The Official USB Thumb Drive Info Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

****Any Mods out there feel like making this a sticky for say a week or so until we get everyone on the same page? Pretty please?******

Here's all the info you need to know about the USB drive support straight from Microsoft

The most recent update to Xbox LIVE® enables support for USB flash drives to expand the memory of your Xbox 360 console. Now you can experience all that Xbox LIVE has to offer, from HD movies to downloadable game content. Take your game saves, Xbox LIVE gamer profiles, or Arcade game downloads with you. Buy a pre-configured Xbox 360 branded SanDisk USB flash drive to ensure the most seamless experience and optimal performance.*

The pre-configured Xbox 360 8GB USB Flash Drive by SanDisk comes with a one-month LIVE Gold membership. Just plug it in to experience all that Xbox LIVE has to offer and take your game saves and Gamertag with you wherever you go. Pre-order now for May availability (availability varies by region).

Due to variability in USB flash drives, device compatibility and performance will vary. To discuss device experiences with others, go to our Xbox 360 USB Storage forum on xbox.com.

Help and Support

Setting up your USB storage device

• How do I configure my USB storage device?
    Using a compatible flash drive over 1 GB, you can reserve a maximum of 16 GB for profiles, game saves, and downloadable content. To use USB storage, you'll need to configure it first. Plug it in and go to System Settings, Memory, then select your device to start setting it up. More info …
  • Where can I buy USB storage devices that work on my Xbox 360?
    For a seamless and optimal experience, we would recommend you purchase the pre-configured Xbox 360 branded SanDisk USB Flash Drive, which will be available for sale soon.
  • What if I don't want to erase all the data on my USB storage device, what are my options?
    Use the Customize option to choose the amount of space you would like to use on your device. Choosing this option will retain all of your existing content.

Slow performance

• I'm getting a "Performance Warning" message, what does that mean?
    If your device doesn't meet Xbox 360 performance recommendations, you may experience significant performance problems playing games from the device or saving games and profiles to it. Buy an Xbox 360-branded USB Flash Drive to ensure optimal performance. More info …

Device compatibility

• I'm getting a "Can't Configure" message, what does that mean?
    Your device cannot be used with the USB storage device due to data loss and performance issues. The data loss test checks for speed and integrity of the memory on your specific device. If there are any issues, it will fail the text. More info …
  • This USB storage device works just fine on my PC, but why doesn't it work on my Xbox 360?
    If the USB storage device does not work at all, then there was a problem accessing the device (for example, it is faulty or write-protected) or it failed the Xbox 360 integrity check. If the USB storage device is configured, but a performance warning is displayed, it's due to the Xbox 360 requiring a higher level of sustained performance than most PC uses.

Frequently asked questions

• Why does Xbox 360 only support 16GB of storage, even though I have a much larger device?
    Supporting USB storage devices up to 16GB in size is a huge increase in storage over any solid state memory storage solutions currently available for Xbox 360. Users that need more storage have options in the Xbox 360 hard drives, which are available for purchase separately.
  • Why do I only see 1.5GB available on my USB storage device, but my device is 2GB in size?
    The Xbox 360 reserves 512MB of storage for system use.
  • What other storage options do I have?
    The Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive, available separately, is the best option for media enthusiasts. You'll have plenty of space for games, HD TV and movies, Games on Demand, game demos and add-ons, music, and much more.

*Performance of non-Xbox 360 branded USB Flash Drives will vary based on quality, speed, and performance of the specific drive. Some may not provide a recommended level of performance. The system will recognize up to 16GB of available space on a connected device, even if the drive is larger in size.

HERE IS THE PAGE WITH ALL THIS INFO

For the people who don't have XBOXLive

Here you go, copy and paste this in then you can run the update yourself on the console, Gamespot wont let me link it but you guys got it covered

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d7b1a7d8-846b-4ff4-8810-25356ec2c2aa&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MicrosoftDownloadCenter+%28Microsoft+Download+Center%29#tm

Paynee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Paynee
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts

This is very helpful, thanks!

Rosscoe06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Rosscoe06
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts

Question if i use an external hdd will i be ablle to get 32gb out of it of only 16gb this is my 3rd time asking and i havent had a reply yet plz help.

thanks in advance

RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts

Question if i use an external hdd will i be ablle to get 32gb out of it of only 16gb this is my 3rd time asking and i havent had a reply yet plz help.

thanks in advance

Rosscoe06
Only 16gb. I have a 320gb and am only allowed to use 16gb.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy

[QUOTE="Rosscoe06"]

thanks in advance

RoslindaleOne

Only 16gb. I have a 320gb and am only allowed to use 16gb.

Oh look at that, see this is why asking over at Microsoft for things like this are a great idea

Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dave_442
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I am having a bit of a storage disaster.

Recently my original 360 got the RROD so I went out and bought a new Xbox 360 Elite. Having heard that a title update to allow USB support would be released in the near future I didnt bother ordering a transfer kit and began playing new games on the Xbox 360 Elite with the new 120 gb hard drive.

Today I went out and bought a 4 gb USB flash drive, configured it for use without any problem and moved my profile to the USB drive. I powered off the 360 and replaced the 120 gb hard drive with my old 20 gb hard drive. I planned on logging in and copying all my old game saves onto the USB and then subsequently onto the new 120 gb hard drive so all my saves would be on the one hard drive.

However, when I try to log into my account with the old 20 gb hard drive I get an error "Your xbox live membership information isn't valid. Please use a profile that contains a valid memership or recover your profile from xbox live." As such I cant copy any of my old saves onto the USB drive. I can still log into my profile with the 120 gb hard drive connected though.

If anyone has any ideas how I can get this to work it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

**EDIT:

Tried again a couple of hours later and it worked a charm.Don't know what the problem was earlier.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jaysonguy

I think you'd be best served asking Microsoft directly through that link up there just to be sure how to fix it the best way possible

dissembled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dissembled
Member since 2003 • 357 Posts

Has anyone ever used the USB for game installations? If so, how does it fare? I only have an old 128MB USB drive that's incompatible with it so I currently can't see for myself.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jaysonguy

Has anyone ever used the USB for game installations? If so, how does it fare? I only have an old 128MB USB drive that's incompatible with it so I currently can't see for myself.

dissembled

I download the Blur demo to it and run it directly from the USB and not single hiccup

I think I spent about an hour and a half last night and plan to do the same tonight and not one single problem.

Avatar image for DamianAlexander
DamianAlexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DamianAlexander
Member since 2008 • 3762 Posts

Oh Jayson... You and your useful threads. Two thumbs up.

king_of_metal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 king_of_metal
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts

dissembled

I used a 8GB Sandisk flash drive and installed Tales of Vesperia to it. It ran fine. Not as fast as the HDD, but faster than the DVD drive. The only problem was that it took close to 45 minutes to install.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I'm using a XHD to install Mass Effect 2 to it... Not taking that long... 33% in about 5 minutes. However when I configured the XHD my 360 said the XHD did not meet the recommendation level or something like that... So we will see how it runs installed.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MethodManFTW
Ok, played Mass Effect 2 for about an hour installed on my XHD that did not meet the 360 requirements... Played the Kasumi loyalty mission and the Jack recruit mission... Both played flawlessly... the textures didn't look to great, but I think that is just ME2 normally.
chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts

Can u use this to ps3 ? :O

jansrudtho
No, but keep an eye on the news if they ever decided to do something similar :)
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

My USB said it met the requirements, I removed it and customized it again the next day to give me a little more space out of the 8GB, now it tells me it doesn't meet performance.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MethodManFTW

My USB said it met the requirements, I removed it and customized it again the next day to give me a little more space out of the 8GB, now it tells me it doesn't meet performance.

Legolas_Katarn
It says mine doesnt meet the requirments, but I've installed ME2 on the XHD and it plays just fine off of it... I think they just put that stuff on there to make gullible gamers buy the 360 edition flash drive.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jaysonguy

Legolas_Katarn

Format it and try again?

Maybe the smaller size didn't include a bad sector and by making it larger it showed up?

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#21 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]

MethodManFTW
It says mine doesnt meet the requirments, but I've installed ME2 on the XHD and it plays just fine off of it... I think they just put that stuff on there to make gullible gamers buy the 360 edition flash drive.

I just played the ME 2 DLC off of the USB, worked with no problems.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I love and hate what this allows you to do. It will be very easy for people to hack achievements which blows for people who care about their score vs others. On the other hand I freed up a good amount of space by copying all my unused save games and DLC, XBLA games to my USB HDD... although I wasn't really hurting for space, the fact that I can do it is nice. More important, you can fix a lot of stupid things that you don't like.... like not being able to change class or name in a New Game+ of Mass Effect 2 or making it so that you never have to do that stupid mining minigame EVER again and still have enough resources for upgrades.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy

I love and hate what this allows you to do. It will be very easy for people to hack achievements which blows for people who care about their score vs others. On the other hand I freed up a good amount of space by copying all my unused save games and DLC, XBLA games to my USB HDD... although I wasn't really hurting for space, the fact that I can do it is nice. More important, you can fix a lot of stupid things that you don't like.... like not being able to change class or name in a New Game+ of Mass Effect 2 or making it so that you never have to do that stupid mining minigame EVER again and still have enough resources for upgrades.Senor_Kami

It'll be harder to hack the USB, that's what was the problem with third party memory cards

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Senor_Kami

It'll be harder to hack the USB, that's what was the problem with third party memory cards

Jaysonguy
Microsoft's grand anti-hacking method is hidden folders... that shouldn't be harder to hack unless the old system didn't even hide the folders.
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Richymisiak
Member since 2007 • 2589 Posts
is there anywhere i can download his update and put it on a usb to install? i don't have live
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy

is there anywhere i can download his update and put it on a usb to install? i don't have liveRichymisiak

Oh man, it's like I pay you guys to show off my awesomeness

Oh Gamspot is being difficult because I said it's butt look fat in a dress it got last weekend while it was away with it's sister, the one that hates my job and says I should go back to school but then I have to drop my yoga class....

Anyhoo this is how we're going to fix this

Copy and paste this link I'm going to show

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=d7b1a7d8-846b-4ff4-8810-25356ec2c2aa&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MicrosoftDownloadCenter+%28Microsoft+Download+Center%29#tm

I can't link it because Gamespot thinks I'm doing something bad

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Richymisiak

[QUOTE="Richymisiak"]is there anywhere i can download his update and put it on a usb to install? i don't have liveJaysonguy

Oh man, it's like I pay you guys to show off my awesomeness

Oh Gamspot is being difficult because I said it's butt look fat in a dress it got last weekend while it was away with it's sister, the one that hates my job and says I should go back to school but then I have to drop my yoga class....

Anyhoo this is how we're going to fix this

Copy and paste this link I'm going to show

I can't link it because Gamespot thinks I'm doing something bad

thanks a lot :) i find it nearly impossible to navigate Microsoft's site looking for these updates -.- +1 cookie
Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Richymisiak

FOR PEOPLE TRYING TO UPDATE OFFLINE

download the folder

unzip

transfer folder to usb pen/ cd

RENAME FOLDER FROM $SystemUpdate_9199 to $SystemUpdate

REMEMBER THIS STEP OTHERWISE IT WON'T WORK!

frankmcma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 frankmcma
Member since 2004 • 184 Posts

So it seems like with the USB stick I can put my gamer tag profile, game saves and perhaps even a game or two on a stick and transfer between two xbox 360s? Had anyone done this? How does it work from your experience?

I have been waiting for a way to have all my info easily moved between separate consoles..wanted to see if this was it.

Thanks

Frank

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Richymisiak

So it seems like with the USB stick I can put my gamer tag profile, game saves and perhaps even a game or two on a stick and transfer between two xbox 360s? Had anyone done this? How does it work from your experience?

I have been waiting for a way to have all my info easily moved between separate consoles..wanted to see if this was it.

Thanks

Frank

frankmcma
i've transferred my profile and some game saves to my pen drive and it works so i assume transferring everything would work
jelloblimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jelloblimp
Member since 2005 • 260 Posts

[QUOTE="frankmcma"]

Thanks

Frank

Richymisiak

i've transferred my profile and some game saves to my pen drive and it works so i assume transferring everything would work

No, game-installations are specific to that console.

frankmcma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 frankmcma

What do you mean?

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Senor_Kami

What do you mean?

frankmcma
They only work on the console you install them to. Everything that the 360 stores gets a hardware ID specific to your console and a profile ID specific to your gamertag. Most things can work fine with one or the other (played under your gamertag or played on the console the saved data was made with) but game installs need both.
1white999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1white999
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
i have an 8Gb memory stick. When I formatted it for use with the xbox 360 I only had 2Gb remaining. Have I done something wrong or is my memory stick just not the right one. It is Lexar make.
frankmcma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 frankmcma

So I cannot install a game to the USB drive and move it from machine to machine? I thought that was one of the features? (I do realize you still need the disc)

The game install is secondary, it would be nice, what I really want to know is:

on 1 xbox I have a USB drive with my profile and dragon age (lets say) save file - I pop out the USB drive - move to a second xbox - pop it in and with the dragon age disc play it with my gamertag and save file (without having to recover my gamertag)

Wil this work?

Basically I want to carry around my profile and save files.

Richymisiak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Richymisiak

So I cannot install a game to the USB drive and move it from machine to machine? I thought that was one of the features? (I do realize you still need the disc)

The game install is secondary, it would be nice, what I really want to know is:

on 1 xbox I have a USB drive with my profile and dragon age (lets say) save file - I pop out the USB drive - move to a second xbox - pop it in and with the dragon age disc play it with my gamertag and save file (without having to recover my gamertag)

Wil this work?

Basically I want to carry around my profile and save files.

frankmcma

I've just tested transferring a gamer tag and save files to a usb and removing the hard drive, it works

i don't have any usb medium large enough to install a game on so i can't test that however for game saves and profiles it works

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts
Anyone know a drive that works that fits in the port on the back of the machine?
mxpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mxpower
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts

I have a 360 arcade. Will this work for playing older xbox games since i still don't have a hard drive. I'm using a 4gb drive that passed the perfomance checks. If I read correctly all the HD is used for is storing the files to play older games.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jaysonguy

I have a 360 arcade. Will this work for playing older xbox games since i still don't have a hard drive. I'm using a 4gb drive that passed the perfomance checks. If I read correctly all the HD is used for is storing the files to play older games.

mxpower

Yes it'll work

Just use the USB drive as an external drive

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Senor_Kami

mxpower

It might not. I've tried moving original xbox saves to an external HDD and the system won't let me. I think the 360 handles OG xbox stuff differently than 360 stuff. I'm in a good mood so I'm going to pop off my HDD, connect my USB drive and see if it still works.

Update: Didn't work when I tried it. Tried to play 2K5 and it told me I need a hard drive to play original xbox games.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

so if my friend put the map packs from mw2 on a flash drive, could i put them on my 360?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jaysonguy

so if my friend put the map packs from mw2 on a flash drive, could i put them on my 360?

laliberte11

No, that's stealing

This was not done so people could steal

jlevin860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jlevin860
Member since 2009 • 818 Posts

[QUOTE="laliberte11"]

Jaysonguy

No, that's stealing

This was not done so people could steal

well technically you can sill play them on your system... just under his profile ;)

Avatar image for hawaiiinsomniac
hawaiiinsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hawaiiinsomniac
Member since 2007 • 1257 Posts

Hey guys,

Not to sound like a turd, but after you set up your USB, you can just go to a friends house, plug it in and sign in? Without having to download your whole info?

Ha ha. sorry, busy finishing up the semester and haven't even touched my 360 in a month... :cry:

fib112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 fib112
Member since 2002 • 249 Posts

I can't seem to find the answer to this. Does the 360 support 16gb with 2 8gb flash drives or does it support 32gb with 2 16gb flash drives?

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#46 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
I'm wondering if we'll start to see any deals for non-explicitly "Xbox branded" flash drives that are at least fast enough to satisfy for performance? I would be interested in a 16GB flash drive (even though I have two 8's basically doing nothing here), if I could get it fairly cheap. The fact that no stores around me will ever seem to carry (much less keep in stock) the 250GB hard drive, it's worth looking into.
codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#47 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts

I can't seem to find the answer to this. Does the 360 support 16gb with 2 8gb flash drives or does it support 32gb with 2 16gb flash drives?

fib112
Well, if you saw Major Nelson's video on the update, you'll know an updated 360 will support up to two flash drives at a time; thus, it's possible to have two 16GB flash drives as a maximum.