Shouldn't all games have a save system like Oblivion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

morpheusnj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 morpheusnj
Member since 2004 • 1943 Posts
Is it just me or does Oblivion have the best save system ever? I always hated having saving "spots" or checkpoints that usually were 30 min inbetween each other and always forced me to play for certain amounts of time like it's a chore to reach the next save spot. Then there's games like the Zelda series where you could save anywhere but when you rebooted the game you would be at hte BEGINNING of the dungeon, makes no sense whatsoever to me.(dont get me wrong, Zelda is my most fav series out there, just hate the save system) Oblivion's save system is so simple yet it's so friendly to gamers so that you can put the game down whenever. I think all games should have this exact same save system, dont you guys tink the same? your thoughts?
Razieluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Razieluk
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts
I completely agree. Imagine the scene, you've just battled for the umpteenth time through a series of rooms and you get a power cut, or some emergency, or you've got to go out, etc. you find that you can't save, so next time you have to play through that lot again!! Grrr!
yungog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 yungog
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts
absolutely,im sick of having to go to a save point in games like saints row...and reaching checkpoints in other games.y cant all save systems b like oblivion..:?
Sliverwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sliverwarrior
Member since 2003 • 928 Posts

I agree, but you guys forget that such a save system make the games shorter.

Not to mention it can be exploited, like you hit a boss then save, if you get hit, reload and try again.

If you abuse it, the whole game becomes utterly easy.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
1000% agree
MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts
This particular system would not work with all games. There is a reason for check points, (although, some are ridiculously few and far between) they present a challenge to the gamer, and what is gaming without the challenge.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Not to mention it can be exploited, like you hit a boss then save, if you get hit, reload and try again.

Sliverwarrior

But that is how the save system on PC games has just about always been. You save the game, and when you reload, everything is exactly how it was when you saved. To be honest, the console save system where you jump back to recent points makes less sense.

Oblivion just took the save system that was used on the PC version, rather than create a whole new system for the console versions.

Razieluk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Razieluk
Member since 2004 • 146 Posts

Sliverwarrior

I don't forget this. I've been playing computer games for over 20 years (I had a Spectrum when I was 14 - I'm 37 now)!

Yes, if you abuse it it does make the game too easy, but it's like anything, it's up to the user to use the facility sensibly. I mean you can do it as you say with regard bosses, but then how many times have you had to battle the same boss time and time and time again?

A perfect example for me is TC Rainbow Six: Vegas. I'm very near the start of this in the Railway Yard section. I nearly got to the end of the level, which took me well over half an hour, got hit by a silly shot and so have had to go right back to the start!:evil:

lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
yeh, as games continue they are starting to get better at having an auto save option (turned on or off) and a better check point system, tho those still sometimes make you start the mission(s) all over so i fail to see the point of those. any way yeh Oblivions is the best and more games need to have that same save system
aandrew610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aandrew610
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
yaeh its a good system,. LOL dead rising has the WORST but its still an AWESOME game
APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

This particular system would not work with all games. There is a reason for check points, (although, some are ridiculously few and far between) they present a challenge to the gamer, and what is gaming without the challenge.MsCortana

MsCortana is on the money

bazanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bazanger
Member since 2004 • 2838 Posts
This particular system would not work with all games. There is a reason for check points, (although, some are ridiculously few and far between) they present a challenge to the gamer, and what is gaming without the challenge.MsCortana
that's actually what i was going to say..
CheeChee_Macko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CheeChee_Macko
Member since 2008 • 2236 Posts
That is pretty much how PC games have been doing it for years.
diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts

What do you mean 'like oblivions' Oblivions save system is nothing special at all, its STANDARD PC game save system...

Besides there are a ton of FPS games on 360 that employ the same standard pc game save system, some even have a quicksave on 360.

You reference Oblivion like it's something special or unique...

Thegameowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Thegameowner
Member since 2008 • 95 Posts
Dont agree soz, some games like dead rising would be suitable to the game save system but some games just wouldnt. With some games it would just make it too easy and a lack of challenge in just saving at every spot. It does suit oblivion though becoz you can just make a 2nd character from ur 1st by creating a different save and take a different route int he game.
morpheusnj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 morpheusnj
Member since 2004 • 1943 Posts

What do you mean 'like oblivions' Oblivions save system is nothing special at all, its STANDARD PC game save system...

Besides there are a ton of FPS games on 360 that employ the same standard pc game save system, some even have a quicksave on 360.

You reference Oblivion like it's something special or unique...

diablobasher

wow. calm down. I know many PC games use the same save system as Oblivion does but I wasnt sure that ALL PC games used this same system so for the sake of all the people who would jump on my case (like you for example) over a small error, I just used Oblivion as a reference.

diablobasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 diablobasher
Member since 2004 • 5088 Posts
Well PC games have been doing it since Doom and even well before that. It's just a standard save anywhere, anytime system. I dont see why Oblivion should get credit by association for doing something that is completely standard.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
He probably used Oblivion because it's a popular game on the console and stating his point with a popular game would make others understand it easily. Plenty of games use that feature we all know on the pc but not every console user's a pc gamer.
Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts
The save system in BioShock and The Orange Box works quite good. Save at any point and you'll start back at that point.
jasonlc3221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#20 jasonlc3221
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts
But if all games had a save system like that, wouldn't ALL games be too easy? Dead Rising was very fun, and a lot of it had to do with how challenging it was. I believe that a lot of the challenge wouldn't have existed without it's odd save system.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
yea they should, except, it would make most games way too easy.