Two Questions, please answer!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shadow_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Shadow_Hokage
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts
Im just about to get my 360. But now im starting to get freaked out by people on this forum, who say that they are on 2nd and 3rd Xboxs. Question, how high is chance of breakdown, and second question, how long is warranty and how much does it cost/ is it free to send for repairs?
cmrdek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cmrdek
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Dude, don't worry about it. There are almost eleven million people who have bought 360s and only a fraction have had problems. All I know is all my friends and I have had no problems with ours.
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

1. Buy the extra warrenty

2. buy the extra warrenty

3. buy the extra warrenty

4. get xbox live

5. enjoy the peace of mind of the extra warrenty

Extra warrenty's depend on the place you bought i recommend Circuit City an it's around 50-75$ for 2 years and worth it. IF you live near brandsmart buy it there the warrenty is cheaper

XL70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 XL70
Member since 2004 • 1196 Posts
I have a launch console and have had no problems. You just have to be aware that people with problems will gravitate to the forums - no one starts threads with "OMG!! MY XBOX 360 IS STILL WORKING!!!" or "No problems with my Xbox 360!".
Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#5 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts
Don't even worry bout it, i have 3 xbox 360s yes no lie 3 of them, 1 comes from the first few minutes of the opening of the Xbox 360 and not a problem, to be honest with you its all in the ways you treat your Xbox 360, just make sure you dust it off on irregular basis and never leave it on for really long periods unless its conditioned with a fan, then you will have no problem!
Henbob25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Henbob25
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts
I got mine in March 2006 and it's still going strong.
brownthrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#7 brownthrilla
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts
Im just about to get my 360. But now im starting to get freaked out by people on this forum, who say that they are on 2nd and 3rd Xboxs. Question, how high is chance of breakdown, and second question, how long is warranty and how much does it cost/ is it free to send for repairs? Shadow_Hokage
Don't worry about it. Only a fraction of 360's are prone to having problems. Keep it well ventilated, clean(no dirt or dust build up), don't do anything dumb like keeping it on for 2days straight. The reason why it seems everybody's breaks down is because just about everyone that's is on their 3rd or 4th console likes to express the fact they are, and the people who are on their 1st 360 that runs well, never say anything. Think about it, people say they are on their 2nd+ 360 but people don't say they are on their 1st 360. Again, only a fraction of 360's are prone to hardware failure. The warranty is 90 days with the stroe you buy it from, and 1 year from microsoft. So, if it breaks within a year microsoft will repair it for free. When you get a repaired system back, you have 90 days with Microsoft. On your first 360, you can buy extended warrantys from the store you buy it from(walmart, etc.). However the warranty would be with the store not Microsoft which is good, because Microsoft just sends you refurbished systems. You can also buy warrantys from Microsoft too. Well, this hopefully answers all your questions.
Fire_of_Contee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Fire_of_Contee
Member since 2004 • 248 Posts

Broken Console percentage 4.9% (as of now)

Microsoft's factory waranty: 90 days free, 2 years for $60

Shadow_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shadow_Hokage
Alright, thats calming. Question is, i am buying from lesser known brand name store, (even I cant remmember at moment), and wondering wether to get mircosoft warranty, or store warranty. Someone said mircosoft just send you a refurbished, (if i got that correctly), and certainly dont want that, or is just if you dont want to wait for repair? If you guys dont answer these ill still be grateful, for earlier consolation.
DoBo123459

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DoBo123459
Member since 2003 • 40 Posts
If that store warrany is cheap and sounds good then get both, always good to be on the safe side.  And get an intercooler for your 360, it will definetely help.  They are cheap and work perfectly.  I was first in line on the launch of the 360 and mine still works perfectly.  I even leave it on for long amounts of time alot and still no problems.  Just leave it with an inch or 2 breathing room around everything and get the intercooler and you will have no problems overheating
CassiusVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 CassiusVII
Member since 2006 • 1658 Posts

1. Buy the extra warrenty

2. buy the extra warrenty

3. buy the extra warrenty

4. get xbox live

5. enjoy the peace of mind of the extra warrenty

Extra warrenty's depend on the place you bought i recommend Circuit City an it's around 50-75$ for 2 years and worth it. IF you live near brandsmart buy it there the warrenty is cheaper

lge777

YEAH! i agreee.... except the fact that warranty is spelt with an a 

brownthrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 brownthrilla
Alright, thats calming. Question is, i am buying from lesser known brand name store, (even I cant remmember at moment), and wondering wether to get mircosoft warranty, or store warranty. Someone said mircosoft just send you a refurbished, (if i got that correctly), and certainly dont want that, or is just if you dont want to wait for repair? If you guys dont answer these ill still be grateful, for earlier consolation. Shadow_Hokage
BUy it from well known company. If it's because of price you're getting from somewhere else, it is only worth it if you're getting a the 360 for $30+ off. Also, I wouldn't trust buying a 360 used.
Shadow_Hokage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shadow_Hokage
Well, reason im buying from store is 90 days to finish paying for it. Also, what do you mean by intercooler? Are you referring to the cooling pads used on laptops? they make those for 360s?
gamekingpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 gamekingpin
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

Alright, thats calming. Question is, i am buying from lesser known brand name store, (even I cant remmember at moment), and wondering wether to get mircosoft warranty, or store warranty. Someone said mircosoft just send you a refurbished, (if i got that correctly), and certainly dont want that, or is just if you dont want to wait for repair? If you guys dont answer these ill still be grateful, for earlier consolation. Shadow_Hokage

I would be best to buy you warranty from Microsoft because they are cheaper.  They send out a replacemnt system to get it back to you faster and at first they were referbished  but I dont think they do that anymore.  Honestly I would just get the warranty from Microsoft because they will always do what they can to resolve any issues.  All you have to do is call 1-8004myxbox.  I have been dealing with them because my first system did go out on me but I think it was because I put an intercooler on the back of it (stay away from those things) If you want to help to keep your console cool purchase a small fan to place near it to keep it ventalated. Also the system will let you know if it is overheating because you will get two red lights on the left side if the ring of light.

CassiusVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 CassiusVII
Member since 2006 • 1658 Posts

Well, reason im buying from store is 90 days to finish paying for it. Also, what do you mean by intercooler? Are you referring to the cooling pads used on laptops? they make those for 360s?Shadow_Hokage

DO NOT BUY AN INTERCOOLER!!!!!!!!! WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!! 

DoBo123459

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DoBo123459
Member since 2003 • 40 Posts
It is a nyko intercooler.  It is a box with three fans that sticks on the back of your 360 and plugs into the 360 power port and the power cable plugs into it.  Its small and 20 dollars I think and a very good thing to have to keep from overheating.
brownthrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 brownthrilla

[QUOTE="Shadow_Hokage"]Well, reason im buying from store is 90 days to finish paying for it. Also, what do you mean by intercooler? Are you referring to the cooling pads used on laptops? they make those for 360s?CassiusVII

DO NOT BUY AN INTERCOOLER!!!!!!!!! WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!! 

Yeh there's a lot of debate with the intercooler. It voids your warranty with Microsoft, because it's considered "tampering with 360 hardware". Also, the Intercooler slowly ruins the 360. Just buy a regular fan and put it next to the 360. Just din't put it facing the back, because that's where the 360 is trying to pull out the hot air from inside the 360.
marcus4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 marcus4hire
Member since 2003 • 2684 Posts

I haven't had any problems with my 360 and it is going on a little over a year with regular use. Like some other posters said, just clean it often and don't leave it on if you are not using. Sure, I have had a few boot errors but nothing major.

Somebody having one broken 360 is one thing but I have always been suspicious of people who say they are on their 3rd or 4th one. That is a statistical longshot when you consider how the vast majority run fine. But then again, what do I know??

As for warranties and payment terms, etc. The big electroncs stores usually have 90 day no interest deals and some regularly have six month or even one year no interest specials. I bought a Best Buy extended warranty but it sounds like Circuit City's was better. I like the store warranties because if soemthing were to happen I can just box it up, take it back, and be playing again in a matter of an hour or so. No sitting around biting my nails waiting for it to be shipped back.