So Safe to Buy a 360?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

krazykdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 krazykdude
Member since 2006 • 111 Posts

Anyway, my question is are the new 360's good? have they not been breaking as much? also is their a falcon chip now in every 360? They announced that they were soft launching new chips in the fall have are they here now? So, should I buy a 360 noMy favourite game Halo 3 is out and I am just wonderingif the 360 is fully safe to buy.??????? Also any ideas on weather I should get an elite or regular? If I get a regular I can most likley get an extra controller, and Forza Motorsport and 2 other 20-30$ games with it for $400. And the elite for 500 regular deal. I wouldnt mind downloading a few hundred songs, a few hundred photos, and a few movies, along with a few game saves? Do you think the regular 360 will do?or should i get an elite?

daniscrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 daniscrazy
Member since 2004 • 128 Posts
Well to answer one of your questions no the falcon chip is not out on the xbox's I think. I heard that microsoft is gonna sell out the old 90nm proccess chips first and then the falcon chips. Well if you want to buy a 360 right now I guess I haven't seem AS MUCH failures as the old 360 but its only been like 2 weeks? since the new one came out.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
Up until today my launch 360 was good... it picked a bad day to die. I'd say it's really just luck of the draw. You will never have a 100% good chance with any electronics. If you want one, test your luck and get one. The worst thing that happens is you have to send it in to MS for a couple weeks.
Elektrik-Blu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Elektrik-Blu
Member since 2007 • 335 Posts

Up until today my launch 360 was good... it picked a bad day to die. I'd say it's really just luck of the draw. You will never have a 100% good chance with any electronics. If you want one, test your luck and get one. The worst thing that happens is you have to send it in to MS for a couple weeks.nosferatu

Mines died back August 30th, and sadly I will miss the Halo 3 launch, but I should be getting mines this week, and sorry to hear about your Xbox 360.

ludadav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 ludadav
Member since 2005 • 1485 Posts
Safe if you buy a fan for the 360
Elektrik-Blu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Elektrik-Blu

Safe if you buy a fan for the 360ludadav

NO! DO NOT BUY THE FAN, it makes the Xbox 360 more prone to getting RRoD.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts
Everything I've heard about the fan is negative too. I vaguely remember hearing something about it voiding your warranty too. Fan=bad idea.
gamekingpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 gamekingpin

[QUOTE="ludadav"]Safe if you buy a fan for the 360Elektrik-Blu

Instead of buying a fan to attach to my 360 I just went and baught a small fan and sat it next to my console to blow away the hot air that comes out of the back. Those intercoolers are bad news, but at least if you do buy a 360 you are covered for 3 years incase you get the ring of death, I would say go for it.

L700NGY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 L700NGY
Member since 2007 • 72 Posts
yep its safe to but one because microsoft have a 3 year warrenty so thats what you call safe
slayer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 slayer85
Member since 2006 • 926 Posts
i think its safe because of the new extended warranty
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts
That's wrong, The olver version of the fan created hardware problems, the new modell of the Nyco fan is much more solid and works perfectly. I have been using it since June and have been playin estensivly with no problems at all.
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#12 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

I'm on my 2nd system and will probably be on my third soon (freezing is happeneing again). That lack of heat sink really hurts things, I don't care how well ventilated our space is (unless I can suspend the system mid-air, it's not getting anymore air space.

EDIT: Didn't finish my thought...

But yeah, the new heat sinked ones are much more reliable. Plus premiums have the HDMI port now, which is good, if you have the old EBGames warranty (which is useless, thanks to the MS warranty, even if it takes a month to get back)

Xfr3ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Xfr3ak
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts
Yup safe just got my second box and it runs a LOT cooler than the older one so overheat is not the problem
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts

[QUOTE="nosferatu"]Up until today my launch 360 was good... it picked a bad day to die. I'd say it's really just luck of the draw. You will never have a 100% good chance with any electronics. If you want one, test your luck and get one. The worst thing that happens is you have to send it in to MS for a couple weeks.Elektrik-Blu

Mines died back August 30th, and sadly I will miss the Halo 3 launch, but I should be getting mines this week, and sorry to hear about your Xbox 360.

I'm sorry to hear that man. Bad timing. My launch 360 has been solid since launch as well, but the DVD drive sounds funky now! That's probably just from overuse.

[QUOTE="ludadav"]Safe if you buy a fan for the 360Elektrik-Blu

I had the fan for a while, and it helped; however, the fan broke and I never got a new one because the system hasn't been freezing anymore. Go figure!
bullockjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bullockjm
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Yep, safe...I have a launch day console still working great! The warranty is great forpiece-of-mind on top of the changes already being made to not need it!
ianfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ianfan
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Well, I think the answer depends on what you consider safe. Here's a high-profile example:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/in-five-minutes-flat/bashcrafts-fixed-xbox-360-dies-again-299392.php

For my own personal experience, I had my 360 RRoD eight months out of the box back in mid August. I got the replacement 32 calendar days later, about a week ago. The replacement unit (you don't get your original back) seems to be working fine now, but it's only had about six hours of duty so far. It is much quieter than my original though.

So, why am I mentioning non-newish units? Just to give you an idea on what replacement/repairs units are like if you want to factor the warrenty into your thinking. Some repair/replacement units are coming back and dying almost immediately. Mine is still working, but again, hasn't had much time to fail.

If you read through the comments on that link andthe commentson the previous posts regarding that particular incident on Kotaku, it may give you an idea of what people are experiencing. Keep in mind people who are having problems are more likely to say something than people who aren't, but that should give you a decent picture of what MS QC is looking like.

yakk_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 yakk_3
Member since 2005 • 1442 Posts
Some of those cooling systems for the 360 void the warranty. I don't know exactly which ones though.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts

[QUOTE="nosferatu"]Up until today my launch 360 was good... it picked a bad day to die. I'd say it's really just luck of the draw. You will never have a 100% good chance with any electronics. If you want one, test your luck and get one. The worst thing that happens is you have to send it in to MS for a couple weeks.Elektrik-Blu

Yea I feel your pain. My 360 died last night. It was a launch consol and I had the feeling the Red rings would eventually show up. Too bad it showed up the same night as Halo 3 was launched:(

dudu1985s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dudu1985s
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Let me tell you a story about my 360

i got it on new years eve 2007 and did lot of reasearch about how much it heats and stuff so i kept it in a cool place (Room temp between 20C-25C) and well ventilated, didnt play more than 8 hours a week and during exams i dont use it fo long time. (I played HAlo 1 & 2 so i got my 360 MAINLY for Halo 3) and a week ago i turned it on 2 play forza 2 and guees what THREE RED LIGHT OF DOOOOM. man i hated microsoft and bill gates so much, i sent it 2 get fixed and ofcourse searched online about people who got it fixed to see if i have a chance 2 play Halo 3 after i fix it and BAM again disappointed by many people saying the RROD coming back after they fixed it........

now it all in ur own hand all i can say my 360 failed me more than it made me happy (bye bye HALO 3 /sigh)

-MlKE-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 -MlKE-
Member since 2007 • 1796 Posts
I've never had a problem with my 360...except for that one time when I left it on for too long... [spoiler]  [/spoiler]
Solidshark21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solidshark21
Member since 2003 • 350 Posts
instead of buying a fan you should get one of those laptop coolers.  Those work great and you can plug the usb power cord into your 360 plus the usb is made so that you can still attach another usb device to it.  I haven't had a problem with my 360's heating anymore the worst problem is the door gets stuck every once in a while but i think thats because they sent me a refurbished unit instead of my orginal 360.
lasberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lasberry
Member since 2005 • 163 Posts

Anyway, my question is are the new 360's good? have they not been breaking as much? also is their a falcon chip now in every 360? They announced that they were soft launching new chips in the fall have are they here now? So, should I buy a 360 noMy favourite game Halo 3 is out and I am just wonderingif the 360 is fully safe to buy.??????? Also any ideas on weather I should get an elite or regular? If I get a regular I can most likley get an extra controller, and Forza Motorsport and 2 other 20-30$ games with it for $400. And the elite for 500 regular deal. I wouldnt mind downloading a few hundred songs, a few hundred photos, and a few movies, along with a few game saves? Do you think the regular 360 will do?or should i get an elite?

krazykdude
lasberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lasberry
Member since 2005 • 163 Posts

krazykdude

According to my local Gamestop employee, Falcon chip 360s are indicated in the barcode on the box. They run cooler and quieter, a well-knownbenefit of the 65nm chip. If you can find an Elite with the Falcon chip,it willbe a great buy. I'm waiting for the rumored Holiday Bundle (search Kotaku for answers). The bundle should include Forza & Marvel: UA w/each system for the current price. That's a deal! I hope this helps.

Sorry about my last post. The server didn't post my response for some reason.

ajefferism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ajefferism
Member since 2006 • 2006 Posts
i still recommend getting a REPLACEMENT warranty for any 360 my friends would buy. I hear that turnaround for microsoft repairs is around 4 weeks right now (it was only 2 weeks when my 360 broke in Jan. 06). A REPLACEMENT warranty will let you just bring the box back to the store and they give you a brand new one. As far as the Elite goes, if I were buying a new Xbox that would be the one I get. 20GB (actually 12GB, with all the system software) isn't very much storage space, especially if you plan on buying tv shows or renting movies off of Live.
Nercay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nercay
Member since 2007 • 607 Posts
About the 360's breaking, im currently on my second 360, as are a few of my friends, (red light problem) so i dont know about that one.