last year.

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nick0091

More screenies are up:

http://www.barkerscrest.com/

These ones are basically showing interaction with Avatars.

Thanks for all the interest and responses guys and gals.

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nick0091

Since the night screenies we've actually tweaked the lighting a bit and will continue to do so throughout development.

Edit: Oh and the screenies don't always do justice in games. Lighting is easier on the eyes with movement when compared with a still frame. I've noticed this in other games as well in night screenies.

nick0091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nick0091

Another week of screenies are up: http://www.barkerscrest.com/

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Color me interested. Can you offer any new details? Online co op? # of players? Weapons/magic systems?
videogame97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 videogame97
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

I've always had a love for indie games, so I'll be sure to watch this one for sure. So far, it looks pretty good, from at least the screens I've seen. I think the avatar being inculded is a great addition. Good luck on the development, that coming from a guy who's done it.