So people just dont like Gamestop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Scryer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Scryer999
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts

I cant really see the problem with them, yea they screw you over for game trade ins, but what place doesnt?

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

I cant really see the problem with them, yea they screw you over for game trade ins, but what place doesnt?

Scryer999
I think this might be more suited to the general forum than here dude ...
Scryer999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Scryer999
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts

OH, my bad.

seankane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 seankane
Member since 2007 • 4076 Posts

Scryer999

They really screw you over, though. Worse than any place I've ever seen. They pretty much rely on kids and parents not knowledgeable enough to take their stuff somewhere else(or sell it themselves). Or lazy people who just dont care enough.

And they push people so hard to do it. I know its just their job, but I dont like that they pretty much PREY on their customers. Any place where I find pushy salespeople is a put-off for me. Its often enough to make me want to leave and go somewhere else.

Maybe its just a result of my age, but I've really come to think about who I do and do not give my money to. Most people dont think about it, but we're playing an important part of the economy when we decide where to spend money. If you like a product/service, then support that company with your $$$. If you dislike a place, then make a conscious decision to boycott them. If more people did this, I think the standards of these services and products would go up.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

well, i like how much selection they have, but I'd rather sell my games on ebay or something where i can make the price

TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
I do go there once in a while to look around but I cant stand their employees I traded in a game they saw one tiny scratch and took off like 20 percent so yea I never sell my stuff their amazon is the way to go for me
jad206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 jad206
Member since 2009 • 1821 Posts

Get to know them personally. I know one of them, and he will take my word if the games work or not. One time I brought in 6 games and he didn't even look at them. 30 bucks for most of them + Edge card. I would sell online, but that is to much hassle.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

Scryer999

so you willingly let individuals screw you over financially.. Don't let anyone rip you off, who ever it is !

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I think they're good if you're looking to buy old used games. I for one though like all my stuff to be brand new and I absolutely hate the stickers they put on their cases and as well despise the fact that they take the games out of their cases. I understand trying to stop thefts and that's completely fine, but I could just as easily go to a different store where the game is still new and sealed. So basically, why bother with them? At least in my case. I understand they do keep the newest games behind cases and even sometimes in drawers sealed up, but why bother taking that risk. Plus, I buy my games off Amazon; cheaper prices than retailers + free shipping + no taxes.
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts

Here is what is wrong with Gamestop.

A. Their used games are crap. Many of them are in generic cases with none of the original inserts. A lot of times the disc they give you will be scratched and could even be too scratched to play. So what if they will return it? They should not be selling it to people anyways.

B. Their used games are expensive. A $60 new game should not be $55 used. Period. While most people are buying those games smart people are getting them off of Ebay or Gamefly for less than $40.

C. Their discount card is a scam. In order to get an amazing 10% off you have to subscribe to a magazine that THEY OWN. People can defend Game Informer and that's fine but I don't subscibe to Wal Mart Magazine, and I won't subscribe to their magazine with bloated reviews and absolutely falsified previews.

D. Most of their employees are assembly line nerds who are afraid of losing their part time job. Now I know video gaming attracts a lot of nerds, but coming from someone who used to read comics, and plays video games for around 20 hours a week, I am usually embarrassed for those people.

E. I do not preorder software. Preordering software is a joke and completely useless unless somewhere like Amazon is actually giving you $20 back for doing it. Otherwise, I never have a problem walking into Wal Mart at ANY time of day, getting the new release I want, and not being hassled to buy stuff I do not need or want.

F. I don't appriciate anywhere with a "come in, spend your money, get the hell out of here" type of attitude. "Don't want our magazine? No preorders today? Sorry, I have a sucker here to pitch this too. Thanks for the $60, now get the hell out". We are talking about buying VIDEO GAMES. If buying video games can't be a fun, relaxed experience I don't know what should be. EB used to have a great feeling in their stores. A lot of demo machines, actually helpful employees who would talk to you about the new games. Not what Gamestop is, a little box store that would have been bankrupt if not for multiple bailouts by companies with more money than common sense like Barnes and Noble.

I worked part time at an EB in my area (5-10 hours a week) just for "fun" and a discount. I have a real job. I promtly quit 2 weeks after our store became Gamestop. The GM came in and gave a ridiculous speech about what we were expected to do and quotas we were expected to meet. This involved how we were supposed to treat people like a number, and sell them a $15 discount card and preorder no matter who they were or what they were buying. If it was a 90 year old grandma buying a $10 DS game for her grandson, sell her a discount card and make her preorder something... I laughed right in his face and walked out. I have a few friends that still work there, and they know what I won't spend any money at Gamestop. Every time I see them they start trying to cry on my shoulder about how they are getting heat about not making quotas and the company is always putting one of the stores around here on a "plan". That company is a true joke.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

yeah pretty much what everyone else said. Gamestop does more than screw you over alright they bend you over a rail and sexually molest you. Main two issues are of course the trade ins and the prices. They give way to little and charge way to much. Also they have 1 good sale at the end of every year. that's pathetic. you can find better deals all over the place.

Avatar image for RatchetJunkie20
RatchetJunkie20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RatchetJunkie20
Member since 2007 • 966 Posts

I like Gamestop. Every once in a while, I'll get a pushy salesperson or one that looks at me like I stole something because I'm a girl in a video game store but not all the time. Gamestop has the stuff that Target, or Wal-Mart won't have plus I don't have to track someone down with keys to the electronics department.

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
Other than getting ripped off selling your games there I like the store. They do have cheap used games sometimes and around blackfriday they have some good deals. I got Forza 3 for $40. I will using buy my games online for now on cause it so much cheaper through Ebay and Amazon.
Grand242154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grand242154
Member since 2010 • 412 Posts
They do horrible on trade-in prices.
LittleEnid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LittleEnid
Member since 2009 • 552 Posts

They bought out almost every gaming shop in my city, which means they can charge whatever they want and my only other options for purchasing gaming products are Walmart or Best Buy (which don't maintain that wide of a selection).

5-6 years ago there were plenty of smaller chains and independent shops, and now there's one, which stays in business because they typically charge $5-10 less than Gamestop does.

They're not doing illegal and it's a free market, but it sucks having to go online to get a good deal.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

I buy most of my new games there, but wont trade any games to them. They just rip you off. For example they will pay you $7 for AC2, then turn around and sell if for $65 here in canada, so I assume it would be $55 in the states.