Red Ring of Death Advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nosbig
Member since 2003 • 30 Posts

I'm pretty frustrated and wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me. My Xbox isn't that old but just before Christmas I got the Red Ring of Death. I sent it away to be repaired and they worked on it and sent it back to me after the usual 4-6 weeks. On the weekend I got my second Red Ring of Death with the same machine! I've done a little research and I find people that have had it are a little more likely to get it again. I actually got a stronger fan to mount on it just in case heat was the problem and I have it in a very well ventilated area.

Here's my dilemma, I don't want to have it repaired and have the same thing happen to me in 4-6 months from now. I was thinking about buying an Arcade 360 and swapping the hard drive from my premium 360 into it so I get to keep my save games, profile and Achievments. Is that possible? Would that work?

I was thinking I coud maybe still send off my broken machine to be serviced and sell it with a warning that it might happen again to whoever buys it?

LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LeviLRP
Member since 2008 • 751 Posts

Yes it would work. My question is what do you mean you got a stronger fan to mount on the system? Do you mean on the inside or on the back of the console?

If you mean inside you will have to pay to have MS fix your console.

If you mean on the you got one to put on the back of the system than you should not have used that. All those do is is add a fan over top of another fan and that does nothing to help keep it cooled down.

nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nosbig
Oh no, I didn't modify the inside. It was an exterior fan. I knew it wouldn't do much but I was so frustrated with the first Red Ring that even if it helped a little I was willing to pay.
LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LeviLRP

Oh no, I didn't modify the inside. It was an exterior fan. I knew it wouldn't do much but I was so frustrated with the first Red Ring that even if it helped a little I was willing to pay.nosbig

The thing is that those fans don't help. If anything they do more damage than if they were not used in the first place.

nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nosbig
I'm going to ditch it with my new console then. Thanks for the advice.
LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LeviLRP

I'm going to ditch it with my new console then. Thanks for the advice.nosbig

Ya no problem. The thing is using the fans that go onto the back is just like putting two box fans in front of each other. It does not do anything at all. They can void the warranty if the intercooler was what caused the problem.

Avatar image for seventy5cent832
seventy5cent832

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 seventy5cent832
Member since 2007 • 1057 Posts
it doesnt pay 2 buy a new 1, it will not b PERFECT and will still get it, but it will cost u more money
LeeSan420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LeeSan420
Member since 2008 • 451 Posts

i will get modded so screw it

buy a ps3 problem solved

Avatar image for xoxINSOMNIACxox
xoxINSOMNIACxox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xoxINSOMNIACxox
Member since 2008 • 647 Posts
Buy a ps3 and your problem is solved.
nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nosbig
PS3's are having their fair share of hardware failures but it isn't as talked about so I'm going to respectfully stay away from the PS3. There are no PS3 exclusives that I want.
nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nosbig
I know it won't be perfect but I'm thinking I'll have a lot less headaches. If this was to happen in another 4-6 months with the same console I'd probably pull my hair out. At least if it happens again to the new machine it'll be less frustrating in my mind.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts

If you had researched beforehand you would have found that the Red Ring was a common problem with Xbox 360 consoles. When you decided to purchase an Xbox 360 you were saying to Microsoft that you are alright with this and it is a gamble you are willing to take to play the games that are available on their platform.

I am tired of people complaining about the Red Ring when they should have known better, its not like its a well kept secret.

LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LeviLRP
If you can afford to buy a new arcade console than just buy it and then keep the one that MS sends back to you for a back up one. That way if the one breaks than you have one to play while you send the broke one into MS.
nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 nosbig

If you had researched beforehand you would have found that the Red Ring was a common problem with Xbox 360 consoles. When you decided to purchase an Xbox 360 you were saying to Microsoft that you are alright with this and it is a gamble you are willing to take to play the games that are available on their platform.

I am tired of people complaining about the Red Ring when they should have known better, its not like its a well kept secret.

Fredrick2003x

I wasn't complaining about anything Frederick. I was simply asking feedback about whether I'd still have my save games and achievements if I swapped out the old hard drive into a new unit. "If I had researched beforehand..." Are you kidding me? Everyone knows about the issues that we've been having with SOME of the 360's. To be honest, this is what's wrong with forums. When people only read half of the question and then use it as a sounding board for something that they misunderstood in the first place.

nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nosbig

If you can afford to buy a new arcade console than just buy it and then keep the one that MS sends back to you for a back up one. That way if the one breaks than you have one to play while you send the broke one into MS.LeviLRP

I think that's the best option. Thanks for the advice. You've been quite helpful.

Avatar image for whitesoxfan8907
whitesoxfan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 whitesoxfan8907
Member since 2004 • 420 Posts
I am waiting for my Rings of Death. I have had the same one since the original release and I am very pessimistic about it. Why can't they just make reliable systems like they used to?
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

i will get modded so screw it

buy a ps3 problem solved

LeeSan420

This is the 360 forum, he wants an advice for his 360. Please don't troll

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pelon208

Do you play in a area with AC??

Because i do, and i point the AC to my 360 and my PS3 so they can keep cold, it reduce the noise and there's been over 6 months with my 360 and its working like a charm (some freezing but nothing serious)

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pelon208

I am waiting for my Rings of Death. I have had the same one since the original release and I am very pessimistic about it. Why can't they just make reliable systems like they used to?whitesoxfan8907

Agreed the first xbox was a tank

LeviLRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LeviLRP

[QUOTE="whitesoxfan8907"]I am waiting for my Rings of Death. I have had the same one since the original release and I am very pessimistic about it. Why can't they just make reliable systems like they used to?Pelon208

Agreed the first xbox was a tank

Ya I know. I don't know how many times my original xbox fell onto the ground. It is still working and just fine. My friend has it now, I sold it to him. I had about 70 CDs downloaded onto it. Great times.

nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nosbig
Wow, 70 CD's that's impressive!
Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I'm pretty frustrated and wanted to see if anyone had some advice for me. My Xbox isn't that old but just before Christmas I got the Red Ring of Death. I sent it away to be repaired and they worked on it and sent it back to me after the usual 4-6 weeks. On the weekend I got my second Red Ring of Death with the same machine! I've done a little research and I find people that have had it are a little more likely to get it again. I actually got a stronger fan to mount on it just in case heat was the problem and I have it in a very well ventilated area.

Here's my dilemma, I don't want to have it repaired and have the same thing happen to me in 4-6 months from now. I was thinking about buying an Arcade 360 and swapping the hard drive from my premium 360 into it so I get to keep my save games, profile and Achievments. Is that possible? Would that work?

I was thinking I coud maybe still send off my broken machine to be serviced and sell it with a warning that it might happen again to whoever buys it?

nosbig

I would say GET A PS3 but that would just be downgrading! lol

M is for mRROD
I is for iRROD
K is for kRROD
E is for eRROD

nosbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers