READ THIS!!! Solution to crashes caused by overheating!! (Thanks for the sticky)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

Overheating is not the only problem people are having you idiots.LARGENUTZ

Well so far it is the only problem anybody has found a temporary solution for.  I am very aware that there are other problems.  That is why I am sending my 360 in to MS, because mine has more problems than just overheating.  Think before you call other people idiots noob.

#302 Posted by vw_Magnum (97 posts) -
Thank god my floor is cold as hell, I think It'll work just fine for me to drop in on the floor. Anyway, if this crashes ain't just Sony fanboy bullsh*t Microsoft ain't nothin' but morons. I mean, before they release a console they should make sure it runs properly. I'll just have to wait until friday before I can buy a 360. I live in Sweden you know, but i DO NOT like Volvo unlike those other punkassed swedes...
#303 Posted by LARGENUTZ (4 posts) -
You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.
#304 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.LARGENUTZ

I agree that the tech support sucks.  But I am still happy knowing that in two weeks I will have a brand new system from MS instead of my defective one.

#305 Posted by the_GUNN_man (2716 posts) -

You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.LARGENUTZ

I know this is off topic but I wonder why SOOOO many phone support people barely speak english? Why do these people get hired? You would think that during the interview that if you can't understand them that why would you hire them, put a headset on them and have them talking to your customers. UNLESS this is done on purpose so that they can play the dumb role and get you frustrated enough you just hang up. The companies I have noticed who do it are: Nextel, Microsoft, SBC, Walmart.com, DirecTv, Charter,  etc. I am sure there are many others.

Sorry about being off topic had to vent.

#306 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

[QUOTE="LARGENUTZ"]You are correct. I should not have said idiots. Im just a little frustrated that my new $400 game system is not working two days after I purchased it. Then when you do call for technical support , you end up talking to someone who barely speaks English and has no technical knowledge. Way to be on top of your expected launch problems M$.the_GUNN_man

I know this is off topic but I wonder why SOOOO many phone support people barely speak english? Why do these people get hired? You would think that during the interview that if you can't understand them that why would you hire them, put a headset on them and have them talking to your customers. UNLESS this is done on purpose so that they can play the dumb role and get you frustrated enough you just hang up. The companies I have noticed who do it are: Nextel, Microsoft, SBC, Walmart.com, DirecTv, Charter,  etc. I am sure there are many others.

Sorry about being off topic had to vent.

The reason why they can't speak english is because they are over seas, usually in India.  And compared to most people in India, the MS tech support people speak pretty good english.

#307 Posted by Sparky1989 (2 posts) -
sweet thanks tried it, and WORKS thanks a lot
#308 Posted by markthebum (1249 posts) -

That's awesome, who would think?  What gave you the idea in the first part to tie the power supple to a string and dangle it int he air? Zaber123

its obviose that you need to keep the PSU cool(anyone else that knows anything about electronics should know this)

try other stuff to, like blowing a fan on it or heck put it in a laptop case with dry ice!!! cant be too cold!!!

#309 Posted by DjGaGo (2 posts) -
I just told microsoft about the problem like 30 minutes ago and I hope that they'll do sumtin about it so, it's good that there is a temporary solution, another solution that I thought is to put a comp fan to the power supply so it won't over heat in such a short period of time.
#310 Posted by YOca11 (1 posts) -
Cool! This thread has made it to Slashdot!! (I'm a Slashdot subscriber) Nice work!
#311 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

Cool! This thread has made it to Slashdot!! (I'm a Slashdot subscriber) Nice work!YOca11

Can you give me a link to it?

#312 Posted by OneWingedAngeI (9448 posts) -
you do realize that putting a heat source on such a flammable material as cardboard is a fire hazard
#313 Posted by chembro84 (829 posts) -
you do realize that putting a heat source on such a flammable material as cardboard is a fire hazardOneWingedAngeI

It doesn't get THAT hot.
#314 Posted by stogie1159 (2 posts) -
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#315 Posted by stogie1159 (2 posts) -
I bought a little wood shelf for my wall behind my hdtv and put my brick on it. No crashes yet and we've been torturing this 360, I think somone has been playing non-stop since release between my brothers-in-law, kids, and me. I think it had a 30 minute rest when we all piled in the car to go pick up PDZ.Dougolson507
Here's a thought... The wood you have been using has different heating dispersal characteristics than let's say... Carpet. I would imagine those who have their power brick against a hard surface will crash a lot less than those that have a brick up against a shag carpet. The insulative properties of the two are much different.
#316 Posted by DjGaGo (2 posts) -
You don't have to put it in the top of a cardboard, you could put it on top of some metal stand or durable plastic as long that air can circulate into it.
#317 Posted by Holden14 (4284 posts) -

*FOR SOMEONE WHOS XBOX DOESN'T CRASH ANYMORE*caps* Can you post a pic of your power brick and your 360 just so I can see how much air can get to it...like...do you have to put it in the middle of the room? or can you just put it behind your tv...I just want to see...thanks

#318 Posted by ice_radon (70349 posts) -
Wow, we have been slashdotted!
#319 Posted by twelve21 (101 posts) -
Yeah, I came here from Slashdot. It sucks that the 360s crash. Given that they crash, though, the solution is a pretty easy one, but it shouldn't HAVE to be done. They shouldn't suck like that. It's indicative of a rush job - something MS was previously criticized for anyway. Tisk tisk.
#320 Posted by slimshady007 (1269 posts) -
i tried many of the thing u listed but my 360 still frezzes
#321 Posted by Superbustacap (10663 posts) -
How do you "ventalate the system properly"?
#322 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

i tried many of the thing u listed but my 360 still frezzes slimshady007

Send your console to MS and get a new one.  That is what I am doing since mine still freezes on PDZ.

#323 Posted by glch (1 posts) -
granted I have tried this with a 360, but when my slimline ps2 would freeze after about hours of play, we would stick frozen meat on both sides, and it would cool down and start playing again.

So, just stick some porkchops on both sides, and you'll be good, just make sure to switch em out when they thaw :)
#324 Posted by BoSockin3 (378 posts) -

Hmm, I must be lucky or something, I havent had any of these problems with my 360. Played for 5 hours straight with my brick just sitting in my entertainment stand and I've had no freezing or overheating.

#325 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

granted I have tried this with a 360, but when my slimline ps2 would freeze after about hours of play, we would stick frozen meat on both sides, and it would cool down and start playing again.

So, just stick some porkchops on both sides, and you'll be good, just make sure to switch em out when they thaw :)
glch

:lol:

#326 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

I know my 360 still freezes in PDZ, but...

This is my 1,000th post!

#327 Posted by hoankiemdinh (685 posts) -
Keep up the good posts people!?
#328 Posted by tomservo51 (615 posts) -
So $Soft is losing over $100 on each console. And now they are going to lose more replacing systems and power supplys? Man, that hurts,. Maybe the shortage is a blessing in disguise?
#329 Posted by LessThanMike (5290 posts) -
So $Soft is losing over $100 on each console. And now they are going to lose more replacing systems and power supplys? Man, that hurts,. Maybe the shortage is a blessing in disguise?tomservo51

good point, i elevated mine and it hasn't froze yet...i'm debating whether to get the warranty from gamestop...i have 2 more days to get it
#330 Posted by tomservo51 (615 posts) -

ALWAYS get the warranty on new consoles!

[QUOTE="tomservo51"]So $Soft is losing over $100 on each console. And now they are going to lose more replacing systems and power supplys? Man, that hurts,. Maybe the shortage is a blessing in disguise?LessThanMike

good point, i elevated mine and it hasn't froze yet...i'm debating whether to get the warranty from gamestop...i have 2 more days to get it

#331 Posted by Freddy (1035 posts) -

I dont know what you guys are doing to make your x360 crash but I havent had that problem.  I've put my adapter on the floor (carpet) and played for hours without crash.  It might also have to do with the environment of the room.  If your room is super hot, then yes it will most likely freeze.  I've also played in harsh environments and no freeze yet.  Hopefully this doesnt happen to me and if it does I will put this method under consideration.

My x360 is flawless, so far so good.  Let's hope I didnt jinx myself but the system seems to be working great.  It does get a bit hot but dude, can you do other things rather then play the system for hours of the day?  You might want to try ice packs that are reusable.  Maybe that can help or putting it on a metal table.  I dont know, just never had this problem.

Other or, thanks for the tip.  :)

#332 Posted by dirtyamish (6 posts) -
Not to say the power supplies aren't possibly crappy, but what temperature is your home running? I keep mine at no more than 70 degrees so wondering if I should just wait till much later to get me a 360. Of course it will also help that I live in Chicago and have nice, cold, non-carpeted floors. :D
#333 Posted by craigTheBrit (1 posts) -
[QUOTE="-Unreal-"]
Its falling back down please sticky it mods!!!soul_raver47
Something this stupid doesn't need floated. Xbox 360 has a fault that needs to be addressed. A thread with some measley little thing like "have the power block off the ground" isn't float worthy.

Haha! It's all over the web and on Slashdot too, and you thought it shouldn't even be bumped :D
#334 Posted by hatchetman696 (684 posts) -
That is godly!
#335 Posted by bakerdp (205 posts) -

How do you "ventalate the system properly"?Superbustacap

Here's how - "VentIlate the system properly"

#336 Posted by bakerdp (205 posts) -

[QUOTE="Superbustacap"]How do you "ventalate the system properly"?bakerdp

Here's how - "VentIlate the system properly"

Dangit - Stupid font!!!  I used a capitol "i" to be cute.  A lot of good it did.

Trying again - "Ventilate the system properly"

#337 Posted by tarzan909 (21 posts) -
Just buy a little cardboard box and get a scissor and make a stand out of it, it works fine for me
#338 Posted by kratos419 (271 posts) -
You guys can try putting a 20 oz bottle of water half- filled in the freezer then putting that on top of a towel or something on the adapter.  This worked for my PS2 slimline which was having the same problem as you're speaking of with the 360.  Just keep two bottles so you always have one ready to go. :)
#339 Posted by ZebulonPi (24 posts) -

Dude, congratz, man. You've gone international.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27930

#340 Posted by blitzinger123 (2370 posts) -
Me and a few friends are experiencing crashes with our 360's. Not really a crash but a freeze up I should say. And its not the power. I checked the brick and system and both werent really hot. They were kinda warm but not to the point where it would cause a freeze up. My friends 360 freezes when he does split screen w/ COD2, my other friend had a freeze up while playing PDZ, and I have had my system lock up 4 times while playing PDZ. Any suggestions or anyone having this problem? Again, suspending the brick doesnt look like the answer to this problem and I've already tried it
#341 Posted by phatram32 (685 posts) -
How does everyone have their xbox 360 set up?  Is it ok to have the power supply connected to a surge protector that has multiple outlets?
#342 Posted by andyy2b (10 posts) -

I am having the same problem. All my games work fine yet PDZ will freeze up randomly regardless of how hot the system or power brick is. I tried deleting my save game file and restarting and have notcied fewer crashes, 1 as opposed to the 5 or 6 times it would crash in one game.

Out of curiosity are people experiencing the freezing problems for systems using the hard drive? I'd like to know if people using a memory card are having the same problem, cause I am saving using the hard drive and am wondering if it is the hard drive causing a problem.

Also was anyone else dissapointed by the lackluster end of game boss in PDZ?

#343 Posted by -Big_Poppa- (161 posts) -
yeah.
#344 Posted by tremo01 (13877 posts) -
Congratulations on your post, it went onto the tech web news
http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=174402212
#345 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

How does everyone have their xbox 360 set up?  Is it ok to have the power supply connected to a surge protector that has multiple outlets? phatram32

Yes it is best to have it connected to a surge protector.

#346 Posted by Panther_Modern (76 posts) -
I like your sig, proclaiming that everything was "fully paid". That's nice. That's... that's special right there...

Did you fully pay for that jerk-water cooling system too?
#347 Posted by Goldeneyemaster (6906 posts) -

I like your sig, proclaiming that everything was "fully paid". That's nice. That's... that's special right there...

Did you fully pay for that jerk-water cooling system too?
Panther_Modern

The only reasone it says "Fully Paid" on everything is because I had a bundle preordered about 2 months ago.  Then the store found out that they wouldn't get any systems on launch.  And for some reason Gamespot is messed up and I can't change my sig, so it has to stay like that until Gamespot actually fixes some problems.  And yes, I did pay for the "cooling system".

#348 Posted by Midnight_Eyez (609 posts) -
I wished this "solution" stopped my 360 from freezing, but it dosent. nither does putting my 360 and "brick" next to an open window with 10 degree wind blowing directly into my 360 and "brick", all this did was raise my heating bill. so i say F' it. I would love to just smash this system with a hammer or throw it off my roof and just take it as a $500 (with games) loss but i'am not rich like gates so i'm just gonna get a refund and wait for the PS3. any thoughts?
#349 Posted by joemlm (4 posts) -
First, A CARDBOARD BOX IS NOT SAFE WAY TO DO THIS!!! Use a metal box or heavy plastic box or crate, like a milk crate!!! Mine actually hangs form the side of my entertainment center and i have a small bendable fan on it AT ALL TIMES iT WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING.....IT MAY ACTAULLY HELP IN THE LONG TERM!!!! Remember use a crate or hag it off the side of the table or entertainment center you use, a crate is a great way to keep your XBOX360 and Power Brick OFF THE FLOOR!!! PLease spread these tips on other sites as well, with pictures if you have them Those cardboard box pictures being circulated are not very safe!!!! Thanks for your feedback joseph
#350 Posted by hirosimaka (146 posts) -
Yeah, the power brick as well as the xbox iteself puts out alot of heat.  I have both of mine sitting down on a desk, but I have a fan blowing cool air in through a window (its gotten cold since it is winter) and that works very well.