Record Gameplay (HDMI)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TitanVex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 TitanVex
Member since 2011 • 70 Posts

Hi there.

I want to record some of my gameplay on the Xbox 360. Currently, I have the Hauppauge HD PVR. That works pretty well, but it only lets me record HD Component cables (720p/1080i). I am looking for something that my Mac can record in HDMI (1080p). However, I have done some research and it looks like you can't record HDMI when playing 360 because of HDCP (?). Is there anyway to get around that to play and record in HDMI? Thank you so much in advanced.

-TitanVex

bewarethehorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bewarethehorns
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

Every legit HDMI capture device on the market will only accept non-hdcp signals. They are used mostly to transfer uncompressed video from camcorders.

And I'm assuming you're capturing the gameplay to share...you may be keeping the 720p resolution but by the time you author the video I'm sure you're compressing it which diminishes the quality anyway. It hurts a little, but in the end a smaller file size is going to be more appreciated by viewers (as it helps loading times) versus the tiniest of detail you would get out of 1080p.

TitanVex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TitanVex

Every legit HDMI capture device on the market will only accept non-hdcp signals. They are used mostly to transfer uncompressed video from camcorders.

And I'm assuming you're capturing the gameplay to share...you may be keeping the 720p resolution but by the time you author the video I'm sure you're compressing it which diminishes the quality anyway. It hurts a little, but in the end a smaller file size is going to be more appreciated by viewers (as it helps loading times) versus the tiniest of detail you would get out of 1080p.

bewarethehorns

Thanks a bunch! That helps. If that is the case, though, is there anyway for me to play HDMI but record with component cables? Probably not is my guess... Thanks again.

bewarethehorns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 bewarethehorns
Member since 2004 • 95 Posts

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure it's one or the other.

TitanVex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TitanVex
That is what I figured. Thanks for your help!