Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV: Complete?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts

I realize that I am late to the party on both of these games, but I just got an Xbox 360 this past Christmas. If you had to pick one of these games which would you choose and why? A large part of my purchase will be based on the online, I love open world online gaming. Are the communities for both of these games fairly active? Which do you consider to be the better overall game?

I have played several GTA games in the past, but never a western shooter. I'm pretty sure that we will hear something about GTA V at E3 and I don't wanna buy GTA IV if the community is going to immediately die out. Anyway, let me know which one I should choose, I probably should just pick up both, lol.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

Go with Red Dead Redemption. It has a more active community, the online intergration is much better, it has a better plot, better graphics, better game mechanics, yada yada yada get Red Dead Redemption, it's better in almost every way.

Avatar image for ace-of-spades93
ace-of-spades93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 ace-of-spades93
Member since 2008 • 2456 Posts

If I was you I would pick up both as they're both brilliant.

I personally prefered GTA 4 and then the two DLC add ons were even better.

Then again red dead is completely different and then undead nightmare is amazing.

That probably didn't help sorry :L

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Get them both and thank us later. If you had to pick i'd say GTA 4 as you get more for your cash.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jurassic85
Ok so both are awesome games....which is a big part of why I am having trouble choosing. I guess a big part of what it comes down to is; how is the GTA 4 community? Still active?
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ilovegames1992

Ok so both are awesome games....which is a big part of why I am having trouble choosing. I guess a big part of what it comes down to is; how is the GTA 4 community? Still active?Jurassic85

Just got it back off my uncle few days back and its active enough if you have a good connection i guess.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#7 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts
I've only played bits and pieces of Red Dead Redemption, but I just purchased GTA IV about a week and a half ago. I'm almost done with the story and so far it's been phenomenal. I would highly recommend it.
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jurassic85
I've only played bits and pieces of Red Dead Redemption, but I just purchased GTA IV about a week and a half ago. I'm almost done with the story and so far it's been phenomenal. I would highly recommend it.Alex3796
Awesome, thanks! A couple questions, did you purchase the complete edition or just the original game? Also, have you tried to online yet or just the single player? How hard is is to find a game and how fun is it? I'll be honest, it kinda worries me that you purchased it just a week and a half ago and you are already done, I don't want to buy it and be done, I'm looking for games that will last a while. Although if that's all you've been playing then a week and a half is a good sized game.
DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
Its hard to say as they are both great games, If you want a modern setting with a decent story go with GTA IV, If you want the Old West Setting with a brilliant story go with red dead redemption, If I had to pick I really wouldn't be able to decide.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Alex3796"]I've only played bits and pieces of Red Dead Redemption, but I just purchased GTA IV about a week and a half ago. I'm almost done with the story and so far it's been phenomenal. I would highly recommend it.Jurassic85
Awesome, thanks! A couple questions, did you purchase the complete edition or just the original game? Also, have you tried to online yet or just the single player? How hard is is to find a game and how fun is it? I'll be honest, it kinda worries me that you purchased it just a week and a half ago and you are already done, I don't want to buy it and be done, I'm looking for games that will last a while. Although if that's all you've been playing then a week and a half is a good sized game.

Am i invisible or something? :cry:

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
GTA was the better game for me.
Reach-The-Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Reach-The-Myth
Member since 2010 • 453 Posts
[QUOTE="Alex3796"]I've only played bits and pieces of Red Dead Redemption, but I just purchased GTA IV about a week and a half ago. I'm almost done with the story and so far it's been phenomenal. I would highly recommend it.Jurassic85

I purchased GTA 4 : Complete, after already owning episodes from liberty city at one point... Yet I haven't looked back yet... GTA 4's campaign (for me) is just under 30 hours, and that's not messing around too much, then the multiplayer is absolutely amazing - especially the free roam! I would go for GTA 4 to be honest, as I found red dead redemption too repetitive...
Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jurassic85

[QUOTE="Jurassic85"][QUOTE="Alex3796"]I've only played bits and pieces of Red Dead Redemption, but I just purchased GTA IV about a week and a half ago. I'm almost done with the story and so far it's been phenomenal. I would highly recommend it.Ilovegames1992

Am i invisible or something? :cry:

Haha, no I saw your post man, thanks. I just wanted to get multiple opinions.
Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

So far, I've enjoyed GTA 4 more then Red Dead Redemption. This could change when I finish RDR though, but I would say go for GTA.

ilike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ilike
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
If you had to choose one, go with Red Dead Redemption. As a fan of open world games RDR is at the top of my list. The size of the map is ridiculous and the number of things you can do outside of the regular missions will definitely keep you busy for a long time. GTA IV is great too and I liked it's expansion games better than the RDR zombies. But RDR is the way to go.
nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
[QUOTE="ilike"]If you had to choose one, go with Red Dead Redemption. As a fan of open world games RDR is at the top of my list. The size of the map is ridiculous and the number of things you can do outside of the regular missions will definitely keep you busy for a long time. GTA IV is great too and I liked it's expansion games better than the RDR zombies. But RDR is the way to go.

i'm too lazy right now to list every reason why Red Dead is awesome so quoting this dude will have to do
ljameskid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ljameskid
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Read Dead Redemption. I think so because I have played both and RDR is more fun, plus all GTA's are relatively the same and RDR is different than any other series or game. So RDR for sure. It is more fun and is way more different than any other game.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
This is a tough one. Red Dead is so empty, with small towns. GTA IV is more vibrant. Both are fun, but Red Dead has better controls and is more fun as a result. Walking in GTA IV is just weird.
Avatar image for DillPickleYummy
DillPickleYummy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DillPickleYummy
Member since 2010 • 99 Posts
I liked RDR's story and characters better than GTA4. Plus its way more fun riding around on a horse, shooting wild deer and then skinning them for gold than driving around in a city.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Okay, let me add to the discussion- never played the story for GTA4, but the multiplayer free roam can be too much fun- if you can ignore the copious amounts of hatespeech you'll undoubtedly come across. RDR has a FANTASTIC storyline, but the MP is less awesome- sure it's got a lot to do, and the party system is pretty swell, but it just feels like GTA's free roam, but with... less, somehow. Really, it depends on whether you think you can make more out of the City or the West. (And in my opinion, whether you primarily want a single/multiplayer game.)
Avatar image for phillyeagles123
phillyeagles123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22 phillyeagles123
Member since 2006 • 76 Posts

Red Dead Redemption for sure. I had so much more fun playing it than GTA IV. Better storyline, better graphics, better online play, better game in general.

Alex3796

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 1

#23 Alex3796
Member since 2009 • 2669 Posts

I haven't gotten to the multiplayer yet, but I would imagine it would be pretty good. Also, I purchased the original edition without the DLC but I plan on getting the DLC in the near future. And since it's spring break, I've been playing it pretty much nonstop, I've put close to 40 hours into it on my first playthrough alone. And it has a ton of replay value.
killerkevin001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killerkevin001
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

I think you should buy GTA4 first and then Red Dead Redemption, you would get more replay value out of gta 4.