Silver Account can't play online multi WTF M$!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ElPadilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ElPadilla
Member since 2007 • 609 Posts

I live in the country the closest electronics store is 90 minutes away and that's Best Buy. So I made the drive to Best Buy to pick up RV2 and drove back. I didn't get a chance to play it until today. Well today my gold account expired and i thought nothing of it. So I decided to try the new online multiplayer it gave me the message that I don't have mutliplayer privileges. I never knew that silver accounts couldn't play online. I don't have to pay to play online on my PC or PS3. I could understand paying more if I were guaranteed lag free gameplay, but frankly Live has the most lag and slowdowns compared to my other gaming mediums. Sure we have a pretty more user friendly store then PS3, but I never use the store. So I go to renew with my credit card through Live. M$ rejects my credit card funny seeing as how I have a 0 balance. Called customer service they couldn't do anything about it right now and suggested to buy a gold account card at a local store. Great local for me means a 3 hr round trip. I think online gaming should be free, but use of the store should be paid for. Paying for online play is another excuse for M$ to bleed gamers of their cash. I know someone will suggest moving, but living in the clean air, peace and tranquility, and beauty of these mountains more then outweigh the occasional inconvenience. What do you think? Should online gaming be free to all 360 owners?

mark_c_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mark_c_128
Member since 2006 • 1520 Posts
If you thought you could play online without gold why did you buy a years subscription to it? I dont care about paying for a year its not too expensive (price of a game or less on ebay) Im happy with the service it replies.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts

Yea, um, you do realize that it costs less than 5 dollars a month don't you? That is a very VERY cheap price to pay for a good quality online experience. Quit complaining.

Avatar image for patsfan4liferjn
patsfan4liferjn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 patsfan4liferjn
Member since 2007 • 1253 Posts
it should be but it is very inexpennsive so i dont care. its like 5 dollars a month and its the best part about the 360.
Turbopre08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Turbopre08
Member since 2008 • 313 Posts

i know its a pain that you have to pay for live i know but when you try to compare internet with ps3 and wii yes they give online free. BUT they will never match wat live has like the amount of people online or friends list or joining other peoples parties etc. they will never match up YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Avatar image for MinnesotaPickle
MinnesotaPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MinnesotaPickle
Member since 2007 • 48 Posts
It's worth it, period.
jeffboardin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 jeffboardin
Member since 2007 • 97 Posts
I don't mind paying for XBL but i think that they need more free DLC.
Avatar image for football_legend
football_legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 football_legend
Member since 2007 • 1913 Posts
I am sorry u didn't knew. We all want XBL to be free...but....the reason its not free is the costs that are needed to maintain the quality of XBL (WHICH IS MILES AND MILES AHEAD OF PSN). But still, hope someday Microsoft increases ADs to allow Silver guys to play online and gold guys will recieve few or no ads at all.
maxxorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 maxxorz
Member since 2006 • 555 Posts

I'd rather pay $60 a year to have the best online I've ever experienced than have free online, like my PS3, which is unstanderized absolute utter crap.

I've been using Xbox Live since I was a beta tester for it back in 2002. I haven ever ever been disappointed with it and have loved every experience. I have met very few people who disrupt the games, and I attribute this to a strong community which the subscription fee helps filter.

Clinton015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#11 Clinton015
Member since 2005 • 9039 Posts
you had a gold account and didnt know silvers couldn't play online...yea right
nemes1s3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 nemes1s3000
Member since 2004 • 2176 Posts
The only difference to me between 360 multiplayer and PS3 multiplayer is that 360 tends to have more kids playing online, and I seriously hate having to yell out "Need backup!" to a 10 year old that responds back with a "Do you guys like Pokemon?"
SuperBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SuperBeast
Member since 2002 • 13229 Posts
So you previously paid for a gold account out of pure generosity, thinking there were no advantages to it? Personally I don't have a gold account because I don't like the 360 online community.....However if I ever did choose to get it, I think $50/yr is very fair. However as a PC gamer I do believe the DLC content games are getting these days are a little extreme. I will *never* pay for content that should have been free (Who the hell pays for maps. skins and simple mods?).... Thats just me though.
Halochief_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 Halochief_101
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts

Lol $50 a year isn't expensive ( get a job )

Why do you use a credit card why not use a prepaid card?

PS3 lags way more then 360 online

All of 360's multi-plats are better one 360 then PS3 ( regarding RB6 V2 )

blueNYshield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blueNYshield
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts

They still have occasional free weekends, right?

I understand them wanting you to pay to play online, it's the making silver members wait a week to be able to download all new demos. Silver members were aloud to download them right away until the fall update I believe. I don't know just don't see that feature making or breaking someone wanting to buy XBL gold.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
Fifty bucks a year is not a substantial amount of money and the live service, in my opinion, is well worth the money!
stuartcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stuartcee
Member since 2002 • 12846 Posts

It's worth it, period.MinnesotaPickle

Thats the bottom line, its so much better then the PS3 online who cares if it costs a few dollars a month.

g5velocity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 g5velocity
Member since 2007 • 1017 Posts
I'm still for increasing the price of Gold membership so as to limit the number of idiots online.
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
I'm still for increasing the price of Gold membership so as to limit the number of idiots online.g5velocity
:lol: If only it were that easy;)
chip1289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chip1289
Member since 2005 • 270 Posts
what cave have you been living in that you didnt know the difference between gold and silver was online play? yes you dont have to pay for psn because it is crap compared to xbox live you dont like paying for live cool go play psn i will send you a message of course you will have to leave your game to even know its there but its free so who cares right?
reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
Everyone's known about this for a while. You pay to play on LIVE. IT's been like this since the first xbox. Get over it.
bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
personally i'm happy to pay for it. $50 a year is not much at all for the service you get. especially if you're going to start comparing it to how PSN is free, i own a PS3 and the online makes me thankful i have a 360 as well.
julianwelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 julianwelton
Member since 2006 • 2526 Posts
I've always said that Silver membership should be playing online and thats it, and Gold membership should include all the extras like downloading demos, IM, Video chat, downloading movies, and etc. now theres no way anyone can say that this membership system doesn't make sense.
gamermanjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamermanjohn
Member since 2005 • 1849 Posts

Online gaming should be free! Honestly, I own every console and I like each one equally but tell me why is the xbox 360 the only one where you need to pay to play with your friends. I just don't get it. Microsoft like any other companies can give away the online services for free, they don't need that money more than the others.

In those years where the technologies are getting better everyday, it shouldn't be acceptable that we must pay to play online besides our regular IPS. I've never and I'll never pay to play online.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

Ummmm...50 bucks a YEAR? That's NOTHING.

WoW: $13 (Roughly) a month

Gimme a break, LIVE is worth it. Plus, if you're that cheap, find the list of games you CAN play online with without having a Gold account. (i.e. Shadowrun)

Patriot298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Patriot298
Member since 2006 • 1187 Posts
I'd rather pay and get a good quality service! You know what they say...you get what you pay for! Just look at that worthless PSN:P
howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

You people need to STOP COMPLAINING. It's $50 a year which is $4 a month. I can find that much change in the couch! Quit being a spoiled brat and get a part time job.

And as someone above me said you pay 3 times that amount for WOW every month. You don't hear those people always complaining.

Also just a quick edit: This isn't pointing towards the OP specifically. Just more that people that constantly complain about you have to pay for Live, ticks me off.

MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MorbidToaster

You people need to STOP COMPLAINING. It's $50 a year which is $4 a month. I can find that much change in the couch! Quit being a spoiled brat and get a part time job.

And as someone above me said you pay 3 times that amount for WOW every month. You don't hear those people always complaining.

Also just a quick edit: This isn't pointing towards the OP specifically. Just more that people that constantly complain about you have to pay for Live, ticks me off.

howlrunner13

Noone should be complaining about having to pay $4 a month for the best online service there is. I have a PS3, and the PSN, while free...sucks.

Like I said, WoW players pay 3 times that A MONTH. And so do FF XI players, and Warhammer players. Gimme a break. They pay for one game and you can't [ay for hundreds? Pft. Stop complaining.

king_bobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 king_bobo
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts
Buy a PS3 if you want free online gaming. It's got no real connectivity issues, has free wireless built in and has some great online multiplayer games like Warhawk. I've had so much difficulty getting Xbox LIVE to work that I gave up on it for about a year or more.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts

I live in the country the closest electronics store is 90 minutes away and that's Best Buy. So I made the drive to Best Buy to pick up RV2 and drove back. I didn't get a chance to play it until today. Well today my gold account expired and i thought nothing of it. So I decided to try the new online multiplayer it gave me the message that I don't have mutliplayer privileges. I never knew that silver accounts couldn't play online. I don't have to pay to play online on my PC or PS3. I could understand paying more if I were guaranteed lag free gameplay, but frankly Live has the most lag and slowdowns compared to my other gaming mediums. Sure we have a pretty more user friendly store then PS3, but I never use the store. So I go to renew with my credit card through Live. M$ rejects my credit card funny seeing as how I have a 0 balance. Called customer service they couldn't do anything about it right now and suggested to buy a gold account card at a local store. Great local for me means a 3 hr round trip. I think online gaming should be free, but use of the store should be paid for. Paying for online play is another excuse for M$ to bleed gamers of their cash. I know someone will suggest moving, but living in the clean air, peace and tranquility, and beauty of these mountains more then outweigh the occasional inconvenience. What do you think? Should online gaming be free to all 360 owners?

ElPadilla
your point is so flawed, theys no way you didnt know you cudnt play online with silver, as you paid for gold, so you know for a guranteed fact otherwise what did you think you were paying for???? demos???? and ms arnt really responsible for your credit card being declined. thats the card company. i suggest speaking to them as do you think microsoft just decline credit cards for the crack, they want to bring in as much money as possible, no company would reject a card without your credit card company telling them to do so. as for suggesting you to buy a card, what else could they suggest. your card was declined. get over it and speak to the card company, maybe they is a reason why. and lastley this thread is pointless, it wont change anything, this is for your blog not for another thread in a forum saying it should be free,. quite clearly you have a issue with your credit card company, or they have problems theyselves authorising the card consistantly. and you ran out of gold because of this and wanted to moan and mouth off, so just thought you would pretend you didnt know silver cant play online. pathetic. i can understand people who never paid or played on live not wanting to pay and not understanding but i never known anyone who just pays out on they credit card and dont understant they paying to play the games online. if you dont know how xbox live works, then i think theys a good chance you dont know how your credit card works. after all again did you just pay for a year just to be called a gold memeber??? tell me what did you think you were paying for?
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MorbidToaster
I've used both, I really like LIVE better. More frequent updates, more videos, better prices on DLC...better DLC...MUCH more free content. While free PSN is...free...You pay for it in the end.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 djrobst
I've always said that Silver membership should be playing online and thats it, and Gold membership should include all the extras like downloading demos, IM, Video chat, downloading movies, and etc. now theres no way anyone can say that this membership system doesn't make sense.julianwelton
of course it makes sense. the chat wud be poor, as most people wudnt pay just to chat to people or send messages or download advertisements (remember a demo is simply a playable advertisement, why would they charge for demos when it would just limit the sales of the games, they are meant to be free) the features like chat, im, video chat, downloading movies, watching movies with friends etc just wouldnt work if it wasnt available for people for free. if you played games for free but charged for the rest,. the rest would suffer as a high percentage of people wouldnt subscribe , so you would send messages to people and it would either say you cant send these messags or they wouldnt be able to reply. of course everyone wants to play for free, but u cudnt charge for messages and not for games that makes no sense at all. imagine how bad a business the subscriptions would be. espieally the idea of making people subscribe so they can pay to download other stuff, that would also limit sales.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 djrobst
[QUOTE="gamermanjohn"]

Online gaming should be free! Honestly, I own every console and I like each one equally but tell me why is the xbox 360 the only one where you need to pay to play with your friends. I just don't get it. Microsoft like any other companies can give away the online services for free, they don't need that money more than the others.

In those years where the technologies are getting better everyday, it shouldn't be acceptable that we must pay to play online besides our regular IPS. I've never and I'll never pay to play online.

dont do it then, then half of some of your games are going to waste. id rather pay myself and have a 360, than a ps3 and get online for free but pay easily another extra 5-10pounds per new game compared the price for the same title on the 360. that costs far more than paying for live for a year, even with buying access every month or 3 months. if you dont have a online for your games then most games that have online, its half the game lost, and that half is so different to campain side of the game in most cases. so with online its like a 2nd game almost
iareconfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 iareconfuse
Member since 2007 • 194 Posts
OP needs to do his research. Anyways, stop driving to your local store to buy games and stuff then, just use eBay or something and have it shipped to you.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I own a PS3, Wii and 360. Xbox LIVE is much better than those free services and for that I'm more than happy to pay for it. One example I'll give is game and console updates. On 360 it takes about 5 seconds. On PS3 it takes between 20-30 minutes. That's just one example of many why LIVE is better. You get what you pay for. If you want a crap free service get a PS3 or Wii.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
yes, i think it should be free. buy a live account off ebay or something/ buy it online. that way u won't have to drive 3 hours. what do u do for a living if everything is far away?
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts

I think it should be free... but if it isn't (which it isn't) I'll just pay for it, it's one of those things that's worth it.

Also, TC, as pretty much everyone has asked, why would you buy a year's worth of gold subscription in the first place if you thought silver could play for free? You stated yourself that you don't use marketplace so it's not for that, so why would you buy gold for a year? I think you knew all along you needed it but simply forgot to update the membership so now you're complaining to us and want sympathy.

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

you had a gold account and didnt know silvers couldn't play online...yea rightClinton015

I was thinking the same thing

starfox2468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 starfox2468
Member since 2006 • 2782 Posts
i say no because 50$ a year is not bad, and you get excellent features and great online.
Copianames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Copianames
Member since 2004 • 684 Posts

ElPadilla

You can get a 13 months gold subs from many reliable sources around the web for just 30 bucks. I find it funny M$, richest company on planet makes you pay to play online but .. what you gonna do uh? Live is not that bad and for 2,77 USD per month you just CANT complain.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

howlrunner13
Stop to compare a service that doesn't even offer dedicated servers to an MMO. That's laughable. Windows Live is free. End of story.
CUDCUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CUDCUD
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts
Sure it would be good to have free online multiplayer on the 360, but thats pretty unlikely to happen any time soon. I think making multiplayer free would be a bit too much to ask but maybe making some multiplayer modes available to silver members in some games could be possible.
CoreyNT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 CoreyNT
Member since 2008 • 593 Posts
Its simple economics.. You pay for something, you get better [Service] or [ X ] in return You pay nothing, you get nothing in return. So, pay that 60$ for 13months of live, so you can get much better service, and you can play your 360 exclusives, and superier multi-plats online. PSN sucks, and it cost, what... 60-80$ for a headset? And the Wii doesn't even have communication capabilities. Thats my two cents.