So many games getting 9.0's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dKfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dKfalcon
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts
ive noticed that alot of new games are getting 9.0's.. are there alot of good games now??? or are reviewers just to scared to put one game over the other??
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
I would think it's because games are starting to reach the pinnacle of what they aspire. Obviously, games can always be better, but given what the games give us right now, it's safe to say they did a great job creating them. They're based on fun and playability. I don't think reviewers are scared although sometimes it seems like it. A good example is when GTA4 came out and everyone gave it 10s, it just seemed like they didn't want to be the only reviewers to stand out.
ThEmAk_XD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ThEmAk_XD
Member since 2008 • 764 Posts
I would think it's because games are starting to reach the pinnacle of what they aspire. Obviously, games can always be better, but given what the games give us right now, it's safe to say they did a great job creating them. They're based on fun and playability. I don't think reviewers are scared although sometimes it seems like it. A good example is when GTA4 came out and everyone gave it 10s, it just seemed like they didn't want to be the only reviewers to stand out.wwervin
Yeaa everyone gave it a 10
progcer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 progcer
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts
I think its because most of the new games getting 9's are sequels to great games, so the makers of the game know that the sequel has to be really good. Also it might be a bit of reviewers not wanting to mark lower than everyone else, but i think mainly its just that they are great games.
nickdastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 nickdastick
Member since 2004 • 5286 Posts

I would think it's because games are starting to reach the pinnacle of what they aspire. Obviously, games can always be better, but given what the games give us right now, it's safe to say they did a great job creating them. They're based on fun and playability. I don't think reviewers are scared although sometimes it seems like it. A good example is when GTA4 came out and everyone gave it 10s, it just seemed like they didn't want to be the only reviewers to stand out.wwervin

The more I think about this the more I agree. I don't think GTA should have received a 10. It is a great game but now when really good games get less than a 10, people get mad because now even scores in the 9's seem bad. For example, I just told my cousin today that Gears 2 got a 9.5 from IGN and a 9.8 from Teamxbox and he asks me why it got a 9.5 when a different website gave it a 9.8. And I'm just like, dude... you can't be serious! 9.5 is AWESOME!!! But yeah, I think the games that have been getting 9's and above lately have been deserving of it for sure.

Desperados11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Desperados11
Member since 2004 • 525 Posts

in my book a game that gets over 9.0 is amazing

heck a game that gets over 8.0 can be amazing

So far everything that has been over 8.0 on gamespot has been amazing for me

I even find some 7.0+ games great as long as i'm a fan of the series or style of game

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
well since gs moved to .5 increments its hard to get specific with stuff like that i mean i think 2 might have got somewhere in between 9.5 but since they dont do that anymore they have to round it off. in the end though it still works out people look at scores to closely, people here on GS would argue for days on a .1 difference between 2 great games.
MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts
Its annoying, Gamespot is a joke for using a .5 rating system. That is not a credible way to score anything...
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
In all honesty though it doesn't matter what score a game gets. Reviewers give you a good idea of what the game deserves but it's really just them pushing their opinions on you. It doesn't mean anything. I've found tons of games that have received horrible scores that I've enjoyed quite a lot. It doesn't really mean anything.
Zyllus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Zyllus_
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts
idk gamespot went through a phase of giving games bad reviews, giving games out standing reviews, and now 9's.
haha idk
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
its because the games r good. this is the time when great games come out. during the summer time games barely come out.
Hard_Target

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hard_Target
Member since 2008 • 118 Posts

Its annoying, Gamespot is a joke for using a .5 rating system. That is not a credible way to score anything...MickeyTheNinja

That's a stupid thing to say. There's a thin line between 6 and 7 that can usually mean a good game or a bad game, so the .5 helps when you're undecided. Plus, I was able to give Aqua Man a (well deserved) score lower than 1, thanks Gamespot!

Eye_See

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Eye_See
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts
Grand theft auto 4 didn't deserve a 10?? How about Metal Gear Solid 4? I was watching a friend play that game, and the story mode is filled with 40 minute cut scenes that are in there purely to show off the graphical prowess of the game. The plot and characters are still as convoluted as the other Metal Gears. I honestly think that GTA4 deserved a 10. Once IGN and Gamespot handed out another 10 to MGS4, they realized that they were all out of 10s for the year. If they handed out another one, everyone would start to dismiss their credibility. I think that Gamespot has very little credibility as it stands now. Ever since they decided to switch to the .5 system, their reviews have slimmed down in content and respectability. Most of them are two pages long at the most, and there has been many times where I noticed that they forgot to mention certain portions of a game (they didn't even discuss the co-op in Fable 2, though it's not much to speak of anyway). Right now, they are handing out all 9.0s because they are too afraid to hand out anything higher than that at this point.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
I wish Gamespot would stop being lazy and go back to the .1 scoring system. Gears 2 may deserve better than 9 but not a 9.5
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts
also i dont believe in 10s i still haven't played a tn game imo and i doubt many other people have either. 10s are hand out by fanatics who highly favor the game but does it really deserve a 10 means perfect and any complaint no matter how small should prevent a ten.
s_bowers_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 s_bowers_15
Member since 2003 • 1106 Posts
I haven't been able to trust gamespot's reviews for a long time now. They started out the year throwing out 10's like its nothing. Now they wont even give a game a 9.5
Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts
yea after what happened this year, im not going with GS reviews anymore
trw534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 trw534
Member since 2007 • 680 Posts
games are just that good
alvin201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 alvin201
Member since 2007 • 457 Posts

I even find some 7.0+ games great as long as i'm a fan of the series or style of game

Desperados11
yeah i tend to rent any games above a 7.0 even 6.0 sometimes
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Desperados11

same here. 7.5+ i usually consider buying and i have bought and enjoyed games that got less. (ary of Two, Mercs2 and others)