Two Years Later And I've Finally Finished Bioshock... So Bioshock 2? WTF? O_o

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OspreyDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OspreyDawn
Member since 2008 • 283 Posts

When I first played Bioshock, I was an immiture, shallow gamer. I admit that, but that was two years ago. I dismissed Bioshock and all it's glory maybe because I didn't fully understand it or didn't fully appreacite its depth and beauty.

Now it's 2009, and I've finished it, bought it and playing though it again. And what a game it is. I thouroughly enjoyed it and I have reviewed it here.

So what the hell is up with Bioshock 2? No Ken Levine? Revisiting Rapture even though Jack liberated it or enslaved it? Playing as a Big Daddy? WTF? This makes no sense, Bioshock's story never left room for a sequel, this seems like 2K's way of trying to make a quick buck and potentially ruin the franchise.

It looks too much of the same, so it looks like it will be relying on the story as it's selling point and that's what most journalists have put it down to. That's where the problem is, how can there be anything left to tell about Rapture? We've listened to all the diaries, we know how Rapture works, what else could be left to know that had a major outcome on the city as a whole?

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, it's more disbelief than anything else.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
Jack may have took the Little Sisters, but 1 couldnt stay away from Rapture. It was her home, so she began kidnapping little girls from the East Coast and turned them into Little Sisters. She became the Big Sister, and looks out for them. You play as the first Big Daddy.
OspreyDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 OspreyDawn
Jack may have took the Little Sisters, but 1 couldnt stay away from Rapture. It was her home, so she began kidnapping little girls from the East Coast and turned them into Little Sisters. She became the Big Sister, and looks out for them. You play as the first Big Daddy. Morning_Revival
It stil seems really tacked on to me if you know what I mean though.
Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
On 1 hand, I agree because it does seem like a quick cash grab but on the other hand, it definately sounds like an intended sequel.
Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

Playing a Bioshock game as a Big Daddy feels like playing a Silent Hill game as Pyramid Head...you decide if that's good or bad.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
It does leave space for a sequel if you choose to harvest the little sisters. However, this is not a a sequel but a prequel (we'll be playing as the first Big Daddy, therefore it must take place before the first one).
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

It does leave space for a sequel if you choose to harvest the little sisters. However, this is not a a sequel but a prequel (we'll be playing as the first Big Daddy, therefore it must take place before the first one).ForsakenWicked

wrong, you play as the first big daddy ever made but it will be a sequal. just because you play as the first ever big daddy doesnt mean you'll be the only big daddy, in bioshock 1 you only got to explore a small part of rapture, there where prolly thousands of big daddy's that you never encountered.

Ambli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ambli
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

Even in the evil ending, Rapture looked like a pretty big place, I don't think he could have brought every splicer up with him.

The little sister left, but if you've been following the sequal, you would have known she's been kidnapping girls age 5-7 around the world.

But that leads to my question, if you had the evil ending in Bioshock, shouldn't the world be in flames or some crap?

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

Even in the evil ending, Rapture looked like a pretty big place, I don't think he could have brought every splicer up with him.

The little sister left, but if you've been following the sequal, you would have known she's been kidnapping girls age 5-7 around the world.

But that leads to my question, if you had the evil ending in Bioshock, shouldn't the world be in flames or some crap?

Ambli

if you got the evil ending 1 of 2 things should be goin on, either 1. the main character from bioshock 1 should be the final boss or 2. the entire world should be going to hell and bioshock 2 should be set on mainland (since it said you took over rapture but didnt stop there)

OspreyDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 OspreyDawn
I just don't think Bioshock 1 was the kind of game where a sequel was neccessary. It could have ended and remained with the integrity it developed when it was released. I think it should have been left alone as something to look back at when reminicing about awesome games. I think the whole point having the huge amount of mystery (in terms of the size of the city) was for it to left to the player to decide what happens.
armyman455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 armyman455
Member since 2008 • 914 Posts

see what people dont understand is how big rapture truly is, we only say a very small percentage in #1 and i kinda doubt he rescued ALL of them seeing how the city is pretty freakin big. this makes for a perfect "sequel" see its a sequel only because it takes place in the same city and there are alot of the same game elements but in terms of story its it's own game entirely

OspreyDawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OspreyDawn

see what people dont understand is how big rapture truly is, we only say a very small percentage in #1 and i kinda doubt he rescued ALL of them seeing how the city is pretty freakin big. this makes for a perfect "sequel" see its a sequel only because it takes place in the same city and there are alot of the same game elements but in terms of story its it's own game entirely

armyman455
I guess the main thing that concerns me is that, Bioshock 2 has a lot to live up to,and from what I've seen so far isn't going to live up to what came before it. Instead of using the wealth of knowlede we know about Rapture's past for an excellent prequel, they're making a sequel to try and expand a story that's already been told and tire it out. It just seems cheap to me, taking the easy route for a bit of quick cash. Which is fine... from a business perspective.
SEANSEXYUNDIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 SEANSEXYUNDIES
Member since 2008 • 1489 Posts

see i truley think that this was a good idea

i love bioshock and the new concept sounds amazing.I can't wait for it to come out

brian6751

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 brian6751
Member since 2003 • 2993 Posts
how about a SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!???
mugenad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mugenad
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts

Playing a Bioshock game as a Big Daddy feels like playing a Silent Hill game as Pyramid Head...you decide if that's good or bad.

ChrisSpartan117

i hear that and think its bad i dont wanna play as the most BAMF char. in the game, i wanna feel like am trying to stay alive. i loved bioshock and i will be getting bioshock 2 but i just hope it doesnt sound as bad as it does right now.

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed the first game. I too really enjoyed it. I'm skeptical about the sequel too. Though, I do think there is room for sequels. I just don't really care for playing as a big daddy. But, it might turn out good. I hope 2K Boston delivers!