The game could not start. Please download the game again.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c55a4908c81
deactivated-64c55a4908c81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-64c55a4908c81
Member since 2008 • 74 Posts

I bought the Halo Trilogy (Halo 1, 2, and 3) to play on my 360 today. I installed the November 2007 XBOX BC update (the latest one), but when I popped in Halo 1 or 2, the following message popped up:

"The game could not start. Please download the game again."

I tried reinstalling the update and everything, but that message won't stop popping up! Please help me fix the problem, and don't tell me I have to buy more stuff. I already spent hundreds of dollars on this system, and I need to take a break from buying.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

It sounds to me like your system is recognizing Halo 1 and 2 as a stand alone xbox original and they need to be backwards compatible, so I don't know what the next step is right now, if I found out i'll post it.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
Thats weird. I just recently got Fatal Frame 1 & 2 (both xbox originals) and the only thing I had to do was download the update and then I was able to play just fine. I'd suggest calling MS support to find out why you're getting that error message.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-64c55a4908c81

I just got done talking with XBOX Tech Support. They couldn't figure out what the problem was, and said that I should take Halo 1 & 2 back and get different copies, because it might be the discs.

I hope that's not true. I want to be able to play these games. Anyone else have suggestions?

orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#5 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
the OXM disks come with backwards capatability updates. try that ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-64c55a4908c81

Sorry, I don't have a subscription to OXM and probably won't get one, as I don't read magazines very often.

UPDATE:
I just tried my friend's copies of Halo 1 & 2 on my 360. They didn't work either.

EDIT:
I'm using a 20GB HDD, which might have been bought off of Ebay. I'm not sure. Should I get a store-bought HDD of any size instead?

temproaryuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 temproaryuser
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Your Hong Kong ebay HDD is missing the 2nd partition that keeps the backwards compatibility software. This is most likely because the hong kong seller gave you an uncertified, smaller hdd (15 gb instead of 20) and the extra 4 gb doesnt exist, they thought you'd never ever play an xbox game and so you'd not miss the extra 4gb. I blame microsoft for making the partition invisible, so that people expect their 20 gb hdd to only have 13.9 usable gb. This creates a market for scammers to use uncertified smaller drives without the extra partition thinking buyers will never notice the difference. I'd report the seller if I were you, or try to take action against them somehow, or they'll just keep doing it.
Cantheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Cantheron
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

This is totally true. I had bought a 120gb Slim internal HDD that I could get at a lower price and bought it through a US seller. None of my xbox 1 games will work with this hardrive, and thankfully I did it through PayPal. Im definately getting my money back on this one.

JETSWAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JETSWAD
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Ok sorry but you are ALL wrong. If you have an xbox 360 Arcade console that is the problem. I learned today via xbox support that the Arcade version is incapable of playing original xbox titles, which dont get me wrong is extremely lame and that problem should never exist.
MrsBlunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 MrsBlunder
Member since 2011 • 126 Posts

Ok sorry but you are ALL wrong. If you have an xbox 360 Arcade console that is the problem. I learned today via xbox support that the Arcade version is incapable of playing original xbox titles, which dont get me wrong is extremely lame and that problem should never exist. JETSWAD
How can they all be wrong if your problem is that yours is an xBox 360 arcade? I have an xBox 360 that is NOT an arcade that IS backward compatible, and yet won't play an arcade game, despite the fact I've now downloaded it a total of five times. Your solution isn't the only one.

OP: Did you ever find anything out?

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts
Thats weird. I just recently got Fatal Frame 1 & 2 (both xbox originals) and the only thing I had to do was download the update and then I was able to play just fine. I'd suggest calling MS support to find out why you're getting that error message.ForsakenWicked
How are you liking FF? It was a pleasant surprise when I played it (well perhaps pleasant isn't the proper word), I enjoyed it but it was damn creepy at times. My husband was watching me play one night and I ran across one of the 'scariest residents' and we both screamed. You'll know who I'm talking about when you see her. Good times! :)
thaxthane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thaxthane
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Hey, I have a question. I downloaded Indigo Prophecy from Games on Demand, and it keeps saying The Game Could Not Start, please download again. I did, and nothing happened. I did again, and still nothing. Should I erase it from my hard drive? I don't have any more MP, so I won't be able to buy it again if I have to.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

Ok sorry but you are ALL wrong. If you have an xbox 360 Arcade console that is the problem. I learned today via xbox support that the Arcade version is incapable of playing original xbox titles, which dont get me wrong is extremely lame and that problem should never exist. JETSWAD
This is not true. I have a 360 arcade and it plays X-Box originals just fine.

H3adSh0t89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 H3adSh0t89
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
The error must be with the harddrive, whether that's an issue with the drive itself or and issue with the patch for backwards compatibility. I came across the error when trying to play an xbox original game (Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee) on my friend's xbox (with his harddrive). When I swapped out his harddrive with my harddrive, it worked fine (well...as fine as this game will work on an xbox360) as I had downloaded the backwards compatibility patch a year ago. His xbox has the 10GB (or close to 10) HDD, my HDD came with the Xbox 360 Elite (the 120GB HDD). So...at the very least, you have that much more info to go off of.