sick of achievements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

martinoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 martinoob
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

I've had my 360 since launch, loved the machine and was totally addicted to the achievement points system for a while. But for a long time now its totally put me off the system.

I join a game of rainbow 6, the host quits a minute into the game then sends me a message telling me its because they are trying to get a certain achievment.

Im playing Gears ranked match, all my team mate is doing is using chainsaw, i ask why, because he wants the chainsaw achievement.

My friend has been playing turtles a lot lately yet telling me how crap the game is, why is he playing it then? answer, easy achievements.

When i played through Oblivion, i remember just looking up the achiements list and going for each one rather than having a good adventure in my own free will like i did with Morrowind, it totally ruined it for me, and yes i know it was my own doing but thats what achievement points did for me.

Some friends of mine dont play certain games online anymore, why? because they have all the achiemements and have moved on to something else.

I could go on and on and on, but you get the point, ive just got myself a Wii and to play through Zelda without thinking about the stupid achievement points has been a blessing and brought back to me what gaming is really about.

-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Zaku-
Member since 2005 • 15425 Posts
I've never cared for them to begin with. I turn the notices off whenever I get a new game so I don't have to see the little pop up. I just go into the game and play it how I want. The friends I talk to that have a 360 never mention Achievements so I don't know if they care or not.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#3 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'll buy all multiplat games to help my lousy gamerscore. I think its a cool way to show your friends what you did, and compare it with thers to see who really is better when not in multi.

I rarely play LIVE, not cause of the achievements, but because of the tools. I hate looking at my game going "why is everything online now?" They need to make a better balance.

toctoc11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 toctoc11
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

interesting POV. i guess you helped me realize it didn't really like achievments.

a

Envig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Envig
Member since 2004 • 819 Posts

Interesting reading!

I've had my 360 since launch, loved the machine and was totally addicted to the achievement points system for a while. But for a long time now its totally put me off the system.

I join a game of rainbow 6, the host quits a minute into the game then sends me a message telling me its because they are trying to get a certain achievment.

Im playing Gears ranked match, all my team mate is doing is using chainsaw, i ask why, because he wants the chainsaw achievement.

My friend has been playing turtles a lot lately yet telling me how crap the game is, why is he playing it then? answer, easy achievements.

When i played through Oblivion, i remember just looking up the achiements list and going for each one rather than having a good adventure in my own free will like i did with Morrowind, it totally ruined it for me, and yes i know it was my own doing but thats what achievement points did for me.

Some friends of mine dont play certain games online anymore, why? because they have all the achiemements and have moved on to something else.

I could go on and on and on, but you get the point, ive just got myself a Wii and to play through Zelda without thinking about the stupid achievement points has been a blessing and brought back to me what gaming is really about.

martinoob
martinoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 martinoob
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts

In its defence, achievements has its advantages, like i probably wouldnt have botherd getting all the cogs in gears, gold in gun or birds in condemned. But to some people its like crack, the first thing they think about when getting a game is achievements.

ibanezdropd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 ibanezdropd
Member since 2003 • 1844 Posts
i like achievements for some games just because it adds another apect to a game to beat.  I honestly don't care about the stupid achievements like 10,000 kills in GOW or however many it is.  I've also found 29 of the 30 cog tags...  no flippin clue where the 30th is, but i don't care.  I think achievements are very good aspect of games and add a lot of replay value, but I also think that people blow it out of proportion and make a gamerscore more important than it is.  It is dumb when people buy a game and play it to death just to get achievements.  Achievements should be secondary to the main game.    
ajax_on_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 ajax_on_fire
Member since 2007 • 216 Posts
Achievements make make games last longer, I wouldnt be trying to beat gears of war on insane right now if it werent for achievemtns
fathertroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 fathertroy
Member since 2006 • 1309 Posts
Achievements make make games last longer, I wouldnt be trying to beat gears of war on insane right now if it werent for achievemtnsajax_on_fire
this is true
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
whats the point of achievements?to make yourself look...cool?
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
I love achievements. They give you something to work for with every game.
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
yea!!last resort for games when they get boring!
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 RebornInFlames
Member since 2006 • 1192 Posts
It all depends of how well crafted they are. In gears, I liked em cause they got me to pick up torque bows, grenade tags, and longshot which I probly wouldnt do otherwise cause everyone else is so much better with them, but a game like PDZ....I'm kind of ashamed how many games I've played with bots just for achievements lol crackdown's achievements are kickass tho
call4backup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 call4backup
Member since 2005 • 943 Posts
Hmm intresting point. All of this stuff is true tho. People ask me why im so chainsaw happy in Gears it is because of an acheivement. Personally, i love it and think it adds much more replay value to the games. Like in Gears i beat it on easy in 2 days and if it wasnt for the acheievements i would not of have tried hardcore or insane. it is also fun to see what your friends have done.
gp19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gp19
Member since 2005 • 4252 Posts
I play live a lot, and that has just happened twice. There are people that still play for fun
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
I just play the game, and if I get an achievement I say, "cool". Then, once I beat it, I go back for the ones I missed :P
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts
i like achievements for some games just because it adds another apect to a game to beat.  I honestly don't care about the stupid achievements like 10,000 kills in GOW or however many it is.  I've also found 29 of the 30 cog tags...  no flippin clue where the 30th is, but i don't care.  I think achievements are very good aspect of games and add a lot of replay value, but I also think that people blow it out of proportion and make a gamerscore more important than it is.  It is dumb when people buy a game and play it to death just to get achievements.  Achievements should be secondary to the main game.    ibanezdropd

same POV here
RoninEMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RoninEMS
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

You make a good point.  I will admit, however, that the achievements do add some replayability to some titles.  Just when I think I have exhausted the challenge of a particular title, I will notice an achievement target that is relevant to the gameplay and may work towards that.  Playing online solely for the purpose of attaingin an xbox live achievement is kind of lame.  If I play online, it's to connect with friends or because i am seeking the challengeof a human opponent.

I am, ulitmately, pissed off by the achievement system for an entirely different reason.  It's such a let down to earn an achievment, be excited by it and then realize; "What's the F***ing Point!?!".  It's not like xbox live is offering rewards for the achievments.  I would be very excited to see even a few measly Xbox Live Gold credits applied to your account when you achieve an accolade of 5-10,000 points. 

NickinAround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NickinAround
Member since 2003 • 3430 Posts
It's compairable to old school gaming as well...
Think about that guy who has the top score in lets say Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 that has the name fuk he has bragging rights. Sure it's dumb, but it's well integrated in gaming since awhile back. That and it gives you a little something to do if the game has been played to death.
channtheman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 channtheman1
Member since 2007 • 1176 Posts
U GUYS WHO DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DENSE THEY MAKE GAMES LAST LONGER THEY ADD COMPETITION THEY ARE FUN 2 GET JUST TO HAVE THEM IF U DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENT POINTS ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE U SUCK SO BAD U CANT GET 100 KILLS WIT UR PISTOL IN GEARS NOOBS STOP **** AND PLAYWarTime71
The TC puts out a very good arguement for why he doesn't enjoy achievements as much as others and all you can come up with is how bad he sucks at a game (which you don't even know)? That's pretty lame.
DaddyDC650

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaddyDC650
Member since 2007 • 1241 Posts
I kind of agree with the TC that acievements do in fact take away from a game to a certain extent. On the other hand, it's a great feature that some gamers love.
Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#25 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts
Did you know that the main thing that made the 360 unique, and made people play their games longer were for the achievments.. if something were to happen or if at the beginning there were no such thing as achievements, I would have just gotten a ps3, bu tI like the idea saying like you have to beat the game on difficult of showing your friends the things you did, and it basically proof to what you did on your game, and I too dont play on line that much.. well untill HALO 3 but now the online is seriously gets too much of the achievement on the games.. especially FEAR.. I seriously almost hate  that game for that, but All in all I love the achievements and the gamer score more than anything on the 360 just about
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RebornInFlames
lol wartime moron ..........TC you are very right tho, but I'm in too deep :) excuse me now i must go suffer through a Prey multi match for an achievement
Baroncx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 Baroncx
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts
all true and well-written, but honestly, achievments are the only thing keeping me from losing more months of my life to WoW
WarTime71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WarTime71
Member since 2007 • 404 Posts
lol wartime moron ..........TC you are very right tho, but I'm in too deep :) excuse me now i must go suffer through a Prey multi match for an achievementRebornInFlames
LOL I AM A MORON IM BORED SO I TEND TO WRITE STUPID THINGS SO HERE GOES.......U SHULD OF BEEN SWALLOWED.... DAT 1 WAS KINDA WEEK MAN IM GETTIN OLD
RaptorVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 RaptorVenom
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts
I love the points, I will play the game in diff ways etc... to earn them which makes them interesting. I like to get the ones that seem possible & I just forget about the ones that seem impossible, such as 80,000 points in COD3 ranked matches. If I get there, so be it, but Not really expecting to ever. In COD2 I was playing on Veteran, once I got to a certain point, I thought, this is insanely difficult & i'm getting very annoyed & not having any fun with it, so I decided to drop it & move on. I do think eventually they will come up with something cool for achievements, Old Spice Challenge was just a way of testing out an idea & seeing how effective it was, eventually leading to something cooler down the road.
Keving7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Keving7
Member since 2005 • 1028 Posts

i completely agree with the original poster. although, i dont disable acheivments and i like them, i dont do the acheivments that take a super long time to do. i dont go too far out of my way to get acheivments.

its not worth playing online confining myself to a certian weapon or sometihng (when im not even that good, ill admit) at GOW. I hate when ppl just run straight for the sniper or pull out their pistol, and ruin the team. i dont play online a ton, but i hope they dont add them to halo 3. the acheivments should be for kills, not specific kills.

RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RebornInFlames

@raptorvenom 

where'd you get stuck in cod2? i got hung up on the last tank mission (they can shoot through the bloody hills at you) and the sniper bit on that hill which was really horrible. Almost flung my controller into the wall but made it eventually. Its funny cause the final mission is like the easiest one

Meteor7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 129

#32 Meteor7
Member since 2005 • 534 Posts

I agree they are cool, but I dont go online and make a ranked game just for the achievements. That kind of ruins the point on working for it. It also wont improve in the game either. If you work on the game and just go with the flow and not be a dork and create a game just for chainsaw achievements then the game actually can give you more time to work.

tbarbuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tbarbuch
Member since 2004 • 652 Posts

U GUYS WHO DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DENSE THEY MAKE GAMES LAST LONGER THEY ADD COMPETITION THEY ARE FUN 2 GET JUST TO HAVE THEM IF U DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENT POINTS ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE U SUCK SO BAD U CANT GET 100 KILLS WIT UR PISTOL IN GEARS NOOBS STOP **** AND PLAYWarTime71

They have this thing called punctuation now. I'm pretty sure they teach it to people in Grade 2, you would know this if you quit skipping school to play video games. ;)

-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -Zaku-
I'll play a game at my own leisure, not for Achievements. If I don't feel the need to play a game anymore, I'm not gonna be held to it by Achievements. Games have been fine without Achievements for years. They only make games last longer if you want them too.
RebornInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RebornInFlames
[QUOTE="WarTime71"]U GUYS WHO DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DENSE THEY MAKE GAMES LAST LONGER THEY ADD COMPETITION THEY ARE FUN 2 GET JUST TO HAVE THEM IF U DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENT POINTS ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE U SUCK SO BAD U CANT GET 100 KILLS WIT UR PISTOL IN GEARS NOOBS STOP **** AND PLAY-Zaku-
I'll play a game at my own leisure, not for Achievements. If I don't feel the need to play a game anymore, I'm not gonna be held to it by Achievements. Games have been fine without Achievements for years. They only make games last longer if you want them too.

What I want to see is a return to traditional means of extending game lengths.....remember the good old days when you got a bonus level for beating it on a certain difficulty? 007 for 64 had the best bonus level scheme.....imagine if when you beat gears on insane instead of a little beeep and a gamerpicture you got to go on to act 6, and fight through to a boss like a brumak....that would be worth more than 100000 gamerpts to me
LordChar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LordChar
Member since 2007 • 124 Posts
Achievements are both good and bad. It does not really matter.
-Zaku-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Zaku-
[QUOTE="-Zaku-"][QUOTE="WarTime71"]U GUYS WHO DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DENSE THEY MAKE GAMES LAST LONGER THEY ADD COMPETITION THEY ARE FUN 2 GET JUST TO HAVE THEM IF U DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENT POINTS ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE U SUCK SO BAD U CANT GET 100 KILLS WIT UR PISTOL IN GEARS NOOBS STOP **** AND PLAYRebornInFlames

What I want to see is a return to traditional means of extending game lengths.....remember the good old days when you got a bonus level for beating it on a certain difficulty? 007 for 64 had the best bonus level scheme.....imagine if when you beat gears on insane instead of a little beeep and a gamerpicture you got to go on to act 6, and fight through to a boss like a brumak....that would be worth more than 100000 gamerpts to me

Yeah, I'd take a bonus level, upgraded weapons, hidden costumes/character, etc. over a few points that really do nothing.
RaptorVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RaptorVenom
Member since 2006 • 561 Posts

@raptorvenom 

where'd you get stuck in cod2? i got hung up on the last tank mission (they can shoot through the bloody hills at you) and the sniper bit on that hill which was really horrible. Almost flung my controller into the wall but made it eventually. Its funny cause the final mission is like the easiest one

RebornInFlames
I'm 4 achievements away from completion. I still need to get through, (the battle for Caen, Veteran of D-Day, Veteran of hill 400, & Veteran of crossing the Rhine.
cyrax453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cyrax453
Member since 2004 • 1666 Posts
I agree about being sick of achievements. When I buy a game I want to have fun with it, yet that list of achievements makes me want to rush through and not really enjoy my experience. I also realize this is my own fault but that is what they do! They destroy all the fun! So Im trying to not care about achievements, Ill get them when I get them, I wont even look them up.
Infernoply

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 Infernoply
Member since 2006 • 3012 Posts
i can see your point and they d ruin certian games, but in others like paper boy or something the achievements bring that game to life if youve already played the original.
limafoxtrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 limafoxtrot
Member since 2003 • 1097 Posts
Achievements make make games last longer, I wouldnt be trying to beat gears of war on insane right now if it werent for achievemtnsajax_on_fire
True for me as well. I do play the games the way I want to. Then I read the Achievements and see if anything sounds fun or go for them. Its bonus play to me. CoD2 on Vet, Gears on Insane, Trying to find the last 2 stupid CoGs I didn't come across playing the game the first time - all that adds play that I probably wouldn't of fooled with. Even different takes like pacifist in Geo Wars - all good stuff.
limafoxtrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 limafoxtrot
Member since 2003 • 1097 Posts
[QUOTE="-Zaku-"][QUOTE="WarTime71"]U GUYS WHO DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENTS ARE DENSE THEY MAKE GAMES LAST LONGER THEY ADD COMPETITION THEY ARE FUN 2 GET JUST TO HAVE THEM IF U DONT LIKE ACHIEVEMENT POINTS ITS PROBABLY BECAUSE U SUCK SO BAD U CANT GET 100 KILLS WIT UR PISTOL IN GEARS NOOBS STOP **** AND PLAYRebornInFlames

Those days are gone - if they are going to offer extra levels, weapons etc - it'll be over marketplaces and the Sony store (depending on your console of choice)
Generic_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Generic_Dude
Member since 2006 • 11707 Posts

I play live a lot, and that has just happened twice. There are people that still play for fungp19

Agreed... I don't play online for achievements. Do I go out of my way to get some? Sure I do, but I agree that people screwing up a good game of Gears or R6V for the sake of getting an achievement is bad mojo. The chainsaw one will come eventually anyhow, you don't need to consciously do that. You end up in more than enough desperate situations in that game that the chainsaw's got to come out sometimes and doesn't have to be forced.

If you're running into a lot of this, all I can really recommend is player matches. People in player matches are just out for a good time, don't care about achievements (can't get 'em in there) and etc etc etc.

ACESandElGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#44 ACESandElGHTS
Member since 2006 • 764 Posts

First off, thanks Old Spice for this completely lameass challenge.  :D

ACESandElGHTSACESandElGHTS

At least I got me some Contra and a few MS points out of it.

Anyway, I think achievements are pretty fun.  Even if I don't get a full 3-4 hour game sesh in, I can still play for an hour trying to get an achievement and I've had fun trying.

It is kinda like crack though.  "It's time for church."  Yeah, I'm trying to crack 10,000.  "Dinner's on."  Yeah, I just need to strike out two more batters for this acheivement.

jonzilla_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#45 jonzilla_basic
Member since 2002 • 2334 Posts
I dont have my 360 yet but i cant wait to start playing and i cant wait to start doing the achievement points as well. I think that it adds to the game