Rumours of slim 'Xbox360' circulating the net known as 'Xbox 540'.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 0

#1 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

After posting a forum informing gamers of a couple of articles I had found recently whilst surfing the net; I came to the conclusion that if certain "Know It All" gamers haven't read about something; or heard about something; it's just not happening or it's to be verbally abused !

One of the articles read.. "A more dramatic and perhaps visible change will appear: T.S.M.C plans to begin producing the 'Valhalla Chip' which will be the foundation of the midcycle refresh of the Xbox360, thus called Xbox 2.5; or simply the Xbox 540 (360+180) in fall of 2009. We have learned that this new chip is apparently much more than a 'die shrink' and will end up as a 'system-on-a-chip design'. This change is likely to enable a redesign of the Xbox 360 casing and go towards a slimmer design. Much like what SONY did with the 'Gen 1' and the 'Gen 2' P.S.2.. There is also some interesting pieces of infomation that MICROSOFT is shopping for a more effective cooling solution. Several people close to the cooling industry told us that MICROSOFT approched them and asked for a better and cheaper way of cooling than what is being used in the 360 right now. Some may claim that the current 'Xbox 360' cooler is already as cheap as it gets, but we have no doubts that MICROSOFT will find a way to drop the cost price once again."

Another article reads.. "In the follow up to the news that the 360's internal hardware update will be changed to the 'Jasper' set up. There is now news that the Valhalla update mentioned is more than just a CPU and GPU on the same chip. 'T.G Daily' thinks that the Valhalla Chip will be at the heart of a complete hardware revision fall 2009. All that we know for sure is that the Valhalla chip will indeed be used in the 'mid cycle refresh' of the hardware, and that it is in fact an 'all in one chip'. Whether or not MICROSOFT will actually change the outer shell or not is unknown; the Valhalla hardware update could come and go without changing the outer look of the console at all.

Another article also insists that the 360 will be slimmed down and shipped as the Xbox 540 including the Valhalla chip fall 2009. A release marking the anniversary of the 360.

If this is true; this does NOT mean that the Xbox 540 will be MICROSOFTS successor to the 360. The Xbox 540 will just be a slimmer version of the Xbox 360.

It seems these articles were posted a few months ago ; but I thought they may be of interest to gamers (like myself) who are interested in MICROSOFTS consoles.

I apologise if this is old news.

Decades Of Gaming.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
Can you change the font it hurts my eyes to read it. Slightly hard to respond when i can barely look at it.
choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 choffy
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts
Post a link
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

Can you change the font it hurts my eyes to read it. Slightly hard to respond when i can barely look at it.craigalan23

same here

DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts
This story changes constantly. Thats why nobody cares. First it was going to be shown at E3, then at TGS with a release date of November. Nobody cares about rumors that have nothing to back them up but more rumors. The fact that a slimmer 360 will come out eventually is nothing new, or even surprising. Its just not interesting.... Think of this for a second. The harddrive is as wide as the 360. If the 360 was thinner, where would the harddrive go? Theres no doubt a thinner 360 will hit the market one day, but your trying to hype something up like you have some inside sourse about something everyone already knows.
IMonKI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IMonKI
Member since 2008 • 151 Posts
Ummm when I was taught math, 360+180 was 540, not 450. But it was probably just a typo.
lahdeedah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 lahdeedah
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts
There has been so many people who posted this. First they were adding Blu Ray, then this new chip, and then there was an xbox 720 coming out. Ugh.
Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nasukashi
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts
well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

Ummm when I was taught math, 360+180 was 540, not 450. But it was probably just a typo.IMonKI

obviously it was a typo- look at the title, think b4 you waste your time posting something.

JohnnyPr1827x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JohnnyPr1827x
Member since 2008 • 228 Posts

Its obviously Bull **** Xbox 360 will stay Xbox 360, there will be no slimmer version, only upgrades will occur, i called xbox just now and they said microsoft has no plans on making/releasing a so called "Xbox 540" or a slim version of the 360, so i say BOGUS!

strahd01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 strahd01
Member since 2003 • 2440 Posts
Vahalla is gonna happen it was announced when Jasper was announced it will combine the CPU and GPU into one chip I am sure they will wait til 2009/2010 for it to come out it will also add another price drop to the system and anyone who needs a link just use google and type Vahalla or Jasper
terabyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 terabyt
Member since 2008 • 52 Posts

(to lahdeedah's sig) Really funny thing is you mispelt above so that ruined the whole paradox!

I'd rather wait another couple years before a new xbox console is released - the new dashboard isn't even here yet!

Its obviously Bull **** Xbox 360 will stay Xbox 360, there will be no slimmer version, only upgrades will occur, i called xbox just now and they said microsoft has no plans on making/releasing a so called "Xbox 540" or a slim version of the 360, so i say BOGUS!

JohnnyPr1827x

You actually expect them to tell the truth? I'm suprised the person on the other end didn't laugh at you and hang up.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Don't you just love it how everyone assumes that a successor to the 360 will be some multiple of 180 on top of it. 540? 720?

This particular rumour starter couldn't provide a link to back anything up, or even post some dodgy photo-shopped image that claims to be an image of said 360 successor.

uwiwami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 uwiwami
Member since 2008 • 334 Posts

well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...Nasukashi

540 means they go around in a circle and then half way around that same circle. Math for you

terabyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 terabyt
Actually its spelt maths not math dude. Hate to go off topic but how to you get your gamercard in your sig?
Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nasukashi

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...uwiwami

540 means they go around in a circle and then half way around that same circle. Math for you

yes but they will be facing a different direction, or in marketing terms, a better direction.. a new direction.. ;)
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
[QUOTE="uwiwami"]

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...Nasukashi

yes but they will be facing a different direction, or in marketing terms, a better direction.. a new direction.. ;)

Doing a 180, or U-turn is almost NEVER seen as a good thing - it usually means what you were doing before or aiming to do was so wrong you had to go in the opposite direction to correct it. Politicians are usually criticised for doing this, and it does not help their career

Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nasukashi
[QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="uwiwami"]

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...Avenger1324

Doing a 180, or U-turn is almost NEVER seen as a good thing - it usually means what you were doing before or aiming to do was so wrong you had to go in the opposite direction to correct it. Politicians are usually criticised for doing this, and it does not help their career

true... and i agree, but thats why i never liked the name xbox360... to change it now wouldnt make much sense cuz 360 is an awsome console and is doing great...

but they shouldve named it xbox 180 or 540 earlier... cuz the first xbox was $hit... it had $hit games... sold almost nothing, and... well was just horrible... so why would they wanna do a 360 and keep going in the same horrible direction? get it? but now its not like it really matters... if they were gonna do a slim it should be 720 actually... cuz it keeps the same direction as the 360.. but.. i dont know... has more spins? lol...
TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

This story changes constantly. Thats why nobody cares. First it was going to be shown at E3, then at TGS with a release date of November. Nobody cares about rumors that have nothing to back them up but more rumors. The fact that a slimmer 360 will come out eventually is nothing new, or even surprising. Its just not interesting.... Think of this for a second. The harddrive is as wide as the 360. If the 360 was thinner, where would the harddrive go? Theres no doubt a thinner 360 will hit the market one day, but your trying to hype something up like you have some inside sourse about something everyone already knows. DZBricktop

first of all you can't spell Source and its obvious MS would design it around the HD size but still make it a slimmer console.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
cool i gues if they do come out with a slimmer one. i don't care since i have a 360 but it would be interesting see a slimmer one. i kind of wounder how slimmer like ps2 slim or like just a bit smaller.
Mikka_kippa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mikka_kippa
Member since 2005 • 971 Posts
Wow, you're lucky. They taught you that equation? In my school, we had to memorize all these ****ing logs and quadratic formulas.
terabyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 terabyt

first of all you can't spell Source and its obvious MS would design it around the HD size but still make it a slimmer console.TX360

How would it be possible to make the console slimmer unless they just slapped the hard drive on the side or something? Besides - it won't happen!

Triplekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Triplekill
Member since 2005 • 504 Posts
We all know it will be named Xbox 360 Soul! 540, 720? HA!
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5ef287a6cdc35
Member since 2004 • 537 Posts
Let's just hope they get the 360 problems right first.
_Kikode_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 _Kikode_
Member since 2008 • 434 Posts
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="uwiwami"]

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...Nasukashi

true... and i agree, but thats why i never liked the name xbox360... to change it now wouldnt make much sense cuz 360 is an awsome console and is doing great...

but they shouldve named it xbox 180 or 540 earlier... cuz the first xbox was $hit... it had $hit games... sold almost nothing, and... well was just horrible... so why would they wanna do a 360 and keep going in the same horrible direction? get it? but now its not like it really matters... if they were gonna do a slim it should be 720 actually... cuz it keeps the same direction as the 360.. but.. i dont know... has more spins? lol...

The orginal X-box was far from that m8 It had excellent graphics and a decent line up of games. The only problem I saw with the original Xbox was the Clunky Default controllers.

Microdevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Microdevine
Member since 2008 • 1126 Posts
This story changes constantly. Thats why nobody cares. First it was going to be shown at E3, then at TGS with a release date of November. Nobody cares about rumors that have nothing to back them up but more rumors. The fact that a slimmer 360 will come out eventually is nothing new, or even surprising. Its just not interesting.... Think of this for a second. The harddrive is as wide as the 360. If the 360 was thinner, where would the harddrive go? Theres no doubt a thinner 360 will hit the market one day, but your trying to hype something up like you have some inside sourse about something everyone already knows. DZBricktop
thinkin the same thing.the only way i could see it slimming down is if they put the hdd on the wide part of the console.lol
Nasukashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nasukashi
[QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="uwiwami"]

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better..._Kikode_

The orginal X-box was far from that m8 It had excellent graphics and a decent line up of games. The only problem I saw with the original Xbox was the Clunky Default controllers.

well... its just my opinion, though i did have the original xbox, but i also had a ps2... and the original xbox mostly just had FPS.. and the games that werent FPS werent really good.. just DOA and NG saved it.. and ya the controllers sucked... but it didnt have a very good line up or support from other parties at all... thats why it barley sold, so since they didnt sell anything on their frist try... why do a 360? and not sell anything again?... though good thing they did well this time...
DZBricktop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DZBricktop
Member since 2007 • 2914 Posts

[QUOTE="DZBricktop"]This story changes constantly. Thats why nobody cares. First it was going to be shown at E3, then at TGS with a release date of November. Nobody cares about rumors that have nothing to back them up but more rumors. The fact that a slimmer 360 will come out eventually is nothing new, or even surprising. Its just not interesting.... Think of this for a second. The harddrive is as wide as the 360. If the 360 was thinner, where would the harddrive go? Theres no doubt a thinner 360 will hit the market one day, but your trying to hype something up like you have some inside sourse about something everyone already knows. TX360

first of all you can't spell Source and its obvious MS would design it around the HD size but still make it a slimmer console.

OH NO!!! I misspelled a word. You're obviously SO much smarter.

DivinitySkate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 DivinitySkate
Member since 2008 • 485 Posts
I doubt it, it was called the 360 because it stood up and could be placed on it's side. The next one could be a completely different name
pacman2O6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pacman2O6
Member since 2008 • 91 Posts
THIS IS BULL@#%T!!!!
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts
Why are you guys debating about whether or not Microsoft would be able to fit the HDD in a slimmer version of the Xbox 360? If they are planning to make a slimmer version of it, they can easily adjust the size of the HDD. Have you not heard of 2.5" HDD for laptops?
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
Ive always wanted a slim 360 as long as it stayed cool and quite.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#36 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
DZbricktop... It states clearly in the first paragraph that the reason I posted the info was because I found a couple of interesting articles whilst surfing the net. I simply thought the info might be appreciated by gamers who don't "Know It All" like you ! Gamers who can digest literature without twisting it !
b0-0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 b0-0n
Member since 2004 • 217 Posts
I'm quite sure they'll update the design in the future, more than probably together with updating the internal component to make them smaller, cooler and cheaper. Look at the success of Nintendo doing this with the DS / DS Lite (and to an extent with the different colors of the gamecube) or Sony with the PS2 and the PSP. I'm also quite sure the name won't change into something like Xbox 720. Without adding extra capabilities (like maybe a BR drive) it would make no marketing sense at all (consumers would think it's a successor, not an update of the existing console), and even when adding extra stuff, it would rather be named into something like Xbox 360 Slim (but then more creative).
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts
I was actually about to say it would most likely be called something as simple as Xbox 360 Slim. Take a look at Xbox 360 Elite, it was never re-named Xbox 540, 720, etc, because it would confuse consumers thinking they have an inferior product. Even though, the word "Elite" possibly contradicts that statement. Haha.
Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="uwiwami"]

But MAYBE Microsoft was being really sneaky. There's 360 seconds in an hour. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! They're OBVIOUSLY insinuating that we're gonna waste hours of our life on that box.

Damn, they're smart.

chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts
[QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="uwiwami"]

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...Quintinius

But MAYBE Microsoft was being really sneaky. There's 360 seconds in an hour. Coincidence? I THINK NOT! They're OBVIOUSLY insinuating that we're gonna waste hours of our life on that box.

Damn, they're smart.

Actually there's 3600 seconds in an hour...

And I'm not sure why the 360 is being chastised for it's name. What, should they have gone with something ridiculous like the Wii?

Quintinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Quintinius
Member since 2006 • 1050 Posts
[QUOTE="Quintinius"][QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="Avenger1324"][QUOTE="Nasukashi"][QUOTE="uwiwami"]

[QUOTE="Nasukashi"]well... xbox 540 is a cooler name... 360 just means they end up in the same place they took off.. meaning... they didnt do much after the first xbox O.o.... 540 is much better...chefstubbies

Damn, they're smart.

Actually there's 3600 seconds in an hour...

And I'm not sure why the 360 is being chastised for it's name. What, should they have gone with something ridiculous like the Wii?

AND THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT! They're insinuating that we're gonna spend like 10 hours.....umm, it was a typo...my keyboard only has one 0 key.....

I think the 360 is a great name. I'm just annoyed about how everyone thinks "NEXT CONSOLE MUST MEAN MULTIPLY BY TWO" or "EVERYTHING PROGRESSES BY NUMBERS". I mean, is it hard to comprehend a different title for the new console. The Elite, Falcon, Core, Arcade, Jasper and all those would be examples of new names.