Single Player vs Multi-player

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rpawloski2458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rpawloski2458
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts
Is anyone else worried that games in general are all becoming mostly focused on online/multi-player?  I like online games just fine, but to me there is nothing better than playing through a great adventure like God of War, Metal Gear Solid, or Ninja Gaiden.  I mean, I here people saying, "oh this game is great!  Single player sucks, but online it's awesome." I just couldn't buy a game without a great single player portion.  I just can't get REALLY drawn into and emotionally vested in a multiplayer game.  I think it is great to have those games, but I just don't want to see great single player games disappear.  What do you guys think?  
Avatar image for Powerhitter0418
Powerhitter0418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Powerhitter0418
Member since 2006 • 1950 Posts
Yeah I know what your saying. A game isn't worth 60 bucks if it doesn't have good online or good single player IMO. It has to have both.
RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts
Im more into the single palyer experience but having multiplayer these days is also a must
bluezclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bluezclue
Member since 2005 • 1865 Posts
i would rather play a great single player then a great multiplayer.. perfect example as u stated god of war...ill never have lag on sp :)
GuitarsOfWarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 GuitarsOfWarr
Member since 2007 • 880 Posts
Yea i see where youre comin from but theyre both good especialy to create longevity.
rpawloski2458

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rpawloski2458
Member since 2007 • 775 Posts
I think it's great to have both!  But I just want to see a balance.  
UKLTLEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UKLTLEMON
Member since 2006 • 2030 Posts
i prefer multiplayer cas im inpatient and most storrys require patience
Glyth_795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Glyth_795
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think it's better having a great single player then playing on-line listening to 10-12year oldsacting out there death or screaming **** or even doing weird noises over the microphone.
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
i like both thats why im about to get The Dakrness looks like it has a good single player
nickkak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nickkak
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I don't neccessarily think that the debate between single player and multiplayer is as straightforward as it seems. Both styles of game can offer a great deal if done well. Single player games tend to have more potential for great epic stories rife with character development and general depth. Multiplayer games, on the other hand tend to be extremely open. The characters in the game are primarilly the other people playing. This gives the game an endless supply of potential stories and enhances the replay value. This by no means is saying that single player games cannot be extremely open (think Oblivion) or that multiplayer games cannot have defined stories and such to put the player in. Instead it is important to realize what the individual game is attempting to offer rather then classifying it in terms as black and white as single or multiplayer. Oblivion sought to give the openness of multiplayer while still providing the story offered by single player. Some massively multiplayer games seek to create a very defined world to put the various player characters in as well. There are many subtleties to these two distinctions and both ends of the spectrum seem capable of providing a worthwhile gaming experience.
thegreat_one3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thegreat_one3
Member since 2004 • 623 Posts
ya i mean 60$ for a game with only multi or only single??? the way i see it is if you dont get 60 hours out of a 60$ game its not worth it.
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts
Single Player all the way
slipknot86_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 slipknot86_1
Member since 2003 • 216 Posts
To me all i really want from a game is a good single player and have the option to play it in Co-op. Ofcourse a great online play is always nice but nothing beats co-op play imo.
36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 36O
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts

I personally like SinglePlayer alot more than Multiplayer. The experience you receive in good singleplayer games are satisfying and really make you feel like youve accomplished something. I also like multiplayer, (especially when Im bored) but its just not something that should soley be a game.

vicsrealms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 vicsrealms
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts
I much prefer SP games over MP type games. Thats typically why I'm so disappointed with games like BF2 or BF2142, where they make a great game, but kill it with the dumbest bots around (at least those that end up on my team, talk about incompetence). I don't mind MMO where there are designated areas like BG's where I can PvP if I wish. Still, that isn't an aspect of most games I am interested in.
armedanddeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 armedanddeadly
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

I prefer MP way over Sp because MP is what keeps the game going long after you have beaten the sp. like gears for ex. the sp was great but i would have stoped playing it months ago if it wasnt for mp. i would most definatly rather have Mp over SP any day.

slipknot86_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slipknot86_1
Member since 2003 • 216 Posts
more games need to have online co-op. that would make games have way more replay value.
littlevicky93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 littlevicky93
Member since 2005 • 49 Posts
I personally would choose SP in front of MP, because most games that I like are games like "Shadowrun" (although I only have the demo, mom and dad won't let me buy the full) and those kind of games. The problem I constantly meet is the heeuuge amount of trash talk. I mean to me, a good MP experience would playing with a minimal amount of trash talk. But it never happens. Because when I go "Quick Play" and I enter the game there's often someone saying things like "F*ck you b*tch", "Motherf*cker" or just plainly "F*ck You". See what I meen?
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

I'll always play the single player first, and I expect it to be good, but the multiplayer is what'll keep me coming back.

mehoff88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mehoff88
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

I think all games should be Co-op multiplayer, that would be **** Hopefully Army of Two brings co-op single player to the next level.